Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's extreme borderline stuff really. Most places might just get some cold mucky rain affair while 20km up the road might get snow plastered. The temperature range going into the weekend is insane. We're talking 0-3 north of the country and temps as high as 8 or 9 in the south. Any difference in the systems movement is going to change someones outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ECM's snow depth for Sunday isn't much different from what it was yesterday.

voDkbz2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

At 324m asl in South East Laois, historically we've had huge localised snowfalls from these scenarios countless times. We'll be prepared!

People dividing the country between the Northern and southern half of the country miss a lot of localised micro climates. It's never as simple as a line from Galway to Dublin.

There's a big difference between southern Kerry and southern Cork on the coast and parts of the southern midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lots of divergence in different model runs still, some showing 30cm in the midlands, others showing the midlands totally snow free with snow only across the north and north west. Obviously it's gonna be a nowcast so interesting to watch, I wouldn't want to be on shift at the met tomorrow, it'll be a long one!

I'm still skeptical it won't be a mainly high ground affair but lots of potential for a real pasting across large swathes of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'd be happy with an inch of lying snow for the kids to look at. The ECM seems to deliver this to the Ennis area by sunday but, i'd say the urban heat island will mean nothing will stick anywhere within 1 or 2 km of a town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dont think we'll see much snow action now on sunday, hope im wrong but i think we are just to far east to get it, and we'll end up with a messy muck day with flooding while 5 miles down the road, its snowing like crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

nagdefy wrote: »
    At 324m asl in South East Laois, historically we've had huge localised snowfalls from these scenarios countless times. We'll be prepared!

People dividing the country between the Northern and southern half of the country miss a lot of localised micro climates. It's never as simple as a line from Galway to Dublin.

There's a big difference between southern Kerry and southern Cork on the coast and parts of the southern midlands.

you could not be in a better location and elevation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ECM's snow depth for Sunday isn't much different from what it was yesterday.

voDkbz2.png

wow it is on a knife edge if that happened....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

kod87 wrote: »

Sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be! After frontal snow 12 Jan 2010 we were snowed in for a week until a snow plough arrived! Great day 1 but boredom sets in and you feel very isolated :) Constant shoveling to make pathways from the front and back doors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

wow it is on a knife edge if that happened....

If it happened, it wouldn't really be on a knife edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If it happened, it wouldn't really be on a knife edge.

yeah sorry meant for say galway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lots of divergence in different model runs still, some showing 30cm in the midlands, others showing the midlands totally snow free with snow only across the north and north west. Obviously it's gonna be a nowcast so interesting to watch, I wouldn't want to be on shift at the met tomorrow, it'll be a long one!

I'm still skeptical it won't be a mainly high ground affair but lots of potential for a real pasting across large swathes of the country

I am too. I have a feeling it will end up going too far north and as a consequence end up as cold rain for most, aside from Ulster and high ground.
    However if it does end up being an epic frontal snow event it will be bittersweet for me watching from afar. I have not seen one measly flake of snow here yet!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Very true about the mountain micro climates
    January 2010 for example driving from Arklow to Aughrim Heavy Rain,flooding in fact after a very wet day and few days
    Road from Aughrim to about a mile from Aughavanagh Co. Wicklow deeper into the hills and patches of snow start to appear on the sides of the road but it’s still raining albeit sleetier
    It’s night but you can see the icy substance on the windscreen
    Turning left at Aughavanagh,there’s more flakes in the rain than rain
    About a mile inland further uphill and it’s a fog of driving snow
    The road is getting trickier and you can hear the frozen pile underneath the Jeep
    About 2 miles further on,the road is completely blocked,we can go no further
    We get out to a total blizzardous white out
    Just driving snow
    The road is blocked by waist deep snow
    There are farm houses up lanes totally cut off
    After a bit of playing around with taboggans on the road, we inch our way slowly in reverse until we can turn somewhere
    Below Aughavanagh it’s rain again
    Back in Arklow about 20 miles southeast of where that road was blocked,it’s a whole different cold rainy world with most people oblivious to the artic island we’d been up to and it’s isolated farm houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

kod87 wrote: »

Us too not quite as high as that but we also have a micro climate and surrounded by hills high on a plateau I'm hoping we get a but of snow action

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Very true about the mountain micro climates
    January 2010 for example driving from Arklow to Aughrim Heavy Rain,flooding in fact after a very wet day and few days
    Road from Aughrim to about a mile from Aughavanagh Co. Wicklow deeper into the hills and patches of snow start to appear on the sides of the road but it’s still raining albeit sleetier
    It’s night but you can see the icy substance on the windscreen
    Turning left at Aughavanagh,there’s more flakes in the rain than rain
    About a mile inland further uphill and it’s a fog of driving snow
    The road is getting trickier and you can hear the frozen pile underneath the Jeep
    About 2 miles further on,the road is completely blocked,we can go no further
    We get out to a total blizzardous white out
    Just driving snow
    The road is blocked by waist deep snow
    There are farm houses up lanes totally cut off
    After a bit of playing around with taboggans on the road, we inch our way slowly in reverse until we can turn somewhere
    Below Aughavanagh it’s rain again
    Back in Arklow about 20 miles southeast of where that road was blocked,it’s a whole different cold rainy world with most people oblivious to the artic island we’d been up to and it’s isolated farm houses

Sounds like a novel!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I'm hoping for a white gold around Carlow but doubting it more and more.

We had a few rain showers this evening after dark and if it wasn't cold enough then it's hard to see it cold enough on Sunday.
    Also the dreaded word thaw rears its head even if we get a big fall.
    The sadness of the drip drips, the roads clearing, green grass reappearing and finally the snowman goes dark grey and withers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Any chance of a few more counties being added to the warnings

I just added a few more for the craic. Neverwhere, the Lost Isles, Garrickmore Upper East Side and, of course, Lapland South.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

18Z GFS a downgrade for Dublin IMO (an upgrade for me as I'm flying in from Stansted), just the temperatures look too high... they're saying 4 - 5 degrees. Now I know its more than just that, but that seems a little TOO warm for a major dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

18Z GFS a downgrade for Dublin IMO (an upgrade for me as I'm flying in from Stansted), just the temperatures look too high... they're saying 4 - 5 degrees. Now I know its more than just that, but that seems a little TOO warm for a major dumping.
    18z aren't out yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Notice how quiet it has become in here? Most folk now accept that apart from high ground in midlands and mud Ulster, Sunday will be a non event regarding snowfall. It’s simply to mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Notice how quiet it has become in here? Most folk now accept that apart from high ground in midlands and mud Ulster, Sunday will be a non event regarding snowfall. It’s simply to mild.

Someone didn't wake up on the right side of the bed this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

JCX BXC wrote: »

Think that happens a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Never a truer word said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Cork

The 18z has livened up the front as it returns south and clears away late Sunday night. I see at least 4/5 hours of snow falling for us. In fact as we won't have the onshore wind problem that Dublin will I actually see us doing very well out of this.
    Definitely a rain to snow event though and our chance is very late Sunday.

Is a red warning possible for the Midlands. .....maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Nah, they are out having a pint or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

This has the potential to be an absolutely epic event, my gut feeling is Dublin will experience mixed precip with limited accumulations. I do think the Midlands and high ground in wicklow/Dublin will see copious amounts of snow though, wouldn't be surprised to see 30cm plus in some areas- @nagdefy you look in line for a major dumping.

If some feature pops up locally in the Irish Sea to cause winds at the surface to go offshore for Sunday then coastal Dublin/Wicklow/Louth will join the fun and games, that's unlikely at this stage though and isn't forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Were waiting for the model run to come out , its Friday now Im sure there is plenty of time for it to cool down by Sunday and Met Eirean didn't just put out an orange warning for the craic ,

Ok for your location it may not be great but all cards are still on the table for a lot of us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

latest?cb=20130809234255

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The kind of poster who doesn't like to respond when you point out logical flaws in their posts...

I mean, they were stating that yesterday/today's Orange warning was unwarranted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    This has the potential to be an absolutely epic event, my gut feeling is Dublin will experience mixed precip with limited accumulations. I do think the Midlands and high ground in wicklow/Dublin will see copious amounts of snow though, wouldn't be surprised to see 30cm plus in some areas- @nagdefy you look in line for a major dumping.

If some feature pops up locally in the Irish Sea to cause winds at the surface to go offshore for Sunday then coastal Dublin will join the fun and games, that's unlikely at this stage though and isn't forecast.

All comes down to wind strength for the coast. The lighter the wind, the better for us.

Real action will be inland.

Advertisement