Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fodder Crisis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw this online earlier.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ireland-the-wettest-the-country-has-been-in-over-300-years/?utm_content=buffer2df01&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Last 10 years wettest in previous 300, :(

Definitely feels like it, things will change on marginal land as it’s such an uphill expensive battle.

You'd have to wonder why 2017 was not included in that 10 year comparison?

2017 was the driest year in (I haven't got the records and I haven't got the inclination to look for them on met eireann ) how many years?
    But in Johnstown Castle it was 30 mm drier than the previous year and 100mm drier than the year before that.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=1775

Someone's looking for more funding me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is it possible they took the sum of the rainfall for the last 10 years and compared it to ten year periods over the last 100 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭I says

This is Ireland it always fcuking rains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I says wrote: »
    We were away for a week last year and it only rained twice.

Once for 3 days and once for 4 days.:pac:

Odelay wrote: »
    Is it possible they took the sum of the rainfall for the last 10 years and compared it to ten year periods over the last 100 years?

It seems like it according to the article.

I never knew proper records were kept and measured in the same place in Ireland for 300 years.

The Romans named this country Hibernia.

"Land of winter".

Land full of cows with so much grass their bellies burst.:)

We went through the warm 90's and 00's when it was reported that we would never see snow again. That didn't last long.

There's a lot more influences on our weather than carbon but it always gets lumped in to serve a purpose.

Edit: But actually farmers should probably roll with this. In Australia farmers seemingly are getting paid according to how much carbon is being sequestered in the soil. So happy days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw this online earlier.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ireland-the-wettest-the-country-has-been-in-over-300-years/?utm_content=buffer2df01&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Last 10 years wettest in previous 300, :(

Definitely feels like it, things will change on marginal land as it’s such an uphill expensive battle.

1900mm is a lot, that must be Valentia, we only get an average of around 950mm here per anum. Lies damn lies..... springs to mind.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Odelay wrote: »

Have a read of this;
    https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp

rain03.gif

Frank McCourt in Angela’s ashes said it always rained in limerick before he emigrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So, some lads here will be cutting silage in 5 weeks time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It seems like it according to the article.

I never knew proper records were kept and measured in the same place in Ireland for 300 years.

Such records here only go back about 150 years - have to say I'm a bit dubious about the conclusion from that link, especcially when you read accounts of climate related famines here during the 17th and 18th centuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Water John wrote: »

Will have some on or before may 10 already z grazed ,got slurry and bagged p+k will be topped up with n + sulphur next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Will have some on or before may 10 already z grazed ,got slurry and bagged p+k will be topped up with n + sulphur next week

How long do you leave between the n and the compound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

How long do you leave between the n and the compound

Got 3*10 10 20’in February

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Such records here only go back about 150 years - have to say I'm a bit dubious about the conclusion from that link, especcially when you read accounts of climate related famines here during the 17th and 18th centuries

They still don't know what definitely caused the "Little ice age" here but most likely it was the Sun.
    Some commentators would tell you we could be heading back that way.
    This was published back in 2015.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/a-mini-ice-age-is-coming-in-the-next-15-years

It's playing out fairly well so far with this year looking maybe to be the most lacklustre year on record since NASA records began of sunspot activity.
    http://spaceweather.com/

Although 2009 will be hard beat.
    But this last cycle just never got to the highs of previous cycles.
    If you read the space weather website it mentions increased cosmic rays leading to increased cloud cover and bad weather.
    Sounds sci fi but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

No growth here really yet , bales disappearing far too fast , be in deficit now for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

You'd have to wonder why 2017 was not included in that 10 year comparison?

2017 was the driest year in (I haven't got the records and I haven't got the inclination to look for them on met eireann ) how many years?
    But in Johnstown Castle it was 30 mm drier than the previous year and 100mm drier than the year before that.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=1775

Someone's looking for more funding me thinks.

The 3 weather stations nearest me had 2017 wetter than 2016.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Water John wrote: »
    Dont know about 5 weeks but just decided toclose a couple bits if ground that were not grazed this spring.probaly just throw out 40units of n to keep options open as regards zero grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are beef factories slow to take cattle at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From that met eireann webpage
    Rainfall shows great year to year variability. A 30 year running mean of the national annual rainfall indicated an increase in average national rainfall of approximately 70mm over the last two decades.

As with the annual totals of rainfall, all seasons show a small increase in totals over the last few decades.

So ME data over the last 30 years shows that it has got wetter.

Around here I've never seen the land so wet for so long over the last couple of years at least.

Though I reckon we only have two real seasons in this country - there's the wet season and then theres the slightly less wet season.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Imagine what a disaster it would have been to get that 10 year wet spell in the 70s when everyone was making hay instead of silage. The whole industry would have been destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭kk.man

Imagine what a disaster it would have been to get that 10 year wet spell in the 70s when everyone was making hay instead of silage. The whole industry would have been destroyed.
    They were bad years in the 70s too where 'black' bales of hay were made. Only difference there wasn't as much stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Crops were very light too and were almost halfway there before they were cut. Farmers had it down to a fine art. That expertise is long gone and obsolete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

If you were to take all the old timer anecdotes on board you would believe that back in the 40’s 50’s and 60’s Ireland had a Mediterranean climate in summer and an arctic climate in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

20silkcut wrote: »
    If you were to take all the old timer anecdotes on board you would believe that back in the 40’s 50’s and 60’s Ireland had a Mediterranean climate in summer and an arctic climate in winter.

I am in my mid 50's in Kerry and I can say that frost was a regular occurance we got snow ever few years but I remember really good summers during the mid late 70's and the early 80's with one exception that was the summer's of 1980 and 1982, I think which were a wash out. We made hay every year except 1982 when it was so wet we had to make silage, it was the first time we made it.

When I first moved up the country the first thing I noticed was the frost was a lot harder that we got down there then around the 90's frost started to disappear until this year and 2009-2011. We actually got sunny summers then as opposed to overcast ones. Yes you got rain but was more summer showers, hail stone was common enough.

I like to see a sunshine chart for comparrison as opposed to rainfall. While rainfall may be similar and Tempeartures higher and it as dry then as now I think we get less sunshine and less frost that we did 40 years ago

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

20silkcut wrote: »
    Crops were very light too and were almost halfway there before they were cut. Farmers had it down to a fine art. That expertise is long gone and obsolete.

Definitely, could you imagine trying to cut today's silage crops with a knife bar mower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I am in my mid 50's in Kerry and I can say that frost was a regular occurance we got snow ever few years but I remember really good summers during the mid late 70's and the early 80's with one exception that was the summer's of 1980 and 1982, I think which were a wash out. We made hay every year except 1982 when it was so wet we had to make silage, it was the first time we made it.

When I first moved up the country the first thing I noticed was the frost was a lot harder that we got down there then around the 90's frost started to disappear until this year and 2009-2011. We actually got sunny summers then as opposed to overcast ones. Yes you got rain but was more summer showers, hail stone was common enough.

I like to see a sunshine chart for comparrison as opposed to rainfall. While rainfall may be similar and Tempeartures higher and it as dry then as now I think we get less sunshine and less frost that we did 40 years ago
    I'm in Cork and around the same age as you, it was 1981 that we had the wet summer. I bought a square baler in 82 and spent a good part of that summer baling hay. We did have colder winters in the 70's and better summers, plenty snow falls as well.

Definitely, could you imagine trying to cut today's silage crops with a knife bar mower.
    It was hard enough to cut crops of hay in the 70's with a finger bar especially if it were slightly lodged. Every blade of grass would want to be standing tall for those mowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I'm in Cork and around the same age as you, it was 1981 that we had the wet summer. I bought a square baler in 82 and spent a good part of that summer baling hay. We did have colder winters in the 70's and better summers, plenty snow falls as well.

Could have been 1981 but I remember two bad summers around then as I was just leaving school and beacause of a family breavement in 1980. But I think the weather is a good bit different to then.

Slava Ukrainii

Frank McCourt in Angela’s ashes said it always rained in limerick before he emigrated.

He also tugged off to sheep with his friends, the man was full of lies.

• Advertisement

Could have been 1981 but I remember two bad summers around then as I was just leaving school and beacause of a family breavement in 1980. But I think the weather is a good bit different to then.
    83 was a great summer and 84 had no rain from April to September. 85 was a washout. I can't remember 1980.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

In all fairness the summers were alot better in the 80/90's if you took 85/86 out of it ,it was a complete different climate .All the silage was made locally with 90 hp 2 wd tractors and drawn with nathional or lee single axle 13x8 ,nowadays you would be lucky to get 2 days to go with a 4 wd and flotation tyres on trailers .I can also never remember such continuation of bad weather during winters ,I worked off farm in the noughties and the weekend was for farming and i can never remember not one saturday/sunday that the weather was so bad that you could not get the all the farm jobs done ,no wonder the country was booming every day was too the good!!!

I’ve neighbours ringing for bales this week things are getting desperate another cold ****ty day here no growth will be the 1st of may before anything gets out around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I’ve neighbours ringing for bales this week things are getting desperate another cold ****ty day here no growth will be the 1st of may before anything gets out around here.

Few boys hitting the wall around here too

Reggie. wrote: »
    Few boys hitting the wall around here too

Dairy men in deep sh1te

Dairy men in deep sh1te

New big farmer around Lough ennell I think is out

The Scottish one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Bord Bia lad was here doing the inspection lately said its nothing but depressed farmers around.
    said he doesn't want to be the one pushing anyone over the edge so he's working with lads trying to get them certified but its not easy when you see the state some lads are in.

easy count the bales in every yard now, tank here is full out they go next week if at all possible

How long did was he in it?

• Advertisement

The Scottish one

Yep. Seen his pits empty a good week ago. Not sure where his feed is coming from and he has plenty of mouths

Yep. Seen his pits empty a good week ago. Not sure where his feed is coming from and he has plenty of mouths

Fcuk me and he parted with plenty of dollar for that place to start with not to long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Fcuk me and he parted with plenty of dollar for that place to start with not to long ago

Was alot of cheerleading been done about the place too, lasts years poster boy for dairying is in serious bother trouble aswell, pity the print media don't run a few stories on these lads now to show the other side of milking 100"s of cows without carrying proper fodde reserves

Look I’m not getting into hammering anyone for getting caught out for fodder it must be an awful situation to be in at the moment this year has been very late to get going.
    But this part of the world here would 99 times out of a hundred only start warming up in the last week or two so lads would always be cutting it fine.

Look I’m not getting into hammering anyone for getting caught out for fodder it must be an awful situation to be in at the moment this year has been very late to get going.
    But this part of the world here would 99 times out of a hundred only start warming up in the last week or two so lads would always be cutting it fine.

Lads I think just listen to the pros of certain farming practices and not the cobs that can hit ya. Like this year could take 5 years to recover from financially for some lads

If you were to attribute this bad cold wet weather and late spring to the drop in this current solar cycle (and there's irrefutable evidence imo) then this winter/spring is only the start of it. We've another possible 3 or 4 years before the cycle starts on the uptick again.
    Even then according to the mathematician Pr Valentina Zharkova the next cycle will be even lower and this winter/spring weather may become the norm for a while.

f10.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you were to attribute this bad cold wet weather and late spring to the drop in this current solar cycle (and there's irrefutable evidence imo) then this winter/spring is only the start of it. We've another possible 3 or 4 years before the cycle starts on the uptick again.
    Even then according to the mathematician Pr Valentina Zharkova the next cycle will be even lower and this winter/spring weather may become the norm for a while.

f10.gif

12/ 13 was as bad in terms of wet summer cold spring, it was prob worse down here back then.

f10.gif

Ah stop, that lad wants to be the new Ken Ring, we'll take every year as it comes.

When you said out I though you meant gone out of dairying.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Was alot of cheerleading been done about the place too, lasts years poster boy for dairying is in serious bother trouble aswell, pity the print media don't run a few stories on these lads now to show the other side of milking 100"s of cows without carrying proper fodde reserves

Wasn't there some young fella in Galway started in dairying and up to 300 cows now with only housing for 100 and the rest graze fodder beet in the field for the winter. I'd like to see how that works in practice, also it's goes against nitrate regulations that the rest of us have to adhere to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    When you said out I though you meant gone out of dairying.

That's what I thought too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement