Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Was that at the end of leg 4? If so, everyone was aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Yes it was at the end of leg 4. I believe it couldn't have been missed alright so it's unlikely the handover marshall wasn't aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I was there when incoming runner collapsed, she recovered fairly quickly. She was within 100m of handover and outgoing runner went back to touch. Would not be in spirit of event to disq or deem non competitive IMO.

If she recovered quickly could she not have made it to the finish line herself? Seems odd that the outgoing runner was essentially allowed complete the incoming runner's leg on fresh legs and without a penalty.

If you fall mid leg you're on your own and it's up to you to dust yourself off and finish.

I know it's not black and white but she didn't finish her leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 x 400m relays have a 20m changeover zone

If the runners handed over about 100m from the normal handover point, that is well within 5% of the leg distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dowee wrote: »
    Seems odd that the outgoing runner was essentially allowed complete the incoming runner's leg on fresh legs and without a penalty.

But he also added some additional distance to his own run. As was pointed out they did make the handover so I don't see it as a big issue. In the earlier posts it sounded like he ran off on this leg before she got in which isn't what happened.

RayCun wrote: »
    4 x 400m relays have a 20m changeover zone

If the runners handed over about 100m from the normal handover point, that is well within 5% of the leg distance.

Valid point. But surely the incoming runner has to make it into the handover zone? If the runner stopped before it I dont think the outgoing runner can go back and get the baton.

I'm not familiar with the exact rules so may well be wrong on it.

Hurrache wrote: »
    But he also added some additional distance to his own run. As was pointed out they did make the handover so I don't see it as a big issue. In the earlier posts it sounded like he ran off on this leg before she got in which isn't what happened.

Where do you draw the line on that? 100m, 500m, 1km? I see the point but respectfully don't agree with it.

If the incoming runner can't complete the leg there should be consequences in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Valid point. But surely the incoming runner has to make it into the handover zone? If the runner stopped before it I dont think the outgoing runner can go back and get the baton.

in the 4 x 400, the scratch line is in the middle of the 20m handover zone, so the waiting runner could go back 10m to get the baton

Where do you draw the line on that? 100m, 500m, 1km? I see the point but respectfully don't agree with it.

If the incoming runner can't complete the leg there should be consequences in my opinion.

There is no line... decisions are made based on common sense, and in this case mixed with a bit of compassion.

• Advertisement

There is no line... decisions are made based on common sense, and in this case mixed with a bit of compassion.

Compassion was sorely lacking from the team in question when one of their non running members was seeking time penalties for our team for a wayward runner. Our runner hadn't even finished his leg and been given a chance to explain his mistake.

If it's a competition there's not much room for liberal application of some rules and strict adherence to others imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There is a consequence: the outgoing runner has to double whatever the distance is back from the handover. In the case in question, the outgoing runner had to run 200m, where the incoming runner (if they finished) would have just had 100m to cover. In fact, the team in question lost a place due to this, they were overtaken while the outgoing runner was running the extra 100m

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    There is a consequence: the outgoing runner has to double whatever the distance is back from the handover. In the case in question, the outgoing runner had to run 200m, where the incoming runner (if they finished) would have just had 100m to cover. In fact, the team in question lost a place due to this, they were overtaken while the outgoing runner was running the extra 100m

I was referring to a penalty for non completion of the leg. There was a runner on leg 2 who wasn't given the option to run back and tag his team mate who couldn't finish leg 1. Their time was non competitive.

Compassion was sorely lacking from the team in question when one of their non running members was seeking time penalties for our team for a wayward runner. Our runner hadn't even finished his leg and been given a chance to explain his mistake.

If it's a competition there's not much room for liberal application of some rules and strict adherence to others imho.

I’m speaking about the race organizers. Other than that some people have class, others don’t, it’s not something anyone can control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I was referring to a penalty for non completion of the leg. There was a runner on leg 2 who wasn't given the option to run back and tag his team mate who couldn't finish leg 1. Their time was non competitive.
    What do you mean by they weren't "given the option"? A marshal told them they couldn't, or they didn't attempt it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I’m speaking about the race organizers. Other than that some people have class, others don’t, it’s not something anyone can control.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Would have been some crack if they checked for jackets:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

In specific regard to the leg 2 runner he himself informed the marshall (me) that his leg 1 runner had abandoned and would not be finishing leg 1.

In that team's particular case they were non-competitive from the start anyway and as such it didn't matter when the leg 2 runner started.

The marshall (me) made an on the fly decision to send off that leg 2 runner with the next runner due out, or whenever he wanted as long as he told us his go time.

In more general terms if a team starts competitively but fails to show up to Curtlestown I presume they would have been made non competitive but defer to the race organisers decision on the day.

It's very hard to have hard and fast rules for an event like this and such rules would reduce it's appeal.

A reasonable racing decision was made in the 3 cases mentioned I think.
    You could argue (and we have) over the length of the time penalties but the race played out satisfactorily from a dramatic and racing viewpoint.

It's a great race and thanks to the marshals and organisers. I appreciate that there are grey areas and calls to be made. That possibly adds to the event but I guess leads to discussions like this.

We received a penalty for a wayward runner yet others didn't for a similar offence. We took it on the chin and the runner himself admitted to it.

What was particularly irksome on the day was the non running crusaders member or supporter approaching our team about the runner (whilst he was still on the course) and also requesting a penalty with the marshall and all the while one of their runners didn't finish a leg and received no penalty.

Anyway, looking forward to next year's event already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

For those with further interest in hilly relay action check out the event Dessie Shorten is organising. www.therelay.ie for later in June.
    A mix of the Avonmore way and the Wicklow way across 5 legs.
    TT Runners won last year :-) That doesn't mean we can't all have a go and have some craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

For those with further interest in hilly relay action check out the event Dessie Shorten is organising. www.therelay.ie for later in June.
    A mix of the Avonmore way and the Wicklow way across 5 legs.
    TT Runners won last year :-) That doesn't mean we can't all have a go and have some craic.

‘Tis a good one.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

for those of us lucky enough to live within striking distance of Wednesday evening leagues we are really getting it good at the moment. The weather obviously helps but the races are just class. Loving it.
    Carrick last night was super, my only lingering regret was not having time to sample a pint afterwards. Great course in the dry, and it was dry last night.
    T runner really jolted the race into life with a savage climb but luckily for the lads he decided to call it a night then. Paul Mahon is some man, I think I have yet to see him before I hear him on a hill when he's marshalling, great support. As always, thanks very muchly to the volunteers for giving up their race so I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Peterx wrote: »
    for those of us lucky enough to live within striking distance of Wednesday evening leagues we are really getting it good at the moment. The weather obviously helps but the races are just class. Loving it.
    Carrick last night was super, my only lingering regret was not having time to sample a pint afterwards. Great course in the dry, and it was dry last night.
    T runner really jolted the race into life with a savage climb but luckily for the lads he decided to call it a night then. Paul Mahon is some man, I think I have yet to see him before I hear him on a hill when he's marshalling, great support. As always, thanks very muchly to the volunteers for giving up their race so I can.

I live in north Wicklow and was browsing the imra site and was intrigued by the midweek league. Unfortunately I was t ready to join in this year. Though I would like to give it a bash in the future.

With that in mind, can anybody recommend a good trail shoe? I’m a fairly big guy and a heavy overpronator. I wear brooks adrenaline on the road.

Have worn a salomon hiking boot in the past and found it great.

Any replies appreciated!

I live in north Wicklow and was browsing the imra site and was intrigued by the midweek league. Unfortunately I was t ready to join in this year. Though I would like to give it a bash in the future.

With that in mind, can anybody recommend a good trail shoe? I’m a fairly big guy and a heavy overpronator. I wear brooks adrenaline on the road.

Have worn a salomon hiking boot in the past and found it great.

Any replies appreciated!

There are some popular shoes out there but its a matter of personal choice too and can depend on the terrain.
    Many wear running shoes by inov-8 e.g. XTalons.
    Many wear salomon e.g. speedcross.
    Many also wear trail runners from more common road runner marques e.g. asics and adidas.
    If you are running on mainly forest fire-road the latter type of runners will do the job for you. If you need to be running offroad on boggy mountain or muddy tracks then thats where the likes of inov-8s come into their own.

If you find a size / style that fits you can find good bargains here:-
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=inov-8

There are some popular shoes out there but its a matter of personal choice too and can depend on the terrain.
    Many wear running shoes by inov-8 e.g. XTalons.
    Many wear salomon e.g. speedcross.
    Many also wear trail runners from more common road runner marques e.g. asics and adidas.
    If you are running on mainly forest fire-road the latter type of runners will do the job for you. If you need to be running offroad on boggy mountain or muddy tracks then thats where the likes of inov-8s come into their own.

If you find a size / style that fits you can find good bargains here:-
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=inov-8

Much obliged, for both the info and the link;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Folks. With the dry weather road shoes are wearable for many of these races:
    Anyone experience good pairs (road racers) that might fit the bill? Light, flexible, decent grip and a bit of protection for under foot stones?

demfad wrote: »
    Folks. With the dry weather road shoes are wearable for many of these races:
    Anyone experience good pairs (road racers) that might fit the bill? Light, flexible, decent grip and a bit of protection for under foot stones?

True enough. I remember doing Lugnacoille one year after a dry spell and wore racing flats and the running was great over the dry bog. Did I hear that when Lenihan set his Carrauntoohil record he wore racing flats too?

Class run and win by Seamus Lynch on Lugnacoille on Saturday. Fastest time according to recent records too which is saying something.

Leinster League wraps up tomorrow at Downshill. Not really a Leinster League hill but we've mixed up the route to get the trails some variety. Big crowd signed up. Must be all hungry for the BBQ. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Myself and a mate are running the Glacial Lakes route (starting and finishing in Glendalough) next week and I’m wondering if there’s an outside tap at the An Oige hostel in Glenmalure where I could fill up. Or does anyone know if it’s open and in operation at the moment.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Myself and a mate are running the Glacial Lakes route (starting and finishing in Glendalough) next week and I’m wondering if there’s an outside tap at the An Oige hostel in Glenmalure where I could fill up. Or does anyone know if it’s open and in operation at the moment.

Cheers.

Not sure re: an outside tap but fairly sure the place only opens if there is an actual booking, so a chance nobody will be there at all

Advertisement