Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! On a plane with double-engine failure...

• 08-12-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Imagine you’re on a plane over the Atlantic. It’s just had double engine failure. The aircraft needs to make it to an airport ASAP or a solution to restart the engines has to be found. Your life now depends on the skill and outside-the-box thinking of the crew. What nationality flight crew would you trust most to improvise a solution and ultimately save your life?

(please note: the airline crew cannot be Irish…)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Russians probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pelvis wrote: »
    Irish.

Same here , Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This actually happened before. I believe it was a Swiss airline and crew,

They managed to glide hundreds of miles and land in the Azores.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Atlantians

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I'm on a plane with 4 engines so it's fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Craggy islanders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You have used two inches of sticky tape, god bless you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

North Korean

This actually happened before. I believe it was a Swiss airline and crew,

They managed to glide hundreds of miles and land in the Azores.

Sorry not Swiss, Canadian and Dutch pilots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

German ,
    but not Andreas Lubitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Finns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We'll be all dead soon so I'll go for English.

Smiley face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The captain had a colourful history, experienced in small aircraft and gliders as well as a conviction for smuggling marijuana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I was on a dual engine plane which lost one engine a few years ago. We were lucky the other one held out or we would have been stuck up there all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If we have jump leads Americans if not it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

You have to tell us more.. we want the full story! What was it like onboard during the decent? What did it feel like? How did fellow passengers behave etc?

It says in the report it was a hard landing... in reality what is that like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The captain had a colourful history, experienced in small aircraft and gliders as well as a conviction for smuggling marijuana.

I guess that's how he managed to keep the plane high enough until they could come down safely somewhere. ;-)

Tazio wrote: »
    You have to tell us more.. we want the full story! What was it like onboard during the decent? What did it feel like? How did fellow passengers behave etc?

It says in the report it was a hard landing... in reality what is that like?

Thank god I wasn't on it, I would have had a stroke. :pac:

I watched a prog about it years ago. Think it was part of that Air crash investigation series.

I remember to complicate matters further there was a sheer cliff drop at the end of the runway in the Azores. They had to come down very hard from a steep angle to burst the plane's tyres to help slow it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This reminded me of the film Executive Decision, made around the time Steven Segal was at the height of his fame, and I thought "excellent, this is bound to be good with Steven Segal in it"...

Segal is only in the film for five minutes before he kills himself off -

The Pentagon authorizes a mid-air transfer of an Army special operations team onto the hijacked airliner using an experimental version of the F-117 stealth aircraft. Grant and DARPA engineer Dennis Cahill accompany the team.
    The boarding is only partially successful. When a commando, "Cappy," is seriously injured with a broken neck, Grant boards to assist Cappy. The Oceanic Airlines 747 pulls up, though, putting too much stress on the boarding sleeve. Unable to board, Travis sacrifices himself when he closes the 747's hatch.

Unsurprisingly -

Steven Seagal earned a Razzie Award nomination for Worst Supporting Actor for his performance in the film but lost to Marlon Brando for The Island of Dr. Moreau.

I'll go with Israeli fighter pilots then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Polish - worked with a few and they were fairly resourceful at fixing ,repairing servicing stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Click bait title

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

enricoh wrote: »
    Polish - worked with a few and they were fairly resourceful at fixing ,repairing servicing stuff.

Fcuk no, didn't they wipe out their entire government a few years back in a plane crash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

this actually happened and the captain announced they were going to plunge into the sea . A beautiful blonde lady jumped from her seat , ripped all her clothes off and asked was there anybody man enough to make her feel like a women once more before she died , paddy jumped from his seat and ripped his shirt off , the lady in question was delighted until paddy threw the shirt at her saying '' here can ya iron this ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thank god I wasn't on it, I would have had a stroke. :pac:

I watched a prog about it years ago. Think it was part of that Air crash investigation series.

I remember to complicate matters further there was a sheer cliff drop at the end of the runway in the Azores. They had to come down very hard from a steep angle to burst the plane's tyres to help slow it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2H6eXJrcAY

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Muslim with an ISIS background, I wouldn't have time to think long about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Am I the only one who automatically just thinks opportune time to join the mile high club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

mikeymouse wrote: »
    German ,
    but not Andreas Lubitz

I'm pretty sure he's unavailable...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

jetsonx wrote: »

Bye bye plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

How about British?

This Crew lost all 4 engines on a 747 and managed to get down safely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Also with a PA like this from the captain they’re be no panic!

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress“

Candamir wrote: »
    How about British?

This Crew lost all 4 engines on a 747 and managed to get down safely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Also with a PA like this from the captain they’re be no panic!

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress“

The old British spirit.

Stay Calm and Restart the Engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what nationality is MacGyver

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm on a plane with 4 engines so it's fine...
    Old Air Traffic Control story.

A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running “a bit peaked.” Air Traffic Control told the fighter pilot that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down. “Ah,” the fighter pilot remarked, “The dreaded seven-engine approach.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do turkeys fly, I suppose they have wings... Turkish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who else but Quagmire, giggity giggity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Stay Calm and Restart the Engines.

Happened to a mate of mine some years ago. Engine one started to wind down, so cool as cucumber tells me procedure is look at manual. Then engine two started to wind down. Reckons he hit ice or something. Manual said ease off on power but he put them on full power, some shuddering and everything went back to normal. Squeaky bum time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Malaysian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jetsonx wrote: »
    Imagine you’re on a plane over the Atlantic. It’s just had double engine failure. The aircraft needs to make it to an airport ASAP or a solution to restart the engines has to be found. Your life now depends on the skill and outside-the-box thinking of the crew. What nationality flight crew would you trust most to improvise a solution and ultimately save your life?

I only ever fly in my Lancaster myself ( it has 4 engines)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Madagascan Penguins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The American pilot Chelsey "Sully" Sullenburger. He landed a full passenger plane in the Hudson River after engine failure back in 09 without a single loss of life.

Whichever country has the most ex-military pilots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna spend almost 17 hours traversing the world tonight in a twin engined Boeing 777, now you are going to have me worried if the pilots will be able to restart the engines or will I have to wake up and do it myself!

The American pilot Chelsey "Sully" Sullenburger. He landed a full passenger plane in the Hudson River after engine failure back in 09 without a single loss of life.

And still got put through hell by the insurance and airline people who insisted he could have made it airside if he'd tried harder.

Whichever country has the most ex-military pilots.
    You obviously haven't flown with that many ex-military pilots!

I fly on the reg with an ex US Naval pilot. He must be the exception!

This is what happens when one quits, BA from Phoenix a few days ago. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

The chairman of Rolls Royce aero engine was asked once why he always flew in 4 engines planes over the Atlantic ,
    His reply was ,

"Because there are No 5 engined ones "

@candie... there are always exceptions :) I was flying with an "ex-fighter" pilot recently and i had to teach him how to divide FL by 3 to get distance for TOD. I gave up trying to teach him how to calculate the descent profile for a DME ARC.

Am I the only one who automatically just thinks opportune time to join the mile high club.

I was going to vote Polish for that very reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement