Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Glorious day in Limerick

Temperature of 5c

Feels almost 'warm

Ice remains in sheltered hollows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

In North Kildare, it's currently 0.7c and very icy in shaded areas. Low of -6.5. coldest night since 2010, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Athlone 10/12/17IMAG10022_zpsazdkqqgo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

m17 wrote: »
    AthloneIMAG10022_zpsazdkqqgo.jpg

Is that now or yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

AthloneIMAG10022_zpsazdkqqgo.jpg

Is that today, snowing again? I've to go from Dublin to Aughrim later and the return journey in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Good skiing conditions in the mountains of waterford!
    Apparently 25cm on Seefin.
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Seefin/snow-report

Is that now or yesterday?

That was yesterday sorry should have put date on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nightmarish getting to work this morning. Frozen slush and wet snow polished into a thick film of ice. Some thawing today, but not much. Place looks a bloody mess. Latest GFS run for Christmas period.

GFSOPEU06_372_1.png

I'll take this any day over this current watered down crap.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

konman wrote: »
    Put plenty of salt down on the areas that you want to clear. Salt water has a lower freezing value than fresh water.

I was wondering about this too, can you put salt down the night before and prevent your path freezing? Or is it best to just put it on formed ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Good skiing conditions in the mountains of waterford!
    Apparently 25cm on Seefin.
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Seefin/snow-report

had the snowboard out yesterday in Sligo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] can you put salt down the night before and prevent your path freezing? [...]

Yes, you can. :)

Glencullen village Co dublin 10/12/17IMAG10030_zpsnmt5tsk0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

Lads was just lookin at the met radar and shows some rain clouds moving southwards . Is that expected to fall as rain or snow ??
    Im in south tipp area. Do a good bit of travelling so just wondering what the forcast is for later. Or will anything even reach this far ??
    3 degrees here still loads of snow on the ground !!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Glencullen village Co dublin 10/12/17IMAG10030_zpsnmt5tsk0.jpg

Nice pic of Johnny foxes pub for next years calendar :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

TECH85 wrote: »
    Lads was just lookin at the met radar and shows some rain clouds moving southwards . Is that expected to fall as rain or snow ??
    Im in south tipp area. Do a good bit of travelling so just wondering what the forcast is for later. Or will anything even reach this far ??
    3 degrees here still loads of snow on the ground !!
    Thanks

Rain....maybe a bit of wet sleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I can see the Irish Sea shower train from here near Arklow
    Some beautiful cb and anvil clouds capes in it

Current temp here is 3.4 c

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain....maybe a bit of wet sleet.

Nice one , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A quick tip for icy paths and driveways, dishwasher salt is excellent for clearing ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This was the scene this morning for me:

FFwTEJF.jpg

Here's a pic my friend over in midlands of England sent me. I absolutely love this picture, honestly one of my favourite weather pics I've seen.

WFJpWGn.jpg

There was chaos at Heathrow yesterday because of Unforecasted snow
    Here’s what a BA cabin service manager posted about it on a UK forum I’m a member of

It should put into perspective complaints about our met service
    It’s a science but it’s not perfect and situations like the weekend are a nightmare for forecasters anywhere regardless of experience or resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Got pished off with all your pics of snow so like any good vigilante i took matters into my own hands....

Dublin mountains this morning :)

20171211_131813.jpg
    how to upload image on website

20171211_130132.jpg
    how to upload image on website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Drive home showed great improvements in the Galway east minor roads but still plenty of black ice. People driving way too fast for the conditions.

Ok time to do my bit for the South Wicklow North Wexford Tourism authority :D

This is the view from beside Ballyfad hill today,panning the camera from Arklow over to Courtown
    You can also see the shower train out over the sea in this

https://youtu.be/oB0Kh1hZ3g4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally home after spending the past 36 hours in County offaly. As expected there was no snow through most of the east, nothing but green fields and rain all the way to Kinnegad, then about 3km further west on the M6 the fields very quickly turned from green to white and we were in a winter wonderland.

By the time we reached the snowfields, the snow had turned back to rain/sleet, there was a good 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground in Clara, County Offaly. The thaw then set in and was fairly rapid, however today there is still about 1-2 inches on the ground in places and very icey. it was great to be able to see the snow, however there is nothing like having snow in your own back garden, it's just not the same when you find it somewhere else!.

Drove through a heavy sleet shower on the way home near Dunshaughlin and now that I am home, my search goes on for potential snow in snow starved County Meath!.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Gonzo wrote: »
    finally home after spending the past 36 hours in County offaly. As expected there was no snow through most of the east, nothing but green fields and rain all the way to Kinnegad, then about 3km further west on the M6 the fields very quickly turned from green to white and we were in a winter wonderland.

By the time we reached the snowfields, the snow had turned back to rain/sleet, there was a good 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground in Clara, County Offaly. The thaw then set in and was fairly rapid, however today there is still about 1-2 inches on the ground in places and very icey. it was great to be able to see the snow, however there is nothing like having snow in your own back garden, it's just not the same when you find it somewhere else!.

Drove through a heavy sleet shower on the way home near Dunshaughlin and now that I am home, my search goes on for potential snow in snow starved County Meath!.
    You will be left wait WaitingðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Some pics from The Hellfire Club today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can someone tell me what’s the easiest way to post pics from an iPhone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what’s the easiest way to post pics from an iPhone ?

Attach files

Advertisement