Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged engagement ring.

Options
  • 08-12-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Me and my fiance got engaged about a month ago, loved the ring etc. But it's after getting damaged, it's a three stone ring and one of the clasps holding the side stone broke away completely losing the side stone in the process. My fiance has no recollection of hitting it hard or at all off anything.
    I thought the jeweller's would repair it as I've only had it since august but they are taking the stance of it's too much damage done. Their jeweller examined it and said it wasn't a fault in the ring but herself that broke it so it's turning into a he said she said situation.
    They gave me a ballpark quote of 200euro for repairs. Funny enough the manager said they definitely stand over their jewellery haha ffs.
    Any advice or opinions on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

not insured so that was my first mistake. I think the stance they are taking is that if a clasp had just bent or come loose there would be no problem, but as its broken away completely it must have been on my fiance to have done the damage. I know for a fact she wouldnt be overly rough with it but again thats our word against theres.
    Just a pain in the ass of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I know for a fact she would be overly rough with it but again thats our word against theres.
    Just to avoid confusion, I presume that's a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

....... wrote: »

They don't have to prove otherwise. If you're taking the claim, you need to prove it. They could well give expert opinion on the force needed to break the clasp.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

MOH wrote: »
    Just to avoid confusion, I presume that's a typo?

yeah bloody android auto correct :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just for accuracy, it's €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

....... wrote:

There's a limit on the amounts under small claims of 2000.

It works be worth paying for and getting an inspection by another jeweler to determine if the ring is up to standard.

Also worth checking if a claim can be taken under the ops house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

....... wrote:
    But even with all of the above - it will only cost the OP 15 euro to lodge the claim with SMC - and its not like they lose anything if they lose. So its worth it regardless.

There's a limit on the amounts under small claims of 2000.

It works be worth paying for and getting an inspection by another jeweler to determine if the ring is up to standard.

Also worth checking if a claim can be taken under the ops house insurance.

Under most house insurance you have to specify high value items befoee they are covered and it's an extra in the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Except they lose the Small Claims Court fee - and their time spent.

Advertisement