Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fodder Crisis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone wanna go on a ski trip straight to Austria before calving season??

Not travelling this year, educational bills mounting:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Heading next Saturday

dzer2 wrote: »
    Heading next Saturday

Enjoy. Took kids this week last year. 1 guy medial ligament on day 2 and his sister broken arm day 3 but she was back skiing next morning. Really enjoyable trip. Chap that did knee got a full leg cast but went tobogganing each day regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

We used go every year for about a decade
    Its amazing how kids have no fear
    About the 2nd or 3rd trip I was up at the top of the mountain just off the chair lift when a group of them used me big lad as I am for support ...
    Well gravity took over and me with my limited skills took off like a rocket :D
    Crossed several other runs shouting to avoid collision
    Eventually at least a few km"s later I managed to stop in a large level area
    It took about 15 mins for the class and instructor to arrive and she said 'Mr Mortelaro, what you did was very very dangerous'

It wasn't my fault :D

Mortelaro wrote: »
    We used go every year for about a decade
    Its amazing how kids have no fear
    About the 2nd or 3rd trip I was up at the top of the mountain just off the chair lift when a group of them used me big lad as I am for support ...
    Well gravity took over and me with my limited skills took off like a rocket :D
    Crossed several other runs shouting to avoid collision
    Eventually at least a few km"s later I managed to stop in a large level area
    It took about 15 mins for the class and instructor to arrive and she said 'Mr Mortelaro, what you did was very very dangerous'

It wasn't my fault :D

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not travelling this year, educational bills mounting:)

For yourself or the kids?😀

Heading next Saturday

Enjoy. Took kids this week last year. 1 guy medial ligament on day 2 and his sister broken arm day 3 but she was back skiing next morning. Really enjoyable trip. Chap that did knee got a full leg cast but went tobogganing each day regardless

Oh we can't wait all 5 kids are well able to ski only the baby of the family in classes this year. On the first year we went a German youth swept the missus of a piste damaging her knee ligaments. Haven't had any problems since thank God.

It's a great break

Oh we can't wait all 5 kids are well able to ski only the baby of the family in classes this year. On the first year we went a German youth swept the missus of a piste damaging her knee ligaments. Haven't had any problems since thank God.

It's a great break

What I love about it is the family element, all can go together for parts of the day. You can get pissed too as there’s no driving

Yes love the skiing together have brilliant videos of us all doing moguls and yumps.

As for getting pissed I try not to, but would always have a beer with my lunch.
    Found a great apri ski bar lady yr where we could dance on the tables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yes love the skiing together have brilliant videos of us all doing moguls and yumps.

As for getting pissed I try not to, but would always have a beer with my lunch.
    Found a great apri ski bar lady yr where we could dance on the tables

Well worth hanging around any of the La folie douce bars just after closing time (around 5pm), several 100 absolutely plastered 20yr olds making their way down the slope, absolutely brilliant entertainment watching them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just home after being in town for Sunday dinner with herself and the chaps. After the Christmas I have had I am starting a self inflicted fodder crisis tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Grueller wrote: »
    Just home after being in town for Sunday dinner with herself and the chaps. After the Christmas I have had I am starting a self inflicted fodder crisis tomorrow.
    :D

I'd say I'm after putting on a complete condition score:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A bowl of palm kernel every morning will soon have ye back in shape.

February and March won't be long peeling the condition off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

:D

I'd say I'm after putting on a complete condition score:pac:

I'm having a glass of wine for Nollag na mban, that's my excuse anyway. Back to reality tomorrow. Daughter threw down her school uniform to be washed about an hour ago....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've 6 cans of Smithwicks here to get through shortly. Starting back running with a vengeance tomorrow and aiming for the Mullingar Half on Paddy days

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'm having a glass of wine for Nollag na mban, that's my excuse anyway. Back to reality tomorrow. Daughter threw down her school uniform to be washed about an hour ago....

Loads of time, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

jimini0 wrote: »
    Mini round bales v normal rounds. What's the difference in amount. Would a mini be half a normal one

What diameter is a mini bale? Normal rounds 4.5 ft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What diameter is a mini bale? Normal rounds 4.5 ft?

Ask some of the lads selling straw last harvest. Some of the round bales I saw offered for sale were a disgrace.

Just an update. Pulled on the good trousers today to go to a funeral. Button pulled off when I closed it. No option but to hide it with a belt and drive on. I'd like to know who let the trousers in since I wore it 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

orm0nd wrote:
    Ask some of the lads selling straw last harvest. Some of the round bales I saw offered for sale were a disgrace.

One local miser baled 23 4 by 4 to the acre I would imagine there easy to sprong around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

grassroot1 wrote: »
    One local miser baled 23 4 by 4 to the acre I would imagine there easy to sprong around

New loaders with weighcells and a moisture meter would sort a lot of that out.
    You're codding no one with that carry on.
    Build a good relationship with a straw supplier and knowing that no crap will be carried out on both sides means everything.

Just an update. Pulled on the good trousers today to go to a funeral. Button pulled off when I closed it. No option but to hide it with a belt and drive on. I'd like to know who let the trousers in since I wore it 3 weeks ago.
    They just don't make trousers like they used to:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Them skinny jeans show no mercy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Everyone knows that chocolates make clothes shrink in the wardrobe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »

Are you getting much cycling done since you reduced the flock a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lads, it’s the washing machine, it keeps shrinking my pants. Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Lads, it’s the washing machine, it keeps shrinking my pants. Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I'm blaming the dryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Don't think there was any, he said mow today pick up Saturday

Someone near Dungarvan must've been drinking the same koolaid. Saw a load of freshly made unwrapped bales on the road between there and the aforementioned Lemybrien on Saturday. Cows out here today. I couldn't cope with the peer pressure. Like being 15 all over again.

Nothing skinny about any jeans I ever got into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bullocks wrote: »
    Are you getting much cycling done since you reduced the flock a bit

None, I had a lot of problems this year with a hernia and didn't get it fixed until september. hopefully this year now

None, I had a lot of problems this year with a hernia and didn't get it fixed until september. hopefully this year now

Excuses excuses

Reggie. wrote: »
    Excuses excuses

Says the one...

Says the one...

You leave me alone missus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is 9 pound enough of ration for fattening AAx heifers on good silage? Sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is 9 pound enough of ration for fattening AAx heifers on good silage? Sound

Plenty id imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Half of them out, for the last week, 9 of that have not seen my shed since arrival in Sept.

Have the silage but making the most of the weather.

Fields closed in Dec. are looking good for march, if not sooner with any mildnesd.

Fields closed in oct are being kept fir silage, no choice now, grass lifting for the last 3 weeks, relatively speaking. The fields being strip grazed are already seeing growth in the first part.

The cattle were dosed 8 weeks ago.

Make the most of it now if one can, take pressure off the back end, just in case. It is an April turnout here, often enough as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

I have 3/4 of the pit left (at least enough until may) but I always like to have some left over. Everyone around here still have big pits of silage left. Still see silage being put up on done deal for 40 a bale. I'd say those lads will be left with it at that price. Also another gas thing is that nearly all the ads are saying silage from reseeded fields. I'd say the reseeded part was from 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

mengele wrote: »
    I have 3/4 of the pit left (at least enough until may) but I always like to have some left over. Everyone around here still have big pits of silage left. Still see silage being put up on done deal for 40 a bale. I'd say those lads will be left with it at that price. Also another gas thing is that nearly all the ads are saying silage from reseeded fields. I'd say the reseeded part was from 20 years ago.

Keep your powder dry, it's early days yet, anything could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭older by the day

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    How many selling bales demand payment before they are loaded?
    They should, nearly every one I know have been "caught" at sometime. I had a very careful lad telling me last year what a good cash customer he had paying him b4 he loaded, he collected two loads th we same day in March and told the lad he would be back in the evening from the bank to pay, he's not back yet. EATEN BREAD IS SOON FORGOTTEN. As I'm at it it costs me 22 Euro to make a bale, drawn into the yard. Including fert, mowing, baking, plastic, slurry, drawing. I do most of the mowing and drawing but machinery has a cost too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Walked the farm today. Grass covers well ahead more like early March covers rather than mid January. Ideal conditions to spread Urea or slurry. Ground conditions more like late March often spread Urea with ground softer. Definitely looking at mid/late February to start turning out.

Measure ground temp last Saturday it was 10C that is 4-5 degrees above normal years. Hard to see it grass stopping growing for long this year with ground as dry as it is and days getting longer. There will be nearly 10 minutes Morning and Evening added in daylight this week. By mid February days will be over an hour longer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

It must be fairly short in spots. I know a lad looking for some hay or silage. Anything advertised within a few miles is gone within minutes. He said that he rang 2/3 lads with allot of fodder advertised 200 bales ish. Gone within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Good loser

Heard today that Kildare straw suppliers were ringing dealers in Limerick with offers.
    Wouldn't sell in Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Good loser wrote: »
    Heard today that Kildare straw suppliers were ringing dealers in Limerick with offers.
    Wouldn't sell in Autumn.

They can stick it where the sun don't shine. My haulier used to buy thousands of bales from Kildare every year. Last harvest they jocked him rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭kk.man

Good loser wrote: »
    Wouldn't sell in Autumn.

Winter is not over yet.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Winter is not over yet.

We haven't had winter yet imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

We had nine months of winter last year,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

didn't you hear? this April, WINTER IS COMING!!!

https://youtu.be/wA38GCX4Tb0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emaherx

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    We had nine months of winter last year,

And 9 months of summer...... It was a long year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
Advertisement