Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you should think before buying in Maplin ROI

Options
  • 08-12-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I emailed Maplin for an explanation why their prices in Dublin are grossly in excess of those in Belfast - even on Black Friday and considering what the value of STG v Euro has been for quite some time.

Below is the reply I got for this price comparison.

ab6rtv.jpg

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Thank you for contacting Maplin Electronics.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the cost of products located within our stores in the Republic of Ireland.

As an international business that buys products from all over the world, we manage a pricing policy in the Republic of Ireland that takes a number of factors into consideration when we set our local price.

International currency rates which include; Sterling, US dollar and Euros change on a daily basis, other factors such as local taxes, inflation and ultimately the cost of doing business in that country determine and help us set our prices. We try not to alter these prices substantially but reserve the right to do so.

Our prices in the Republic of Ireland have not changed substantially and it is not our intention for them to do so, regardless of movements in individual currencies. We do not believe that is the right approach for our business and we still believe that we provide excellent convenience and value for money to our customers on a local basis".

Today's prices for the same item are:

Dublin €599.99
    Belfast €501 (converted from £439.99
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair to Maplin, most retailers are the same when it comes to prices in NI v ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

An interesting exercise would be what car would justify not spending £100 extra on a trip over the border from Dublin. A Rolls-Royce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I can't understand how anyone would consider buying from the same company that gouges customers in the south.

The ONLY way to get these practices to change is to move your business to a locally owned company.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

xaforb wrote: »
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I emailed Maplin for an explanation why their prices in Dublin are grossly in excess of those in Belfast - even on Black Friday and considering what the value of STG v Euro has been for quite some time.

Below is the reply I got for this price comparison.

ab6rtv.jpg

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Thank you for contacting Maplin Electronics.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the cost of products located within our stores in the Republic of Ireland.

As an international business that buys products from all over the world, we manage a pricing policy in the Republic of Ireland that takes a number of factors into consideration when we set our local price.

International currency rates which include; Sterling, US dollar and Euros change on a daily basis, other factors such as local taxes, inflation and ultimately the cost of doing business in that country determine and help us set our prices. We try not to alter these prices substantially but reserve the right to do so.

Our prices in the Republic of Ireland have not changed substantially and it is not our intention for them to do so, regardless of movements in individual currencies. We do not believe that is the right approach for our business and we still believe that we provide excellent convenience and value for money to our customers on a local basis".

Today's prices for the same item are:

Dublin €599.99
    Belfast €501 (converted from £439.99
    [/FONT]

I visit Maplin very frequently but never buy there, I find there price over the top, even there sale items are generally more expensive than competitors regular price. I visit because of the range they carry and to compare price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

decor58 wrote: »
    I visit Maplin very frequently but never buy there, I find there price over the top, even there sale items are generally more expensive than competitors regular price. I visit because of the range they carry and to compare price.

Agreed here

Their products are very expensive I find and never have bought there I always seem to find alternative / same products cheaper elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

wally1990 wrote:
    Their products are very expensive I find and never have bought there I always seem to find alternative / same products cheaper elsewhere

Yep no need for them imo . I buy on line anywhere rather than being ripped off by these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

It's the same with Argos in NI & IE, I once got a bracelet when i checked on prices between both for my mum in Derry & found it £100 cheaper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

decor58 wrote: »

They are handy if you need something on a sunday, and cannot wait 24hrs for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Any suggestions for an alternative bricks and mortar supplier with better prices?

• Advertisement
Advertisement