Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Nothing in Monasterevin. Lots of rain earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

Nothing in West Wicklow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Chucking down snow in South Laois. Grass and car-roofs covered. 0.6c with dewpoints at -0.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

There may be some more widespread snowfall from this point on than currently but it won’t amount to anything of note. Again prob different story above 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Nothing in Naas yet.

It's not even raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Went to bed annoyed looking at the puddles of rain but have woke up to heavy snowfall now with a good covering....South west Laois 126m asl:D:D

The good synoptics for snow don't begin until that first low dives southeast, it will be the second low forecast to track into Clare then southeast to Cork that does most of the business in terms of providing moisture and lift, but as the first low moves past Cork areas to the north of the frontal boundary should see a rapid changeover from sleet or freezing drizzle to snow.

This slow rise in temps around the south and southeast coasts is not surprising and won't be much of a determining factor. The M6 buoy was briefly in the warm sector of this first low and hit 11 C, I would not be surprised if Valentia and Sherkin Island get almost that warm for an hour or two as it slides past (maybe this next hour or two).

The heavier snow will begin after midnight and more likely around 0300h to noon in central counties, then as the system loses access to Atlantic warmth the second low will start to get surrounded by sleet or wet snow so even the south coast could end the event with a coating.

My Dublin forecasts have been quoted here but let's be realistic, this is a very tricky scenario and getting the right elevation for rain-snow boundary is difficult, I had to choose a number so I chose 150m, but it could very well be 100m to 200m.

One variable to watch in later model runs would be the exact track and intensity of the second low (there are even hints of a third low although it's more of a hangback trough). Every millibar we can get this second low to drop will be worth a cm of snow in the snowfall zones.

Spot on and correctly called. A hat tip to you MTC! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very slow downward trend in temps in Dublin 16. 1.5c DP 0.8c atm. Moderate icy/bloby rain. 12.2mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lucreto wrote: »
    Nothing in Naas yet.

It's not even raining.

Snowing a bit in Sallins now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The icy/bloby rain has now turned to sleet in Dublin 16. G'wan! 1.4c DP 0.7c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Heavy sticking snow here in west wexford- 126 asl went to bed at 2am to scenes of a flood , woke up to white lawns, roofs on houses, cars etc.

Roads currently clear but it's just started recently and is forecast to snow here ( potentially) until well into the day here. 4 or 5 pm . If it keeps up it will be a notable snow event for us .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not a smidgen of it in South carlow. West of the blackstairs

Moderate to heavy snow falling. Roads and footpaths covered. 0.4c with dewpoints of -0.5c. Proper frontal snow.

fits wrote: »
    Not a smidgen of it in South carlow. West of the blackstairs

We're on the east side and its snowing heavily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Lashing rain in Limerick all night....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The icy/bloby rain has now turned to sleet in Dublin 16. G'wan! 1.4c DP 0.7c atm.

Same here, very notable flakes in this sleet (south dublin 140m ASL) think Kermit's gut feel from a few posts back might be on to something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

barney 20v wrote: »
    We're on the east side and its snowing heavily

Whereabouts? I’m in Ballymurphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

DOCARCH wrote: »

As far as we’ll get haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

A covering here in south Cavan so far, not as much as the other night yet, but still snowing lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Moderate snow falling in Carlow town still, sticking well, good covering down now since around 5am ish (I accidentally fell asleep and missed the transition :-P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For Dublin I would expect oscillations in the rain-snow divide elevation, depends on how hard the precip is falling to some extent (to get the snow globules down low enough before they melt). The same will be true in Meath and northeast Kildare. South and west of a pseudo-warm front that will push in from the Irish Sea, all snow and heavy at times. Most likely orientation for that is north Kildare down western slopes or spine of higher ground in Wicklow then curving around to join up with the frontal zone now pushed fairly close to the south coast east of Waterford. In the southwest, it's a case of the second low drifting into the mess and failing to push back hard enough to move the fronts, which will slowly encircle that low with colder air, changing over the precip from rain to sleet then snow by early afternoon.

Would appreciate any ground reports from south central Galway, Athenry has had over 10 mm of liquid equivalent overnight, wondering if that is partly or all snow.

For Dublin I would expect oscillations in the rain-snow divide elevation, depends on how hard the precip is falling to some extent (to get the snow globules down low enough before they melt). The same will be true in Meath and northeast Kildare. South and west of a pseudo-warm front that will push in from the Irish Sea, all snow and heavy at times. Most likely orientation for that is north Kildare down western slopes or spine of higher ground in Wicklow then curving around to join up with the frontal zone now pushed fairly close to the south coast east of Waterford. In the southwest, it's a case of the second low drifting into the mess and failing to push back hard enough to move the fronts, which will slowly encircle that low with colder air, changing over the precip from rain to sleet then snow by early afternoon.

Would appreciate any ground reports from south central Galway, Athenry has had over 10 mm of liquid equivalent overnight, wondering if that is partly or all snow.

Do you expect precip to re-intensify? If so, where is the firing line?

Rathnure so directly across from you as the crow flies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain pounding the roof here, bbc forecast yesterday morning was spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Morning from 2 miles South of Athenry town. Currently,I have heard snow sliding on our roof. Checked outside, there is a light dusting of snow on the ground. Thought it would be heavier with what I saw on our velux windows! There's still time...❄️⛄️

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sleet snow mix Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

No snow in east Wicklow, Greystones, yet

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Coolbawn in N.Tipp - 10 miles North of Nenagh, beside Lough Dergdateposted-public

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

No snow in Oranmore, Co. Galway 😟

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

Snow in Louisburgh and Westport about 3-5cm as of 6am

Advertisement