Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Put destiny on last night for the first time in about 6 months. Man it's a lot of fun. I have the first 2 expansions, haven't played them but I don't have forsaken but was wondering has there been any major changes with the forsaken patch?

The entire weapon system has been changed. Shotguns(except Legend of Acrius), sniper rifles(except Whisper of the Worm) and fusion rifles(except linear fusions) are now considered special weapons again and can be found in both kinetic and energy variants. Lmgs are returning next season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Put destiny on last night for the first time in about 6 months. Man it's a lot of fun. I have the first 2 expansions, haven't played them but I don't have forsaken but was wondering has there been any major changes with the forsaken patch?

BIG changes. The grind is real. All weapons and Armour now drop with Random Rolls, so now your 10th Better Devils could actually be the God Roll version.

Each Class has 3 new Supers each, one for each Subclass. You get your first for each character unlocked through the campaign, and then you'll need to do an activity called The Blind Well to get your second, and third, through a Random Drop. (Think of Blind Well as a new Court of Oryx experience. It's fun, but outside of the drop to get a new super, it's a little pointless tbh)

The campaign story is a huge improvement over Osiris and Warmind. It's roughly 6 to 8 hrs long so nothing huge, but quality wise it's far above the first 2 DLC.

There's a whole suite of QoL changes; Collections / Triumphs. Hidden secrets to be found.

2 new playable areas, The Tangled Shore and The Dreaming City. The campaign takes place on The Tangled Shore and is fairly big. The Dreaming City is the End Game play space. It's where the Raid is housed. Unfortunately, I fear that eventually, Tangled Shore will end up a bit like The Farm. As you get more powerful, you'll be going there less and less, except for the weekly bounties which are tough enough and reward you with a Powerful Engram.

There are upwards of 27 daily and weekly milestone activities to do which will reward you with a Powerful Engram to boost your Power Level up.

The new game mode, Gambit, is a lot of fun ... in a fireteam. It has matchmaking, but it's not something you would play long term as a solo. It's a PvEvP "competitive" mode, where 2 teams of four battle it out to kill PvE enemies to collect motes that are needed to bank and summon a "Prime Evil", a boss that you have to kill to win the round.

In all honesty, for 40 quid, there's a lot there, and has been worth the purchase, for me. The wider community in general has been very happy with Forsaken so far, and the pinnacle will be opened up tomorrow with the new raid. By all accounts, the raid will resemble a D1 raid more than D2's Leviathan, so if you liked those more, that's nothing but good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pretty happy with purchasing the DLC so far. Some minor complaints:

There is **** all loot. So for the all the static roll complaints, there's probably little difference in practice from before when you have barely any weapons/armor to roll randomly anyway.

Gambit is a complete waste of potential. The set up is great, idea is great but the execution is flawed, both teams shouldn't have the same stack, doesn't make sense. Game mode is also just obliterated by Sleeper Simulant...

Why am I now returning to the tower for bounties? QoL improvement out the window?

Too many materials to keep track of, why are materials needed to infuse now? Just an irritant. Good luck new players.

I love it but the new Gunslinger super is just dumb. I don't even want a nerf really, just
    make it require some aim on the user's part.

Positives:
    Stuff to do without feeling too grindy - pretty much every area of the game is offering a powerful engram. Seems to be designed in a way to actively discourage just smashing out one activity on repeat.

For someone who skipped loads of D2 it feels very varied now - lost sectors, escalation protocol, wells (though this seems like another missed opportunity, very samey).

Crucible feels a lot better, not quite HoW peak but enjoyable. Pity there's no trials, trying the comp quest instead.

Being able to look at and purchase any gun I've ever had

The new accolades thing (can't remember exact name). Though how do I get emblems from it? Its not clear at all. Do you need to complete an entire circle i.e. crucible? Or parts of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,668 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just on the Blind Well thing being very samey.

100% agree. Apart from increasing the light level and adding a boss at the end there is no difference in the 3 versions.

However, it is very likely that the Blind Well is going to change in a big way either next week or the week after. Lore points to us basically performing a ritual that is, over time, opening a portal - under the centre area over the room. the slight changes in the Dreaming City itself point to this as well, with more Taken.

For your question on the accolades - yes, to get the emblems from it you need to fully complete a section - I reckon even a single one will be beyond the vast majority of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Agree with the above. I reckon I have already got my moneys worth out of the DLC.
    AdamD wrote: »
    I love it but the new Gunslinger super is just dumb. I don't even want a nerf really, just
    make it require some aim on the user's part.

I did manage to miss someone in the crucible last night with the knives. Couldn't believe it, I just stood wondering what happened and got killed. It is great obliterating yellow bars with it in PvE though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

New raid is a hoot, but tough as fook. Deffo gonna need at least another weeks hard grind to make a dent in it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Don't worry wonda I'll give it a go in a few weeks and carry ya through ha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Got Forsaken. I seem to be happy once I have characters to level up. Got the Titan to 500 but so many questions.

What are the pvp meta guns now?
    What's gambit like.
    Why's that big worm such a s**thead? This may have been from an earlier expansion.
    How do you get clan xp?
    Am I missing any bounties, it seems to be Shax for MP, Zavala for strikes and the random world npcs?
    What's the max light level?
    What stuff are people doing?

I played a little last weekend and slaughtered scrubs in the pvp thanks to it being free on PSN. Normal service will no doubt resume shortly.

PvP:

Primary: 390/450 pulse or 140 Hand Cannon. Mida and Vigilance Wing also usable
    Secondary: Shotgun/Sniper/Telesto

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thanks when I quit playing it was all about Uriels Gift and the Last Hope. Fusions were very strong. presumably this's changed now that they're energy weapons too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Got Forsaken. I seem to be happy once I have characters to level up. Got the Titan to 500 but so many questions.

What are the pvp meta guns now? bit of a mix with hand canons and pulses being popular and lots are still just discovering new weapons but inaugural address is really user friendly pulse thats slaying.

So many new weapons to test at the moment.

What's gambit like. great fun if you can pull your own team together. Good bit to keep you going with the PVE/PVP mix

Why's that big worm such a s**thead? This may have been from an earlier expansion. - Have you played Warmind?

How do you get clan xp? Bounties from Hawethorne

Am I missing any bounties, it seems to be Shax for MP, Zavala for strikes and the random world npcs? There are bounties from everyone but focus on the powerful gear ones

What's the max light level? 600 but you will be a lng time grinding for it!From 520 up is a slog and I dont know of anyone any where near 550-560 never mind 600

What stuff are people doing?
    Everything because if you want the powerful gear and associated light level jumps, its a great help.

Get to level 50 before you start the forsaken campaign. Get the story done, get the dreaming city open, get Spiders bounties done and hunt them down, get the powerful gear milestones and chase prime engrams and exotics

I played a little last weekend and slaughtered scrubs in the pvp thanks to it being free on PSN. Normal service will no doubt resume shortly.

None of the above is exhaustive but you need to get started. You will be googling most of it anyway. Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Seen as people are answerimg questions....

Do planatary tokens not drop anymore?

When should we hand in tokens?
    Ive saved all mine from pre forsaken and im 505LL now.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Seen as people are answerimg questions....

Do planatary tokens not drop anymore?

When should we hand in tokens?
    Ive saved all mine from pre forsaken and im 505LL now.

Nope, planetary tokens and blue planetary materials no longer drop. They will not be removed from your inventory so can be used at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

I used most of mine when I hit 500 LL and level 48 so I had a choice of different weapon types

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nope, planetary tokens and blue planetary materials no longer drop. They will not be removed from your inventory so can be used at any time.

How does that work with the requirements for Vance's Verses quests?

How does that work with the requirements for Vance's Verses quests?

The drop mats for those a specific to the verses. You can only get them when you have the verse, I doubt they've been affected

The drop mats for those a specific to the verses. You can only get them when you have the verse, I doubt they've been affected

This. The stuff required for the verses aren't planetary materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Got an Edge Transit last night! Pretty cool! /s

Daraa wrote: »

If you can get one with Genesis / Rangefinder / Thermoplastic Grenades, it's the best. Almost Godly. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Daraa wrote: »

not sure whether it is what i am playing, or just luck, but the last 15+ power weapons that have dropped for me are grenade launchers, as a result i have a few of these, one of them with rampage and rangefinder melts.

on the negative side, i'm not a big grenade launcher fan and would like something else to drop :)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    not sure whether it is what i am playing, or just luck, but the last 15+ power weapons that have dropped for me are grenade launchers, as a result i have a few of these, one of them with rampage and rangefinder melts.

on the negative side, i'm not a big grenade launcher fan and would like something else to drop :)

Pretty much all that can drop in the legendary heavy pool, the other weapons are faction/destination rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Really enjoying this. Still only early days as I think I'm level 17 or so but I'm loving the grand spectacle of the whole thing, and the super smooth gun play is icing on the cake. Playing on PC with a pad and I noticed the recoil is less when using a mouse compared to a pad, would have thought it would have been opposite way around. The generous aim assist makes up for the increased recoil for sure. Some times I feel like it's playing itself and all I'm doing is pulling the trigger.

Really enjoying this. Still only early days as I think I'm level 17 or so but I'm loving the grand spectacle of the whole thing, and the super smooth gun play is icing on the cake. Playing on PC with a pad and I noticed the recoil is less when using a mouse compared to a pad, would have thought it would have been opposite way around. The generous aim assist makes up for the increased recoil for sure. Some times I feel like it's playing itself and all I'm doing is pulling the trigger.

Your still only a young Guardian learning the ways of the Light. Enjoy the journey up to 50 / 600.

Whatever negatives you can say about Destiny (some warranted, others not so much), one of the things that Bungie have consistently gotten right is the gunplay. It's some of the best gunplay in gaming. The other would be the Skybox. There are some stunning vistas in Destiny that don't always get recognised initially.

They have made huge improvements to the game with update 2.0 (just before Forsaken released) and with Forsaken itself. I don't play on PC (due to old man dexterity with M&KB) but visually, it is something else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Had a go at this on mates PS4 over the weekend since im loving the PC version and its a totally different game to play.
    Looks pretty bad on console compared to PC and only playing at 30 fps , how anyone can play at that is beyond me.
    Awesome game though, with a proper endgame at last.

Dcully wrote: »
    Had a go at this on mates PS4 over the weekend since im loving the PC version and its a totally different game to play.
    Looks pretty bad on console compared to PC and only playing at 30 fps , how anyone can play at that is beyond me.

Yes, comparing the two versions side by side, PC will always win out. There are technical limitations as to why the console versions are locked to 30 fps, even on the OneX and Pro (aside from negating any sort of advantage gained from a 60fps version on the X and Pro versus the standards when it comes to crucible). The console CPU's, in all versions, from standard up to X/Pro, just can't handle 60fps. It's a shame we'll have to wait to the next gen systems (if we're lucky).

For me though, the console version is fine, it's where the community was built and where it stayed. The joy of the game is doing the raids and crucible with people from the community, it's always been a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

When it's what you're used to, its fine. I'd say if I played on PC then tried going back to console it would drive me mad though.

The one thing that does annoy me on console is the loading times. They seem to be getting worse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

The one thing that does annoy me on console is the loading times. They seem to be getting worse too.

Changing loadout mid activity is not good. You've time enough to boil the kettle.

The game is fine after a couple of hours but swapping back from Fortnite felt horrible at first. The whole game looks zoomed in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

it's where the community was built and where it stayed

Pretty massive community on PC too and gaining more and more thanks to rave reviews of forsaken.
    PC gamers into looter games are used to games with expansive endgame so once D2 got a proper endgame it was bound to be invaded by the PC folks.

I joined the overclockers uk clan and there are 30-50 people on every night.

• Advertisement

Pretty massive community on PC too and gaining more and more thanks to rave reviews of forsaken.
    PC gamers into looter games are used to games with expansive endgame so once D2 got a proper endgame it was bound to be invaded by the PC folks.

I joined the overclockers uk clan and there are 30-50 people on every night.

Sorry, was implying the boards community when I said that, not the overall Destiny Community. If Vicarious Visions hadn't hit the ball out of the park when they built the PC version, it could have gone very badly. They really nailed it.

My one wish for Destiny endgame would be for it to be similar to Diablo, in relation to Greater Rifts. I'm sure there is some technical difficulties preventing it, as they had a template for it with Infinite Forest, but that turned out to be not so infinite. Would also like a Transmog system, again similar to Diablo / WoW versions.

Advertisement