Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Draft XI - Discussion Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

6 Posts Max
    Draftees are snapping up celebs like they are hot, no one has taken my earmarked pick yet.

Burt Reynolds and Adam Sandler both going gor the first time eill no doubt bring freshness to each roster they join while Bob Barker will be a fascinating choice to monitor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

6 Posts Max
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Draftees are snapping up celebs like they are hot, no one has taken my earmarked pick yet.

Burt Reynolds and Adam Sandler both going gor the first time eill no doubt bring freshness to each roster they join while Bob Barker will be a fascinating choice to monitor.

I have a plan B celeb pick in mind now, someone I researched before but then got a high draw and ended up with Rousey or someone, completely forgot about them this year until now. Actually think they will be a lot more fun to write for than my original plan for Logan/Jackman too but this year (only 4 posts) I don't think I will be writing the same kind of thing (weekly shows) anyway. Cmon peeps don't take this planned pick like the others :o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

4 Posts Max
    I'll have my pick up in a little bit. I think I'll leave the celebs this year.

Update: pick made and PM sent. I always wanted to use this guy.

6 Posts Max
    MNG is the man to beat, it should be Joe as a two time winner but the 3 time winner MNG with that roster! the guy challenges even when he gets bad draws but now Ricochet/Prince Puma adds so much value especially at rd10. Def different dimension than the one I intend to add to my roster anywhoo

6 Posts Max
    To make sure we dont yave any major delays, the rumble sweep will decide round 12 now instead of 11. That ok with everyone..... if so thank the post, if not please state so.

If the majority agree i shall do the draw for round 11 soon after

• Advertisement

6 Posts Max
    MNG is the man to beat, it should be Joe as a two time winner but the 3 time winner MNG with that roster! the guy challenges even when he gets bad draws but now Ricochet/Prince Puma adds so much value especially at rd10. Def different dimension than the one I intend to add to my roster anywhoo

Hes always the man to beat, no offence to any one else but hes the draft king. He turns out the best draft write ups year after year.

I had no plans to draft Ricochet at all this round as i never thought he would reach me but as the celebs got drafted one by one i got hope he would reach me. Hope dashed by MNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

4 Posts Max
    Been in bed under the weather the past 24 hours but it gives me the chance to take a look at the rosters so far. This list is from the most recent update from the front of the picks thread in case I've missed any names:
    Uncle Walt: HBK Shawn Michaels; Brian Pillman; Legion of Doom; Hayes and Gordy The Fabulous Freebirds; Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard; The Dynamite Kid; The Big Show; Bam Bam Bigelow; Eric Bischoff; Magnum TA;

You always pick very well and this year is no different. Really like the look of this roster and there's several names I'd love to have. The Dynamite pick was one of the best of the game I'd say. I felt you got great value with that one. I can see this roster being a big contender.
    Lord TSC: Brock Lesnar; Big E and Xavier Woods; Shinsuke Nakamua; Dean Ambrose; Bobby Lashley; Kofi; Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman; Hardcore Holly and Crash Holly; Dan Severn; Kari Sane;

A lot of great potential in this roster and Brock must be very exciting to get to write for. Brock vs Lashley could be epic if that's the plan although there are lots of options. I like the hardcore type element you've added the last few picks too. New Day were a great coup and Ambrose can prove very useful as well.
    JP Liz V1: Daniel Bryan; Christopher Daniels and Kazarian; Ethan Carter III aka Derrick Bateman; John Morrison and Joey Mercury; Austin Aries; Tyson Kidd and DH Smith; Fit Finlay; Sara Del Ray; Gail Kim; Petey Williams;

You've drafted excellent wrestlers here and are guaranteed great matches. I like the fact you have EC3 and Daniel Bryan on the same roster as if memory serves me right, Bryan was his mentor on NXT when he was known as Derrick Bateman. Looking forward to the plans for your tag division too which looks strong.
    Spongey1975: The Undertaker; Ricky The Dragon Steamboat; Ted Di Biase and Irwin R Schyster; Bray Wyatt; The Revival (Dash and Dawson); War Machine; Booker T; The Iron Shiek; James Storm and Abyss; Nikolai Volkoff;

You've drafted loads of great characters to write for here like Taker, Wyatt, Dibiase, Booker, Sheik, Abyss. I'm keen to see the feud in mind for Taker and how you choose to use him. Nice bit of back story with Dibiase and Taker on the same roster, also the Bray and IRS connection. Keen to see what happens.
    DM_7: The Rock; Jake The Snake Roberts; Tetsuya Naito; Alberto Del Rio; Corey Graves and King Neville; Charlotte Flair; Trish Stratus; Matt Riddle & Jeff Cobb; Carlito and Primo; Ricardo Rodriguez;

Some mouthwatering match-ups available here. A lot of great promo potential for these characters, especially Rock and Jake. Looks like a potentially terrific women's match too.
    Mr. Guappa: Stone Cold Steve Austin; The Young Bucks; Cesaro and Chris Hero; Becky Lynch; Marty Scurll; Asuka; Stephanie McMahon; Harley Race and Marty Jannetty; Elias; Sasha Banks;

Looking forward to the Austin/Stephanie dynamic which should be great. I wonder who your opponent for Austin will be as there are a few exciting options. Also keen to see the plans for Becky, someone I've always wanted to use. Harley Race was a great value pick recently.
    Bounty Hunter: Roman Reigns; Dusty Rhodes; Kazuchika Okada; Kenta Kobashi and Mitsuharu Misawa; The Usos; Jimmy Snuka & Jesse Ventura, Val Venis & The Godfather; Nick Bockwinkle and Dory Funk Jr; Nigel McGuinness; Naoimi;

I liked that you made the ballsy call of going for Reigns and it could prove an inspired decision. The Usos being there alongside him also makes sense. Some great Japanese talent on your books too along with US legends like Rhodes and Bockwinkel. One of the rosters to watch I suspect.
    beakerjoe: Bret Hitman Hart; Samoa Joe; Chris Benoit; Rey Mysterio; Gargano and Ciampa; Paul Heyman; Andrade Cien Almas; Davey Richards and Roderick Strong; Muhammad Hassan; Eddie Edwards;

The champ is always the one to beat and you've taken some superb technical wrestlers alongside great characters like Heyman and Hassan. I know the Benoit pick has caused some discussion the last few pages and I can understand the perspectives as he was probably my favourite wrestler before the crimes happened and since then I've tried to avoid his matches. With regards the write-ups though I want to be fair and open-minded. If anyone can handle the issue appropriately, it's yourself.
    Furious-Red: Seth Rollins; Jeff Hardy; Sami Zayn; Aleister Black; Cody Rhodes; Wade Barrett; Paul London and Brian Kendrick; Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley; Ember Moon; TJ Perkins;

Some great talents chosen and lots of interesting main event options. Rollins vs Jeff could be a great feud although Sami seems much more interesting now compared to previous years since in previous drafts he was guaranteed to be a face whereas now he could be a heel too. The tag division looks very nice as well.
    Necrominus: Batista; Ultimate Warrior; Braun Strowman; Authors of Pain; Antonio Inoki; Big Cass & Enzo Amore; The Bludgeon Brothers (Erick Rowan and Luke Harper); Chyna; Hurricane Helms; Beth Phoenix;

One of the reasons I was so keen on seeing the recent UFC Heavyweight Title bout is because it's always satisfying watching big dudes beat the hell out of each other and your roster provides plenty of that. Even the women on your roster are strong! Keen to see Batista's opponent. The Animal vs The Monster Among Men could be terrific.
    Mr.Nice Guy: Chris Jericho; Broken Matt Hardy; Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi; Scott Steiner; Rob Van Dam; Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody; William Regal and Lance Storm; Kerry Von Erich and David Von Erich; Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson - The Rock 'n' Roll Express; Marcus Bagwell

The picking phase has been my big problem in recent years so I'm aiming to do better this time in that department. Happy with how it looks so far but still a fair bit of the game to go.
    ShagNastii: Triple H; Vincent Kennedy McMahon; Pete Dunne and Trent Seven; Tyler Bate; Goldust; John Bradshaw Layfield; Yokozuna; Zack Sabre Jr; Velveteen Dream and Lio Rush; Minoru Suzuki;

Very interesting statement of intent with the first two picks being two of the most powerful men in the business. The storyline potential is very exciting. Looking forward to your plans for Suzuki. The Velveteen Dream pick was a very nice one; I'm a big fan of his act.
    paulie21: Kurt Angle; Goldberg; Bobby Roode; Rusev and Aidan English; Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas; Sheamus; Shane McMahon; Tazz and Spike Dudley; Ryback; Alexa Bliss;

Love some of the names on this roster. Angle vs Goldberg could be amazing, though Angle vs Rusev, or even another Angle/Shane match could be great. Keen to see what the plans are for Roode as well.
    connemara man: John Cena; The Miz; Kevin Owens; Vader; Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel (Miztourage); Bayley; Lita; Mark Henry and MVP; Damien Sandow (Trade Out: X-Pac); Tye Dillinger

Love Bayley and Lita on the same roster. The wholesome sweet girl vs the raunchy, extreme one. Vader is one of my favourites so keen to see what the plan is for him. A match with Cena would do big business.
    A Brad Maddox Guy: Hulk Hogan; Eddie Guerrero; Andre The Giant; Dolph Ziggler; Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole; Jason Jordan and Chad Gable; Raven and Tommy Dreamer; Keiji Mutoh & Masahiro Chono; AJ Lee; The Sandman;

Lots of exciting possibilities here for the Hulkster - a match with Eddie which could play on how Eddie was held back in WCW, or even a rematch with Andre. Some great tag team bouts available as well.
    daithi1989: Randy Orton; AJ Styles; Finn Balor; Gallows and Anderson; Bully Ray (Dudley); Alexander Wolfe and Killian Dane; Diamond Dallas Page DDP; Drew McIntyre and Jinder Mahal; Nia Jax; Eric Young;

This is a great looking roster with lots of exciting feud potential. Orton vs DDP in a battle of the RKO vs the Diamond Cutter would have me sold. Then there's the Bullet Club dynamic with Balor and Styles and Gallows and Anderson. This roster can be in the mix to win the whole thing.
    Kolido: Edge; Scott Hall (Trade for Sting); Kevin Nash; Billy Gunn and Road Dogg - New Age Outlaws; Christian; Sycho Sid; Beefcake and Valentine; John Laurinaitis & Shane Douglas; X-Pac (Trade out: Damien Sandow) & Titus O'Neil; Gangrel

Getting the Outsiders together via some trading was a great move and Edge and Christian being together is always exciting. Looking forward to seeing what your main event match will be as there are several options.
    LeeJM: Macho Man Randy Savage; Sting (Trade for Scot Hall); Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig; Shibata and Goto; Will Ospreay; Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA; Bobby "The Brain" Heenan; Jushin Thunder Liger; WALTER & Axel Dieter Jr; Jordan Devlin; Miss Elizabeth;

One of the best looking rosters with a great flavour of late 80s and modern wrestling. Some great matches guaranteed here and I like that you have a legendary manager like Heenan to be the voice of guys whose English isn't so great. This roster can be a definite winner.
    Alfred Borden: "Rowdy" Roddy Piper; Ric Flair; Owen Hart and British Bulldog; Ravishing Rick Rude; Kane; Lex Luger; Jeff Jarrett; Demolition (Ax and Smash); The Midnight Express (Stan Lane & Bobby Eaton); Paige;

Very nice old school roster you've formed here with some of the greatest talkers of all time, not to mention what looks like a great tag team match in there too. Excellent potential here for your write-ups and this show can be right in the mix.
    SlickRic: Mick Foley; CM Punk; Hiroshi Tanahashi; Terry Funk; Umaga; Jerry 'The King' Lawler; Bruno Sammartino; Jay Briscoe and Mark Briscoe; Mr Kennedy; Rosey;

You always pick well and there is amazing promo potential here with the likes of Foley, Punk, Funk and Lawler, and the matches would be just as gripping too. Eager to see how it all plays out and which guys pair off with each other. Umaga and Sammartino were impressive picks.

Excellent standard of picks this year. Should mean great things for the write-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

4 Posts Max
    To make sure we dont yave any major delays, the rumble sweep will decide round 12 now instead of 11. That ok with everyone..... if so thank the post, if not please state so.

If the majority agree i shall do the draw for round 11 soon after

FWIW if Bounty Hunter is currently asleep and not back on until round 4am our time as sometimes happens then you might not need to change anything considering it would be over less than 24 hours later. Don't mind either way, just something to keep in mind. Had I gotten my pick in earlier we'd possibly be finished the round by now :pac:

Gotta admit I was delighted to see so many celebs getting picked, I assume Faarooq would've been gone by my pick had it been a regular round.

6 Posts Max
    FWIW if Bounty Hunter is currently asleep and not back on until round 4am our time as sometimes happens then you might not need to change anything considering it would be over less than 24 hours later. Don't mind either way, just something to keep in mind. Had I gotten my pick in earlier we'd possibly be finished the round by now :pac:

Gotta admit I was delighted to see so many celebs getting picked, I assume Faarooq would've been gone by my pick had it been a regular round.

Ill see how the game goes tomorrow before deciding on round 11's order. With the Rumble on tomorrow night there may be some more activity so Id like the game to move at a nice pace too. But we shall see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

5 Posts Max
    Ill see how the game goes tomorrow before deciding on round 11's order. With the Rumble on tomorrow night there may be some more activity so Id like the game to move at a nice pace too. But we shall see how things go.

I think do the R11 draw before the Rumble, as you say we could get a run of picks during it. Plus, for my own selfish interests, knowing where I pick in the next round will possibly influence my pick this round (17th), and I think next round order has been announced around pick 15 in most rounds. One if the advantages of a late pick in a given round is that you can pick knowing how long you've got to wait until your next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

6 Posts Max
    Pick made.
    PM sent.

Couldn't resist.

5 Posts Max
    SlickRic wrote: »
    Pick made.
    PM sent.

Couldn't resist.

I think BH is to pick before you?

6 Posts Max
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think BH is to pick before you?

He PM'd me to go. I didn't even check.

EDIT: I've taken down my pick.

6 Posts Max
    SlickRic wrote: »
    He PM'd me to go. I didn't even check.

EDIT: I've taken down my pick.

Did he have his pick in the PM by any chance?

6 Posts Max
    Did he have his pick in the PM by any chance?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

5 Posts Max
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think do the R11 draw before the Rumble, as you say we could get a run of picks during it. Plus, for my own selfish interests, knowing where I pick in the next round will possibly influence my pick this round (17th), and I think next round order has been announced around pick 15 in most rounds. One if the advantages of a late pick in a given round is that you can pick knowing how long you've got to wait until your next one.

Agree with this - I drafted Nia in last round, with the knowledge that I could get Ronda with the Low Draw in this round!

6 Posts Max
    Round 11 draw is up, Rumble sweep will affect round 12 instead. Good luckk

reemember its based of of the WOMENS Rumble

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

5 Posts Max
    Well that sucks. :pac: 19th, 20th... can't complain tbh my primary roster is already formulated.

6 Posts Max
    Not sure what happened there as I waited to sleep till Brad picked then (I thought I had) picked myself before messaging Slick. Pm sent again anyway and im sure he still can get who he intended as I doubt he was going for Adam West BAYBAY!

6 Posts Max
    Not sure what happened there as I waited to sleep till Brad picked then (I thought I had) picked myself before messaging Slick. Pm sent again anyway and im sure he still can get who he intended as I doubt he was going for Adam West BAYBAY!

Now i know Adam was picked before but iirc the criteria was met die to a combination of relaxed rules. Does mr west met the celebrity criteria this round..... is Memphis an eligible promotion

• Advertisement

6 Posts Max
    Necrominus wrote: »
    Well that sucks. :pac: 19th, 20th... can't complain tbh my primary roster is already formulated.

Well the reason you were 19th the current roind was due to your slightly better draws previously. Quit your belly aching

6 Posts Max

Now i know Adam was picked before but iirc the criteria was met die to a combination of relaxed rules. Does mr west met the celebrity criteria this round..... is Memphis an eligible promotion

I honestly didn't even think about it, I mean if people are eligible due to just having been seen in a crowd and he was drafted before and as shown in the pick was an actual participant in an on air promo with Lawler in Memphis then I just assumed.

If people object then I'll re pick no bother

6 Posts Max
    this should make it fine yes?
    This promotion was a chief NWA territory during the 1970s and early 1980s while operating out of Tennessee and Kentucky. The CWA was a member of the National Wrestling Alliance until 1986

6 Posts Max
    this should make it fine yes?

Where is the source and in what year did West appear

6 Posts Max
    Where is the source and in what year did West appear

The promotions wiki and 1976, Don't think he was actually picked before think it was just me pointing out how he would have been eligible one year after the round was gone.

6 Posts Max
    Ah it was the later i remeber now.

I can say with confidence the CWA thats Lawler was part if was under the NWA mid atlantic banner.... Ill allow it.

6 Posts Max
    And for the record , i hate being the guy thay has to run rule over potential picks but i hope you all realise that I simply want to ensure the rules we outlined in the op are met. I want to reward research but not at the expense of the integrity of the rules.

I think one idea for next year is to make all wrestling promotions eligible from the start.

6 Posts Max
    Ah it was the later i remeber now.

I can say with confidence the CWA thats Lawler was part if was under the NWA mid atlantic banner.... Ill allow it.

Yeah him and Jarrett split it around a year prior to Adam West BAYBAY!'s arrival but Lawler's stayed an NWA affiliate.

thank fook, just did my first bit of writing for this and was afraid I'd have to scrap another plan.

6 Posts Max
    And for the record , i hate being the guy thay has to run rule over potential picks but i hope you all realise that I simply want to ensure the rules we outlined in the op are met. I want to reward research but not at the expense of the integrity of the rules.

I think one idea for next year is to make all wrestling promotions eligible from the start.

Yeah I think a lot has changed since we started drafting and the rules might have to change now too. For example I honestly have no issue with intergender teams being draftable now that the womens championship is included for the tag rule. I am sure there are a number of things we could look into.

Your doing a good job Joe and even though you had me scared there that my research (not from this year tbh) might not pay off im happy your checking such picks.

• Advertisement

5 Posts Max
    Pick made and PM sent.

Advertisement