Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League: Saturday night games on TV from 2019-20

• 08-12-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭

Its been agreed to show 7.45pm kick offs on Saturdays from the 2019/2020 season.

Apparently 'Medium friendly' opening the way for online providers such as Amazon & Facebook to bid for the rights.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42278119

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Fine by me, I'd rather Saturday night than Friday night games. I'f guess this is something to appeal to American viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm wondering will they be keeping the other timeslots: Saturday 12:30, Saturday at 5:30, Sunday at 2, Sunday at 4, Monday at 8.

If so, then adding a Saturday at 7.45 game will mean only four 3pm games on Saturday.

Good for TV. Not good for travelling to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Good for TV. Not good for travelling to games.

This is true but I much prefer being in a stadium at night. Admittedly, I don't follow UK football hardly at all but give me the choice of being in the San Siro in the afternoon or the evening and I'd choose the evening. Atmosphere is better.

• Advertisement

Saturday 7-45pm watching Stoke vs West Brom both managed by Tony Pulis or the X-Factor...

Tony Pulis wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Saturday 7-45pm watching Stoke vs West Brom both managed by Tony Pulis or the X-Factor...

Tony Pulis wins.

Not in the real world though and X Factor is in a rating slump. With Strictly getting 10 mill plus X Factor and whatever is on other channels and people going out I'd say ratings for a football game will be pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It's only 8 games a season. Other packs remain roughly the same, slightly different ko times, First time tho a midweek pack a broadcaster can show a few games simultaneously on one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Not in the real world though and X Factor is in a rating slump. With Strictly getting 10 mill plus X Factor and whatever is on other channels and people going out I'd say ratings for a football game will be pretty low.

It should be compared to what ratings the sports shows would get in lieu of the pl games. Might still be better for them.

You say that but If Facebook win the rights to stream it on Facebook they could easily get 100m viewers worldwide.

Streaming services will be a major game changers if the do enter the market and win some of the rights..

No one will know until the rights are sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

More money for the Money Grabbing Premier League Executives.

Sky will end up overpaying for the rights which shafts their Subscribers.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

mikeym wrote: »
    More money for the Money Grabbing Premier League Executives.

Sky will end up overpaying for the rights which shafts their Subscribers.

:mad:

Then dont buy sky?
    I haven't had a tv in 8 years, never mind sky. Plemty of other ways to watch footie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You say that but If Facebook win the rights to stream it on Facebook they could easily get 100m viewers worldwide.

Streaming services will be a major game changers if the do enter the market and win some of the rights..

No one will know until the rights are sold.

Facebook etc would be buying a UK/Ireland package not the global rights with the next auction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Football Supporters' Federation chief executive Kevin Miles said more must be done to support away fans.

"We do not want to see more games on live TV as this makes life increasingly difficult for away fans in particular," he said.

I hate that rubbish. Its really difficult to get tickets for Premier league games. Even if they showed every game live it would have no impact on attendances or how away fans are treated. separate issues not realised by a suit

Advertisement