Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in blanch village - Justins site ?

Options
  • 08-12-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

Apparently a member of the family that own Justins veg shop in Blanch village is telling people they sold the site to Aldi earlier this week.
    The site goes back quite a distance and they have let it get very run down so it could be true. Has anyone on here heard similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going on the PRAI maps, the site goes back to the Tolka so is quite large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Run down? Its always been rundown...been there a long time Justin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Really going to miss getting my Irish new potatoes there.

Justins had them long before any of the supermarkets and they were really lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

heard that rumour months ago. Would be awkward wit traffic getting in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

py2006 wrote: »
    heard that rumour months ago. Would be awkward wit traffic getting in and out.

Not that much different to the Mulhuddart ALDI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not that much different to the Mulhuddart ALDI.

Ah it would be worse. Mulhuddart village is nowhere near as busy as blanchardstown village

I was wondering did he mean the one near blanch center not the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Mulhuddart is dangerous IMO. Its very awkward driving in and out due to the close by junction at the bridge, petrol station, shops next door and the narrow road. I don't think the Blancharstown store would be any worse than Muhuddart.

Its more the location near to a filter junction and a busy set of lights, bottom of Clonsilla rd. Its also a main route for a lot of traffic. People tend to race to those lights and from them.
    People drive faster when its wider, and its quite wide at Justins.

Aldi & Lidl seems to have a knack for awkward locations. The Lidl proposed location in Castleknock is bad aswell. Maybe its always awkward to be central in villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mulhuddart is bad but Clonee is a pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Mulhuddart is dangerous IMO. Its very awkward driving in and out due to the close by junction at the bridge, petrol station, shops next door and the narrow road. I don't think the Blancharstown store would be any worse than Muhuddart.

I would be delighted to see an Aldi in Blanch, but if the traffic entry point comes out on to the main road this makes no sense. It would be far far worse than Mulhuddart. That road cannot take a substantial infusion of new traffic. Its not a like for like swap.

I would be delighted to see an Aldi in Blanch, but if the traffic entry point comes out on to the main road this makes no sense. It would be far far worse than Mulhuddart. That road cannot take a substantial infusion of new traffic. Its not a like for like swap.

Supervalu does the same further on.

There is a bypass of Blanchardstown, the village shouldn't be a main road.

Supervalu does the same further on.

There is a bypass of Blanchardstown, the village shouldn't be a main road.

To be fair, the argument that you are making is, 'two wrongs make a right'.

In planning, there is a need to view the cumulative impact of development. You take into account all the existing traffic and the new traffic.
    Also, the bypass is largely irrelevant in as much as the traffic for Aldi will have to enter the village.

I don't live in the village, the decision will effect me very little. But this is not a good location for this project.

To be fair, the argument that you are making is, 'two wrongs make a right'.

In planning, there is a need to view the cumulative impact of development. You take into account all the existing traffic and the new traffic.
    Also, the bypass is largely irrelevant in as much as the traffic for Aldi will have to enter the village.

I don't live in the village, the decision will effect me very little. But this is not a good location for this project.

The problems with the village traffic do not relate to destination traffic such as will be created by Aldi, they relate to those using the village as a main road for through traffic. If, for example, an additional set of lights to accommodate Aldi traffic is put in place, and that pushes through traffic elsewhere, then it is a win-win for the village, more destination traffic, another retail possibility and less through traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

then it is a win-win for the village, more destination traffic, another retail possibility and less through traffic.

Yeah, just pushing more traffic through Roselawn.

I get that Blanch needs a identifiable village civic center. More shops might help that. The traffic is always an issue though.

I avoid all these places when busy anyway.

The problems with the village traffic do not relate to destination traffic such as will be created by Aldi, they relate to those using the village as a main road for through traffic. If, for example, an additional set of lights to accommodate Aldi traffic is put in place, and that pushes through traffic elsewhere, then it is a win-win for the village, more destination traffic, another retail possibility and less through traffic.

Plenty of the village traffic relates to the village itself. Additional traffic lights really are not going to solve the problem.
    Up to the planners to determine I guess, but it looks mad to me. But like I say, I don't live in the village, so I wont have to suffer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not all about the needs of motorists you know. There's plenty within walking distance of Justin's and that SuperValu was not a great place from what I remember.

Thinking back to Supervalu's nearby location, isn't the main amount of traffic not going to or from SuperValu, but onwards to the Clonsilla Road and to a certain extent the eBay direction and Snugborough road?

I never saw any major traffic congestion going in/out of SuperValu.

I'd say at least one 70% is through traffic.

Sure if you push that out of the village where will it go? N3/M50? Ouch that's already bad getting worse.

Never had a problem getting out of Supervalue except going right. You often need the help of the pedestrian light when it's busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

Very sorry to hear about the forthcoming replacement. Justin's has been there since the Navan Road went through Blanchardstown Village (yes it did) and there was no N3 behind it.
    Just in last Saturday and bought some lovely potted flowers (€2.00 each) and only place in local area stocking 'sticks' for fire that afternoon. I'll miss the friendly welcome and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Braids wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about the forthcoming replacement. Justin's has been there since the Navan Road went through Blanchardstown Village (yes it did) and there was no N3 behind it.
    Just in last Saturday and bought some lovely potted flowers (€2.00 each) and only place in local area stocking 'sticks' for fire that afternoon. I'll miss the friendly welcome and service.

I have heard from a number of Blanchardstown Village residents, that it is their understanding that a condition of the sale of the land was that Justin's will retain part of the site to continue trading.

Advertisement