Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Act One Scene IV - In the shadow of Sanderjarn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Greetings Master Durivoc! The city guard directed me to you, on the instructions of one of my travelling party, a Dwarf Master McGillicuddy, or Bandy as we commonly know him. He said that you are the man to consult on weapons. Specifically my weapons *removes two handed sword, long sword and dagger - slowly, no startling him* need sharpening and rehoning. Is that something that you can take care of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Necrominus wrote: »
    'The seal of Vergedain? There be somethin' afoot if the elders are handin out seals to random dwarves. Ye know anythin about why they be giving such an honourable gift to the common folk?'
    "Not in truth. They gave it to us to convince you to come see them as soon as ye have legs."

BandyLegs and the guards arrive in the limbsmiths.

Only a few prosthetics line the walls, but they are of extremely good quality.

Tinkering on an eye is the owner, a very old dwarf with a beard at least twice his body in length. He has mechanical arms himself.

"Bothoin, a BandyLegs here for you"

He looks up, "New legs then? I was told the masters have an interest in him, seems like a fool who nearly gets himself killed. And not in honest mining, but in human adventuring. No matter, my craft is my craft. Let us work on you boy"

BandyLegs is strapped to a table in the middle of the room and Bothoin gets to work. He gives BandyLegs a disgusting drink "To dull the pain boy"

An hour passes.

BandyLegs is swung back up.

"There ye are lad. Not as nimble as the real thing, but capable of more force. They can sometimes react poorly to strain. The Masters are paying for most of it, so only 1,000 GP."

OOC: -1 to DEX, +1 to STR. +1 HP, but a roll of 1 on an attack roll will have severe consequences depending on the situation.

Specifically my weapons *removes two handed sword, long sword and dagger - slowly, no startling him* need sharpening and rehoning. Is that something that you can take care of?
    "Daggers aren't a warrior's weapons, but a sneak's. I won't touch them. The swords I can." He hammers away.

OOC: Your swords will need at least two fumbles to shatter.

"That'll be 50GP lass"

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    [OOC: never a good sign]

Rolled an 8
    Elin easily enough finds a shady character to deal with, a gnome who manages to speak enough common to comprehend somewhat.

"Go ta Orimrirlum's. Nise Nisey theify tools"

He smirks and skulks off.

"Thank you kindly good Sir. I appreciate what you are saying about the dagger. It is not my preferred tool, but can be useful in certain situations, like when diplomacy is the preferred route. Can never be too careful though! Nevertheless, I respect your wishes in not handling it"

Xanthea hands over 50GP

"Once again, thank you. I will speak highly of you to your kinsman! May good fortune stay with you, always!"

Xanthea exits to go to the alehouse.

• Advertisement

Ekbard is brought before the city's council. The Masters of Vergadain, men who in some way have all risen above the common dwarf by leaving the tunnels and venturing out into the human dominated world, adventuring and defeating great foes.

When Ekbard enters only one is present:
    i1Mqer.jpg

The temple itself is simple. An almost perfect hemisphere with a single statue of a smiling dwarf with a mug of ale. Vergadain in mortal form.

"Guard you are dismissed" the Master says.

He then speaks to Ekbard.

"Tell me how you obtained Anak Redhammer IV's finest creation or I'll feed you what's left of your nutsack after my warhammer gives it a kiss"

Xanthea walks into Doukrorlig's Alehouse, noticing the level of conversation drop as a foreigner appears.

Spotting who she thinks is the barmaid (these beards can make it difficult to tell sometimes) she speaks:

"Good evening! A flagon of ale, a gallon bucket of ale, your biggest medium steak, and a drink for the house, please and thank you"

Xanthea looks around, looking for any of her party, or a friendly looking dwarf she can strike up conversation with.

"Good evening! A flagon of ale, a gallon bucket of ale, your biggest medium steak, and a drink for the house, please and thank you"

Xanthea looks around, looking for any of her party, or a friendly looking dwarf she can strike up conversation with.
    Doukrorlig carts out a large dwarven bucket of ale.

He shouts to the tavern:

"Now, I'll lay to rest that bet from a year ago. All ye idiots with no experience o' humans who said there's no way a human could handle this much alcohol. I'll show ye wrong. Humans might be weaklings, but there not bloody made of tissue paper. Prove me right lass"

He drops the bucket on the table in front of Xanthea.

OOC: If you accept, roll CONS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    "Not in truth. They gave it to us to convince you to come see them as soon as ye have legs."

BandyLegs and the guards arrive in the limbsmiths.

Only a few prosthetics line the walls, but they are of extremely good quality.

Tinkering on an eye is the owner, a very old dwarf with a beard at least twice his body in length. He has mechanical arms himself.

"Bothoin, a BandyLegs here for you"

He looks up, "New legs then? I was told the masters have an interest in him, seems like a fool who nearly gets himself killed. And not in honest mining, but in human adventuring. No matter, my craft is my craft. Let us work on you boy"

BandyLegs is strapped to a table in the middle of the room and Bothoin gets to work. He gives BandyLegs a disgusting drink "To dull the pain boy"

An hour passes.

BandyLegs is swung back up.

"There ye are lad. Not as nimble as the real thing, but capable of more force. They can sometimes react poorly to strain. The Masters are paying for most of it, so only 1,000 GP."

OOC: -1 to DEX, +1 to STR. +1 HP, but a roll of 1 on an attack roll will have severe consequences depending on the situation.

'1000GP? Laddie ye'll have to take me word I'm good fer it.'

Bandy hands over all the coin on his person at present, 246GP.

I'm owed some GP fer me troubles where I had me accident. I promise ter call back and pay ye the balance when this is paid to me.'

Bandylegs gets up to leave the smiths, testing out his new legs.

'Aye, these will be great!'

Doukrorlig carts out a large dwarven bucket of ale.

He shouts to the tavern:

"Now, I'll lay to rest that bet from a year ago. All ye idiots with no experience o' humans who said there's no way a human could handle this much alcohol. I'll show ye wrong. Humans might be weaklings, but there not bloody made of tissue paper. Prove me right lass"

He drops the bucket on the table in front of Xanthea.

OOC: If you accept, roll CONS

OOC: Well the bucket was for Bandy (I did say there would be a gallon of ale for him, but fair enough.

D20 roll of 10 v CONS 11...

• Advertisement

'1000GP? Laddie ye'll have to take me word I'm good fer it.'
    'Aye, these will be great!'
    "More than I expected on a first payment. Thank ye. I'll wait for the rest."

The guard gestures to BandyLegs. "To the Masters?"

"More than I expected on a first payment. Thank ye. I'll wait for the rest."

The guard gestures to BandyLegs. "To the Masters?"

Bandylegs nods.

'Aye. To the Masters. Let us see what they want with ol' Bandylegs.

Now I have me legs back, I feel in the mood for some questin'. Me pockets are light after that!'

OOC: Need my next post to be good, approaching the 5000 mark :)

OOC: Well the bucket was for Bandy (I did say there would be a gallon of ale for him, but fair enough.

D20 roll of 10 v CONS 11...
    OOC: This isn't part of your order as such, he just wants to win a bet.

"See the human downed it no problem. All of ye pay up, now."

A bunch of dwarves all groan and hand over quite a bit of money.

"Yer order is on the house now human."

OOC: This isn't part of your order as such, he just wants to win a bet.

"See the human downed it no problem. All of ye pay up, now."

A bunch of dwarves all groan and hand over quite a bit of money.

"Yer order is on the house now human."

"Glad to be of service!"

Xanthea raises her flagon and shouts:

"To your health, and the health of all here! Enjoy the ale!"

Xanthea drinks some of the flagon.

OOC: Post 5,000 for Necro will end up being something really profound like "Bandy belches"

BandyLegs is brought to the temple of Vergadain.

"Wait here" the guard says "at least that's what we were told". The troupe head off.

BandyLegs stands around for ten minutes when a stone in the wall vanishes revealing a room with seven Masters inside, bare except for the finest granite. One of the masters gestures with his finger and pulls BandyLegs in. Another gesture traces an ancient dwarven rune in the air and regenerates the rock.

BandyLegs is confused. Dwarves can't do magic, it's impossible.

"Calm yerself ye moron" a master with a fine beard states "we aren't using magic, but divine gifts given to us by Vergadain. We were given a sign that another devotee had been chosen.

Stand now BandyLegs of clan McGillicuddy, ye are a Cleric of Vergadain, one of only ten in the world. And we would ask of you a task that may determine the fate of all in the dwarven kingdom of Sanderjarn."

OOC: You are now a Dwarven Cleric, taken from Gazetteer #6, published 1988. Rules shortly in OOC thread.

"Glad to be of service!"

Xanthea raises her flagon and shouts:

"To your health, and the health of all here! Enjoy the ale!"

Xanthea drinks some of the flagon.
    OOC: Until I say so, -2 DEX and +2 CHARISMA.

Xanthea is feeling a bit tipsy, but the local dwarves are taking a real shine to her.

"I'm a princess of great warriors from the lands beyond Zazzan... I've escaped from giant scorpions... I've flown atop golden dragons, while sitting on the back of my noble steed... I'm going to lead my people... But what I really want to know is, just what news is there from this MAGNIFICENT, GLORIOUS CITY?!

BandyLegs is brought to the temple of Vergadain.

"Wait here" the guard says "at least that's what we were told". The troupe head off.

BandyLegs stands around for ten minutes when a stone in the wall vanishes revealing a room with seven Masters inside, bare except for the finest granite. One of the masters gestures with his finger and pulls BandyLegs in. Another gesture traces an ancient dwarven rune in the air and regenerates the rock.

BandyLegs is confused. Dwarves can't do magic, it's impossible.

"Calm yerself ye moron" a master with a fine beard states "we aren't using magic, but divine gifts given to us by Vergadain. We were given a sign that another devotee had been chosen.

Stand now BandyLegs of clan McGillicuddy, ye are a Cleric of Vergadain, one of only ten in the world. And we would ask of you a task that may determine the fate of all in the dwarven kingdom of Sanderjarn."

OOC: You are now a Dwarven Cleric, taken from Gazetteer #6, published 1988. Rules shortly in OOC thread.

Bandylegs stands, tears in his eyes.

'All me life I've devoted everythin' to Vergadain. Me quests, everything was fer him. I ne'er wanted anything. Fer him to show his favour on me, a lowly McGilllicuddy....

I cannae believe it. Praise be to Vergadain, and blast all th'other false gods. I shall pray for his graces wisdom immediately.'

Bandylegs kneels again in the temple, eyes closed and head bowed, in awe of this great honour that has been given to him.'

OOC: And there it is. 5000 :D I suppose I'd best pick some spells now

"Honour indeed boy" says the main master.

"The task is simple enough in description. You and any you can convince to go with you must climb Sanderjarn and near the peak seek the human known as Duncan Casterk. He keeps a sacred vigil over an ancient temple there, one that used to be in the possession of a foul and degenerate ancient human religion. The temple contains things that cannot be allowed roam free.

Four months ago, we didn't receive our typical letter from Casterk letting us know all was well. We fear for him and the temple.

Know also, for you are an adventurer as we once were, that the temple contains treasure beyond your wildest imaginings."

• Advertisement

"I'm a princess of great warriors from the lands beyond Zazzan... I've escaped from giant scorpions... I've flown atop golden dragons, while sitting on the back of my noble steed... I'm going to lead my people... But what I really want to know is, just what news is there from this MAGNIFICENT, GLORIOUS CITY?!
    The dwarves inform her of minor issues currently running through the city. Re-election of seven of the ten mayors, smither union strikes. However one dwarf, missing an eye and with a patch to compensate, whispers to her.

"Princess, would you speak to me outside?"

Xanthea is intrigued by the mysterious dwarf with the slight vision impairment, and follows him outside at the pace of someone who is walking through custard during an earthquake...

Xanthea is intrigued by the mysterious dwarf with the slight vision impairment, and follows him outside at the pace of someone who is walking through custard during an earthquake...
    "I'm glad you agreed to speak with me. I have a message for ye. From a Duncan Casterk."

He hands over the letter.

"Good luck to ye, Duncan is a good friend."

He heads off down the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Elin easily enough finds a shady character to deal with, a gnome who manages to speak enough common to comprehend somewhat.

"Go ta Orimrirlum's. Nise Nisey theify tools"

He smirks and skulks off.

Elin wanders around the city looking for a sufficiently dingy looking alehouse to pop into for directions to this Orimrirlums.

If she succeeds she'll head there post haste.

"Honour indeed boy" says the main master.

"The task is simple enough in description. You and any you can convince to go with you must climb Sanderjarn and near the peak seek the human known as Duncan Casterk. He keeps a sacred vigil over an ancient temple there, one that used to be in the possession of a foul and degenerate ancient human religion. The temple contains things that cannot be allowed roam free.

Four months ago, we didn't receive our typical letter from Casterk letting us know all was well. We fear for him and the temple.

Know also, for you are an adventurer as we once were, that the temple contains treasure beyond your wildest imaginings."

Bandylegs rises to his feet, endowed with the power of Vergadain for today.

OOC: Spell loaded is Light

'More questin'? If that is what Vergadain wishes I shall go. I'm sure t'others that came with me will be interested. Especially in the treasure.

Tell me, masters. My friend, a Narosian came to this city to try and sell the wares we plundered from beneath a Thurmonton church. It's where I had me... accident. He had a valuable pearl and a priceless ruby, the... Gem of Karst I think Citra called it. Pulled it from a ravine with 10,000 spikes beneath it so he did.

He'd be very valuable to have along on the quest as ye might imagine. There's others, too. A...thief. Another warrior, a princess from a foreign land. A Halfling, superbly skilled with a bow. And a cleric, by the name of Moy. He worships another faith, but he saved me life after I lost me legs so I trust the lad.

There were others... but we fear they might be lost forever. We be a rag tag bunch, a little bit low on trust among some of us... but they're all valuable to me in differen' ways. I must fin' 'em 'fore I head to the mountain peak.'

Bandylegs draws his bastard sword and looks at it sadly.

'This was given to me by a love o'mine....Big Betty. We sadly lost her beneath the church when a slime God ate her... and me legs. The sword was hand crafted by her father and she gave it to me 'fore she died. If it pleases ye masters, I'd like te leave it here in Vergedain's grace. I hope ter someday be reunited with her in the afterlife.'

Bandylegs hands the sword to the main master.

Xanthea is puzzled by this latest turn of events, and it torn between pursuing the dwarf who delivered the letter, returning to her ale, or finding somewhere out of the way to read the letter.

After a little deliberation, she ducks down an alley and reads the letter with the light coming from the window...

OOC: I take it that even if you publish the letter on thread, the others do not know of its existance yet

OOC: Yes, they won't know.

"Dear Xanthea,

If you are given this letter, I fear I may have met a cruel end. When I left our little adventuring group I joined another. A pleasant enough crowd, the elf I think knew more than the entire librarium back home. Probably had lived longer than them all combined as well.

About a year in the dwarves in Sanderjarn told us of an old temple on the mountain rumored to have untold riches. Well obviously we went and it didn't go well. The rest of my companions were killed in the raid. Given what I saw there I decided to keep vigil over the place, for the sake of the world.

Though the rumors were true. The treasure is beyond any I have seen before.

I have met Citra over the years, often she has tried to convince me to leave the place. Dragons are very loyal to those they love, but they have no conception of higher purpose.

Xanthea if you were just an adventurer I'd tell you to stay away, it's too dangerous. However I speak to you now as a princess with a powerful moral character. This place must be sealed for all time. Find people you trust and put an end to it.

Yours,
    Duncan.

P.S. Still have the scorpion's leg."

Bandylegs hands the sword to the main master.
    "As it happens we are interrogating the Nerosian at this moment. We will consider your word to vouch for him. He was in possession of an old royal artefact. Though the kings are long gone, you know how important these things are symbolically. If it is Thurmonton it must be something Tumuz stole when he conquered us. The idiotic humans there actually worship him.

Little more need be said about your companions, we too know there importance, we are as yourself, of the world.

The sword will be kept here in her honour and yours"

He takes the sword and glances nervously

"I have not been smote for touching it, Vergadain accepts this. I will place it in the temple. Love with a human, I was guilty of such myself, you will find no judgement here."

They are curiously silent on the topic of the slime god.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Elin wanders around the city looking for a sufficiently dingy looking alehouse to pop into for directions to this Orimrirlums.

If she succeeds she'll head there post haste.
    Orimrirlums lives in a small run down shack. Inside he is growing rare types of rock. He leaps out of his chair when Elin pops in.

"Oh a real human thief's thief. The kind that raids tombs and all that stuff. What'll it be."

• Advertisement

Xanthea regards the letter closely to see if it holds any hidden meaning before returning back around the corner and into the tavern.

"Right, who's had my pint, and who is buying the next round?" she calls. "The night is young"

She hops up on a stool and starts to sing with a couple of merry dwarves. It's always good to have the dwarves on your side, after all.

OOC: This is where I leave it for tonight. I'm off to bed

Advertisement