Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fodder Crisis

1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

If, by any chance, there’s a fodder crisis for a few minutes, I decided to make a few of these things...drop a pm, as usual.

Lol, there will be. You should organise a big shed over here to sell them out of in the Midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lol, there will be. You should organise a big shed over here to sell them out of in the Midlands.

Could be handy during drought season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

If, by any chance, there’s a fodder crisis for a few minutes, I decided to make a few of these things...drop a pm, as usual.

Dawg, if that was my field, should I be getting rid of the mower or the driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bet it was the claas mowers he used. Hes not impressed with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bet it was the claas mowers he used. Hes not impressed with them

It's not grass though.

Lucerne more like. You have to leave a bit of height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Nothing too wrong with either man or mower.
    It’s a mix of peas and Italian ryegrass that got badly lodged. The ryegrass is for seed and should be combined in July. Thus it had to be mown at 10cm.

It’s a mix of peas and Italian ryegrass that got badly lodged. The ryegrass is for seed and should be combined in July. Thus it had to be mown at 10cm.

Bet you mowed it so. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Interesting, I presume you had skids under the mower to keep it up that much?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bet you mowed it so. :D

Nope.
    Nice try though.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I presume you had skids under the mower to keep it up that much?

Mounted mowers so just lengthening the toplink does the trick.

I’m very pleased with that crop. It was direct drilled into wheat stubble at 100kg/ha of home saved pea seed, and 15kg/ha of ryegrass seed costing €45/ha. No fertilizer or weed spray.
    Yielded 29 bales per hectare weighing 670kg at about 33%dm.
    Offers? :).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Well what a difference a year makes.most people have heaps of stuff in loads of silage hay straw available at cost or below prices .so with second cut in whats the strategy for the autumn as regards grass/fert/silage.is it worth planting forage crops this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

K.G. wrote: »
    Well what a difference a year makes.most people have heaps of stuff in loads of silage hay straw available at cost or below prices .so with second cut in whats the strategy for the autumn as regards grass/fert/silage.is it worth planting forage crops this year

Plenty of fodder in stock. But typical year around here back feeding 30kg/hd silage atm. Raining now, if we get enough of it silage could be out again in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »

Will do a blast of reseeding here. Hopefully be up 20 to 25 cow's next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Puck!!! Meant to close this thread........

... and consign events to history. Forgotten history!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »

Too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

greysides wrote: »

Ah don’t. Least we forget the pain of winters past and the joy of getting to the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I think it's going to be a surplus of bales crisis now. Every place is heaving with bales and grass.
    Made 60 bales of hay last friday, didn't even bother seeing if they could be sold as you'd nearly have to give them away. I've no empty hayshed to put them into. I'm thinking of getting a roll of pallet wrap and wrapping them by hand on the cylinder and leaving the ends exposed.
    Its been some year for growth, cattle are mud fat yet the price of cattle are on the floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think it's going to be a surplus of bales crisis now. Every place is heaving with bales and grass.
    Made 60 bales of hay last friday, didn't even bother seeing if they could be sold as you'd nearly have to give them away. I've no empty hayshed to put them into. I'm thinking of getting a roll of pallet wrap and wrapping them by hand on the cylinder and leaving the ends exposed.
    Its been some year for growth, cattle are mud fat yet the price of cattle are on the floor

that is a brilliant idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What are big squares of barley straw making? Out of the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Anyone weigh a 22 ft grass silage trailer full...no run off down 18hrs, probably just over 25%DM...

Or any sizes and we can compare..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

alps wrote: »
    Anyone weigh a 22 ft grass silage trailer full...no run off down 18hrs, probably just over 25%DM...

Straumann giga viteese 17 tonnes. If you could cube it for an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

alps wrote: »

22’ super cube Smyth trailer full to water level 16 tonne

Advertisement