Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a 26er to 27.5

Options
  • 08-12-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 26 giant talon 2. Xcm 100 suntaur fork. Medium frame.

Can I upgrade the wheel size to 27.5 and if so what do I need.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Probably not.

But if...
    - 27 wheel fits in rear between chainstays
    - 27 wheel fits in fork
    - You don't mind higher bottom bracket and front end which would change handling of bike

you could give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

I only bought it recently for cheap, I seen deore and aluminium so I didn't think about the wheels till the next day. So I am New to mtb(noob mistake) , planning on doing mostly fire roads. And maybe a duathlon down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Ride it and have fun 😄 Maybe not best bike for duatholon. But grand for fireroads and you might be tempted by some singletrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What's wrong with the 26" wheels?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yep, Why change?

Just reading they are not good for long spins.

Has anyone has done a long spin 25+ miles on a 26?

That's what I hope to do down the line. Cross training to supplement the running.I Enjoy the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Subzero3 wrote: »

That's what I hope to do down the line. Cross training to supplement the running.I Enjoy the mountains.

I've done up to 130 km (80 miles) on a 26 inch bike.

The extra inch of diameter won't make any difference, you could put some faster rolling tyres on for distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Back in the day, I did the Maracycle (Dublin-Belfast, Belfast-Dublin) on a 26" mountain bike.
    More recently, I've done The Cooley Thriller a few times on 26"s

Cool cheers. I'll have to test is out. The slieve felim way will be the endgame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

very hard to do it due to bike geometry

also, "The extra inch of diameter won't make any difference" .... dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've done plenty of road and off road miles on a 26, you 'll be grand, just learn the basic skills, particularly off road, and before you know it, you 'll be spending a couple of grand on a full Suss enduro, and looking for new ways to kill yourself. Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My brother in-law did the WW200 on a 26" hard-tail, took him a bit over 12 hours so maybe not the fastest way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Did Dub-Athlone-Dub and Galway-Dublin on 26” MTB with slicks. It’s not a problem, just slower!

Changing to 27” wheels, even if possible, is pointless and maybe counter productive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Did Dub-Athlone-Dub and Galway-Dublin on 26” MTB with slicks. It’s not a problem, just slower!
    on the road? i can't see it making as much difference on the road as it would off-road - but it seems that off-road, there's a 2.4% difference between 26" and 29", so probably about a 1%-1.5% difference for 27.5"?
    https://www.bicycling.com/mountain-bike/mountain-bike-wheels/29ers-are-faster-than-26ers-study-finds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

also, "The extra inch of diameter won't make any difference" .... dude...

Haha, careful now ;) Youre dudeing a chap who done the whole wicklow way in 8h on a mountain bike and has enough MTB experience to share...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I know lads who have won the Cooley on a 26",I got a 6th myself.I've also got a silver at the XC Nationals on a 26er,nothing wrong with them at all.If youre fit you'll do well on any size wheel,if youre unfit then a 650b or 29er wont make you fit and brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Once did 153km on a 26er...

Is the headtube on the frame tapered or not?

Very,very few 650b forks are straighter steerer without spending silly money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

Alek wrote: »
    Haha, careful now ;) Youre dudeing a chap who done the whole wicklow way in 8h on a mountain bike and has enough MTB experience to share...

Haha 😉 Is this a “mine is bigger than yours” ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is this a “mine is bigger than yours” ?

We rarely know who's who on the internet. Disregarding someone's opinion, especially without providing a plausible alternative, can make you sound foolish to some ears.

BTW, would you say that 27.5" and 2" tyres roll better than 26" and 2.4"?

• Advertisement

While I have ye here lads. When I put the chain on the big cog it rubs off the front derailer (inside) It's an alivio derailer. . Everything else seems to be fine. Looking forward to taking it out. I guess if I have to work harder on a 26 as I'll get more physical benefits. Pic attached re derailer. Do I just tighten one of those 2 screws or it is something else.

Advertisement