Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

-8 or possibly lower Sunday night, incredibly cold by Irish standards,coldest since 2010???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

-8 or possibly lower Sunday night, incredibly cold by Irish standards,coldest since 2010???

That will be the case over areas where snow is lying. I could well see temperatures even colder than that locally...

I'd say we might break the coldest since 2010.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pauldry wrote: »
    Met Eireann has also mentioned -8c in their latest forecasr

2.1c in Sligo now and getting calmer

Calm will bring snowpfully

-1.1 in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Some talk of 2010. But that was an arctic
    snap - it was so cold for so long - hit 20 below!!- it was a relief when the thaw set in (and I'm a snow lover)

2009 was another white Christmas up here, but it was lovely snowfall, soft and not freezing or icy.

For both those events it was a cold late November - with lots of icy mornings. We had only a couple of those this year - It will be lovely to get a bit of lying snow come Sunday morning but I can't see it remaining unless we are in for a prolonged cold snap? Are we? We have been having temperate weather for so many winters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

That will be the case over areas where snow is lying. I could well see temperatures even colder than that locally...

I'd say we might break the coldest since 2010.

Not going to happen, unless it drops down to -17.5C which was recorded in Straide, Mayo in 2010 or for those who split hairs Castlederg who recorded -18.7C.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Not going to happen, unless it drops down to -17.5C which it will not since Straide 2010 or for those who split hairs Castlederg who recorded -18.7C

Record since 2010 ;)

Not breaking a record set in 2010...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

arctictree wrote: »
    I wonder is there also a chance of freezing rain? I remember Xmas day a few years back. It was 0.5c all day and pissing rain from a warm front hitting cold air. The road was like an ice rink. Can't remember the exact year.

Still haven't looked at any charts or soundings but I'm thinking the same. Freezing rain is a strong possibility and I'm sure one that will need attention. It's more likely further south, where the upper warm front is above zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Record since 2010 ;)

Not breaking a record set in 2010...

Ah the record was set in 2010, why say break, that would imply colder than 2010, but I get what your saying it would be the coldest since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Late February to early April 2013 was very cold with air frosts almost every night, can't recall any exceptionally cold nights though. Early Feb 2012 had a brief easterly and from a quick look the lowest I can find is -6.3C at Mullingar on 02/03/12, I'm sure Sryan will have a definitive answer

Cold temps Sunday night depend on there being deep and widespread snow cover so no guarantee yet it'll be that cold or where any cold temps will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It got very cold here in Athenry last November. We ended up getting a burst pipe in the attic. Think it was below -5 for a few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still haven't looked at any charts or soundings but I'm thinking the same. Freezing rain is a strong possibility and I'm sure one that will need attention. It's more likely further south, where the upper warm front is above zero.

Had a quick look at gfs soundings for the midlands and north earlier and lapse rates are fairly linear throughout, temps above freezing at ground level. Might be an issue later on in the south when the cold digs in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Had a quick look at gfs soundings for the midlands and north earlier and lapse rates are fairly linear throughout, temps above freezing at ground level. Might be an issue later on in the south when the cold digs in

please god no. remember christmas day 2009, temp was -2 and it rained. place was like an ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Late February to early April 2013 was very cold with air frosts almost every night, can't recall any exceptionally cold nights though. Early Feb 2012 had a brief easterly and from a quick look the lowest I can find is -6.3C at Mullingar on 02/03/12, I'm sure Sryan will have a definitive answer

Cold temps Sunday night depend on there being deep and widespread snow cover so no guarantee yet it'll be that cold or where any cold temps will be

I’ll talk about this tomorrow for you. Need to get some sleep after a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pretzill wrote: »
    Some talk of 2010. But that was an arctic
    snap - it was so cold for so long - hit 20 below!!- it was a relief when the thaw set in (and I'm a snow lover)

2009 was another white Christmas up here, but it was lovely snowfall, soft and not freezing or icy.

For both those events it was a cold late November - with lots of icy mornings. We had only a couple of those this year - It will be lovely to get a bit of lying snow come Sunday morning but I can't see it remaining unless we are in for a prolonged cold snap? Are we? We have been having temperate weather for so many winters now.

November 2017 had more cold than November 2009. November 2009 was very mild and exceptionally wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Very true about the mountain micro climates
    January 2010 for example driving from Arklow to Aughrim Heavy Rain,flooding in fact after a very wet day and few days
    Road from Aughrim to about a mile from Aughavanagh Co. Wicklow deeper into the hills and patches of snow start to appear on the sides of the road but it’s still raining albeit sleetier
    It’s night but you can see the icy substance on the windscreen
    Turning left at Aughavanagh,there’s more flakes in the rain than rain
    About a mile inland further uphill and it’s a fog of driving snow
    The road is getting trickier and you can hear the frozen pile underneath the Jeep
    About 2 miles further on,the road is completely blocked,we can go no further
    We get out to a total blizzardous white out
    Just driving snow
    The road is blocked by waist deep snow
    There are farm houses up lanes totally cut off
    After a bit of playing around with taboggans on the road, we inch our way slowly in reverse until we can turn somewhere
    Below Aughavanagh it’s rain again
    Back in Arklow about 20 miles southeast of where that road was blocked,it’s a whole different cold rainy world with most people oblivious to the artic island we’d been up to and it’s isolated farm houses

That sums it up Wheaten Briar. The difference the few metres make and your cut off. I remember i was working in Portlaoise for the 31 March 2010 hill snow event. Boss was kinda questioning me when i said i was snowed in. E-mailed him a few pics and he said it's like a different country.

Another time i drove to Portlaoise with 6 inches of compact snow on my car roof. The car was mobbed by youngsters who had a good oul snowball fight! As the snow was hard and compressed one chap was split open!

Euro4 for Sunday 6 am. Backing up the theme of on shore wind preventing snow on East facing coasts

17121006_0818.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Someone didn't wake up on the right side of the bed this morning!

He lives by the coast and gets less snow than most aha ha:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Coldest temperatures each winter (from our winter forecast contest threads)

2011-12 __ --6.3

2012-13 __ --7.6

2013-14 __ --4.6

2014-15 __ --7.9

2015-16 __ --5.9

2016-17 __ --7.3

These will be only at the 25 stations that report daily on the website, the larger network of stations may have had slightly lower readings than these in any instance.

GFS 00z has things a little further north (no doubt to be sent further south again on the next run) - but it's out on it's own among the main models.

HIRLAM 00z - 6 am Sunday

hirlamuk-1-29-0.png?09-05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

UKMO looks further south too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

update at 5:31 am from met.ie:

Tonight rain will spread from the southwest. The rain will be heavy and persistent and will bring local spot flooding to the south and southwest. As it moves northwards it will turn to snow, bringing large accumulations to Connacht, the midlands and much of Leinster. Temperatures overnight will be between minus 1 and minus 5 degrees, coldest in the east. Temperatures in west Munster will remain above freezing. Winds will be moderate to fresh southeast to east, becoming strong westerly in Munster by morning.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Sunday, will see further heavy rain and snow falls. Temperatures in the afternoon will struggle to rise above freezing in the north and will linger between 1 and 4 degrees for much of the country. Munster and the south coast will be between 7 and 9 degrees and higher along the south and southwest coasts. Winds will be strong east to northeast in the northern half of the country and strong westerly in the south, with the east to northeast winds becoming widespread in the evening. The rain and snow will peter out during the second half of the day, with the risk of snow extending in to Munster in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

IS Dublin out of the picture now ?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    IS Dublin out of the picture now ?

Probably. But we don't know for sure yet. This is going down to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Probably. But we don't know for sure yet. This is going down to the wire.

The orange snow warning from met eireann for dublin is still in place. Not sure why people keep saying it is not. It’s clearly on the met eireann website, Dublin is listed among those on the orange warning.

Shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, parts of dublin got snow yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dublin to be -3 tonight and a high of 3 tomorrow according to met eireann. If few points are low that is ideal for dublin snow. Looks like a lot of places could get a good covering tomorrow. Good to see met eireann still have the orange warning in place this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Dublin to be -3 tonight and a high of 3 tomorrow according to met eireann. If few points are low that is ideal for dublin snow. Looks like a lot of places could get a good covering tomorrow. Good to see met eireann still have the orange warning in place this morning

Agreed there’s obviously a good reason behind the fact that Dublin are still orange , we’ll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Lots of snow coming to our area it looks like, south Cavan and freezing cold, down as low as minus 8 on Sunday night.
    We had considerable snow on Thursday night, still lying in the fields though the roads are mostly clear. This sounds like it could be a more significant event. Its alright to look at and dream of perfect snow pictures but its a worry too.
    4 cars have to make work from our house, one does considerable travelling, not looking forward to that part, it can be a worrying period and a proper hassle. Not really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Agreed there’s obviously a good reason behind the fact that Dublin are still orange , we’ll see!

Dublin has high ground too. I would expect somewhere like Glencullen to see snow, as well as the Dublin Mountains.

Not convinced the more populated (lower level) areas of Dublin will see snow? I'd be more confident of a a cold rain 'event' for most of Dublin. :( Hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Any chance of this shifting further north to S Armagh Newry region. Looked good a day or so ago. Is it the consensus now that this will miss much of S Ulster region?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

update at 5:31 am from met.ie:

Tonight rain will spread from the southwest. The rain will be heavy and persistent and will bring local spot flooding to the south and southwest. As it moves northwards it will turn to snow, bringing large accumulations to Connacht, the midlands and much of Leinster. Temperatures overnight will be between minus 1 and minus 5 degrees, coldest in the east. Temperatures in west Munster will remain above freezing. Winds will be moderate to fresh southeast to east, becoming strong westerly in Munster by morning.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Sunday, will see further heavy rain and snow falls. Temperatures in the afternoon will struggle to rise above freezing in the north and will linger between 1 and 4 degrees for much of the country. Munster and the south coast will be between 7 and 9 degrees and higher along the south and southwest coasts. Winds will be strong east to northeast in the northern half of the country and strong westerly in the south, with the east to northeast winds becoming widespread in the evening. The rain and snow will peter out during the second half of the day, with the risk of snow extending in to Munster in the evening.

Good to see Met Eireann mentioning Munster later in the day though MT reckons only in higher ground. I hope this works out for people further north. Am always dubious about these Atlantic events turning to snow.

Advertisement