Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Claremorris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Calm has now turned to 5mph wind here in East Meath. Frost has just melted off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

Welcome and congrats on the snow , enjoy every flake of it :D

Just went upstairs to tell the two kids, who are so excited that they still aren't asleep, we all went outside and stood in the falling snow, was absolutely freezing (what temperature I don't know) but so worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The hate for Met Éireann here is unjustified that I'm trying very hard to keep out of the discussions on it but it's proving very difficult.

In the last 10 years i think Met Eireann have come on in leaps and bounds. And it wasn't their fault, or Met UK with the 1987 storm, that forecasts were less accurate before. The science is evolving at pace. Just look at the contributions from the top class posters here, year on year they are improving. And everyone of our top posters here has respect for Met Eireann and MT as they know the fine margins involved.

It's very easy to be critical and say i told you so if an event is slightly off. Far more difficult to make a positive input and improve on forecasting.

It reminds me of constant critics of a government during austerity who criticise but have no solutions themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Heavy sleet/wet snow in Galway city
    Temp 2.3C, DP 1.5C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭vid36

Sleet transitioning to Snow here in North East Galway close to Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

stevek93 wrote: »
    Waiting in Dublin here now
    You might be waiting a while , a long while at that ................ maybe even the next event Im sorry to say

Y'know I wonder. I'm near Swords and looking at this I'm seeing all sleet and no rain. And this before the peak yet after the temp rise.

We can always hope :)

ffdff797207ff45a1fd4b115eb3fe6fa.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

The net weather radar just took a BIG jump to pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I can’t believe that we’re already having complaints about Met Eireann and the event being over less than two hours into the warning and as the first reports of snow are arriving. Makes no sense to me and these threads often end up ruined by ‘I’m right you are wrong’ and hindsight posting.

Let the reports come in. Save the analysis for after the event perhaps?

On that note it’s dry in North Kildare. No temps because I never set back up my station after we moved house

And the radar is craaaaaawling towards me. It’s so slow and I should go to bed

http://www.ospreyweather.com/

That any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A rash of pink across mayo,sticking to the car

• Advertisement

Any Westmeath reports? Current DP there is -2. Precipitation appears to have reached the county going by the Met E radar.

pointrosee_uk_jzi3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

sleet/wet snow mix here 5 miles south of tuam, almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

White frost crystallises roofs and cars. Then it starts to rain..... I hate this country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Floki wrote: »

What site are you using?

Autochange wrote: »
    What site are you using?

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Click "weather type on" at the top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

White frost crystallises roofs and cars. Then it starts to rain..... I hate this country

Expect to be let down. Then anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

i am acually embarrised coming back on this site after a year of trying to get a grip of models myself if you cant be arsed to read thread. alot of people woud have known it was a rain to snow event.. its every man for themselves !!! may the snow be ever in your favour. fair play to all the regulars kept me amused as a lurker.hope you all get your sky full!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Netweather radar

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Heavy wet snow in West Roscommon now. Ground white.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

A rash of pink across mayo,sticking to the car

Id get that checked if I were u!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Lashing rain now in south kildare/Laois border temp around 3..the temp seems to dropping again.
    Have to drive over to Portlaoise in a couple of hours to pick herself up from her Xmas party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

sdanseo wrote: »
    You might be waiting a while , a long while at that ................ maybe even the next event Im sorry to say

Y'know I wonder. I'm near Swords and looking at this I'm seeing all sleet and no rain. And this before the peak yet after the temp rise.

We can always hope :)

ffdff797207ff45a1fd4b115eb3fe6fa.png

Starting to rain here now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Re Met Eireann

They will be more accurate than 99 percent of us

I think they do better than UK Met Office just about but the only qualm I have is why isnt their twitter radar on their normal website

There are a few other things on that twitter page I wish were on the site too like top 5 coldest locations n things like that. Maybe even a twitter feed more prominent than it is

Also if they could introduce an animated isobar chart that would be cool too

Re snow

Ive a feeling Mayo will do best outta this and North Galway n some of midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

In all fairness to Met Eireann their timing is spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lashing down here now on the south-east coast.

Very heavy rain and noticeable wind.

pauldry wrote: »
    Re Met Eireann

They will be more accurate than 99 percent of us

I think they do better than UK Met Office just about but the only qualm I have is why isnt their twitter radar on their normal website

There are a few other things on that twitter page I wish were on the site too like top 5 coldest locations n things like that. Maybe even a twitter feed more prominent than it is

Also if they could introduce an animated isobar chart that would be cool too

Re snow

Ive a feeling Mayo will do best outta this and North Galway n some of midlands

Their website is appalling. I will say that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Time: 1.15am

Still waiting for the feckin' snow to come ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Floki wrote: »

I've noticed that it tends to do that quite often at 55 minutes. The precip type chart is both model and observation based, but I would guess those big jumps are model based from the x.55 changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Well, I've got family coming from abroad and a week of drinking ahead. Sorry to p1ss on your parade (pun intended) but I hope it lashes rain all night long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

5.7c and still raining here in West Clare, torture seeing that picture from Mayo!

Advertisement