Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1215am Radar, pretty much spot on from Met Eireann, rain turning to sleet and later Snow in areas covered by warning.

DQpPt1BX0AI87zA.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    This is the point. It's almost mild for this time of year yet ME were forecasting -8 !

I believe the -8 is for Sunday night.

Critique all you want, but at least get your information correct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This is the point. It's almost mild for this time of year yet ME were forecasting -8 !

You do know how ME come to these predictions don't you ?

And has been posted there for tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Sceptics v believers, this is gonna be a mighty dust-up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Variable conditions all round

But some places will get a covering of snow and tomorrow night looks very cold with wintry showers monday morning more places could get snow

Dont worry if you get no snow from this. We are going to have the coldest Winter since 2010 so wel all get some eventually.

All the ingredients worldwide are in place for a cold European Winter. Ask the experts here. Im just an observer and predictor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

Hi all, have just registered but have been following these weather threads for quite some time and have really enjoyed them and everyone's contributions. Time has come to register, and give you an update! Snow has started falling here in Mayo, and is sticking, located between Knock village and Knock Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Raining here in Portlaoise 3.3 degrees dew point 0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The hate for Met Éireann here is unjustified that I'm trying very hard to keep out of the discussions on it but it's proving very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is going as Met Eireann predicted.
    The snow will start in the west and steadily through the night it will march to the areas that are predicted to get snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I have NEVER seen snow in Ireland without a significant block to the north whether it be Scandinavia or the Iceland/Greenland area.
    Are we seeing that now? We may see snow tomorrow as colder air digs in from the north later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Glasfield wrote: »
    Hi all, have just registered but have been following these weather threads for quite some time and have really enjoyed them and everyone's contributions. Time has come to register, and give you an update! Snow has started falling here in Mayo, and is sticking, located between Knock village and Knock Airport.

Welcome and congrats on the snow , enjoy every flake of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

A few reasons i'm happy about the snow potential for many.

1. MT's forecast and snow depths posted earlier.

2. Met Eireann's forecast. I know Gaoth Laidir thinks temps are a little high and is siding with Met UK's sleet forecast. I think the very heavy precipitation will pull those temps down.

3. The latest precip radar. Plenty of snow pink colours emerging where predicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Gaoith Laidir has called it and called it well.. I always pay attention to his posts. It’s simply to mild folks. Was it not obvious when temperatures, even under any clear skies, barely went below 0? The cold is not potent enough. Nothing more than a bit of wet snow overnight in a few select places.

This is going pear shaped. I’d imagine a lot of confused and embarrassed people come tomorrow. I’m principally referring to professional meteorologists, not the many fine people on boards.

Pretty sure you were banned for this before..

If you read the forecast you'll see it's only starting to kick off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

0.3 degrees in Galway City with very heavy rain that appears to be turning sleety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I can’t believe that we’re already having complaints about Met Eireann and the event being over less than two hours into the warning and as the first reports of snow are arriving. Makes no sense to me and these threads often end up ruined by ‘I’m right you are wrong’ and hindsight posting.

Let the reports come in. Save the analysis for after the event perhaps?

On that note it’s dry in North Kildare. No temps because I never set back up my station after we moved house

And the radar is craaaaaawling towards me. It’s so slow and I should go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Heavy wet snow now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Heavy wet snow now

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Heavy wet snow now
    where is that squarecircles?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

hes out west near the coast. great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It just started to snow here. Didn't think it would quite reach here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The hate for Met Éireann here is unjustified that I'm trying very hard to keep out of the discussions on it but it's proving very difficult.

Tell me about it.

They can only work with the information they have. Weather forecasting and indeed the associated warnings are about interpreting that information and offering advice.

There's no crystal ball or psychic powers involved and in our society of instant information people want instant satisfaction and that just can't and won't happen in this area for the foreseeable future. It's a big planet and as much as we are influencing the climate we will never be able to predict its every move.

In any event, so far Met.ie have been spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I have NEVER seen snow in Ireland without a significant block to the north whether it be Scandinavia or the Iceland/Greenland area.
    Are we seeing that now? We may see snow tomorrow as colder air digs in from the north later.

Define "significant block" in your definition, like what minimum pressure should it at least have?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Posts are going way off topic.

Posts have been deleted for being off topic and uncivil.

Pay attention to the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Snowing here in Mayo. Dog unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gone to +4.1c here in south Laois now and dewpoints have rallied up to +3.1c. Quite a breeze blowing too, averaging 11mph with gusting into the mid 20s. It seems this front has marched further north than expected allowing milder/modified air to flood in across the south east and east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Can someone explain what Dew point is for me please, seeing it mentioned quite alot over the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Waiting in Dublin here now

Where are you?

Louisburgh co mayo,

stevek93 wrote: »
    Waiting in Dublin here now

You might be waiting a while , a long while at that ................ maybe even the next event Im sorry to say

• Advertisement

where is that squarecircles?

Louisburgh co mayo

Advertisement