Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner in the city - options

Options
  • 09-12-2017 1:33am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone kindly help me out here?

I will be in Cork over Christmas and was wondering if there was anywhere that served a decent Christmas dinner for two at a price that is not outrageous? I would be very grateful for any suggestions or recommendations that you may have.

Thanks,

JK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

On Christmas Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

I would try the hotels if I were you.A lot of them will be open and serving lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Imperial n South Mall cater for multidues for Christmas lunch.
    Youd want to book though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I’d say good look finding somewhere that isn’t booked out! A friend of mine was calling places about a month ago and couldn’t find anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The Metropole does Christmas dinner, 70 a head about. Might be booked out though. Hayfield Manor is another but being a five star would be dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The Metropole does Christmas dinner, 70 a head about. Might be booked out though. Hayfield Manor is another but being a five star would be dearer.

Metropole is sold out, but I believe the Imperial still have availability but its €110 per head

Metropole is sold out, but I believe the Imperial still have availability but its €110 per head

That's crazy. They would have to be doing a good few courses for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Your paying for more than just food on Christmas day, no money would drag me from my family that day of all days so respect to those that do or have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

A chunk of that money goes towards triple pay for the staff.
    Doubt you'd find it much cheaper.

.red. wrote: »
    A chunk of that money goes towards triple pay for the staff.
    Doubt you'd find it much cheaper.

I was just saying that's all. I had Christmas dinner in a hotel before and it was 45 each for a buffet and it was gorgeous plus I used to be a chef and I'd have no problem working on that day if I had to, the need just didn't arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

SomeFool wrote: »
    Your paying for more than just food on Christmas day, no money would drag me from my family that day of all days so respect to those that do or have to!

My little brother is working in one of the hotels mentioned in this thread. He's still in college, only working part time but unfortunately the folks aren't in a position to help him with fees, so he's working to save for those.

He is supposed to be working 12pm to close on Christmas Eve, close will likely be around 2am, so a 14 hour shift. Back in on Christmas Day at 6am - noon, and then back at 4pm - 9pm, working a split. He's very unlikely to be allowed leave at 9pm, it'll probably be more like 11pm when he finishes.

This isn't just him, its about 98% of the staff there in the same situation. I've told him I'll give him whatever he's short for his fees and he can pay me back when he gets another job in the Summer break.

Nothing is worth missing out that much for a non essential service. I know someone has to do it, but I was so gutted for him to be missing all of Christmas Eve/Day that I'd rather just give him the money.

Totally OT but just had to say. I nearly wish they charged more than €110 to put people off booking, so they need as few staff as possible. Its a different story for people staying in the hotel visiting family, I know they have very limited options and would need to book, but I bet a lot of the bookings are from people who just don't want to cook.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate that dinner on Christmas Day would be very expensive because of the extra pay staff rightly deserve for working on the day. I don't have any close family living in Ireland as my parents are now sadly passed away and my two sisters live abroad.

We are staying in a hotel just outside the city and have now come to an agreement with the hotel for the price and options for Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate that dinner on Christmas Day would be very expensive because of the extra pay staff rightly deserve for working on the day.

We are staying in a hotel just outside the city and have now come to an agreement with the hotel for the price and options for Christmas dinner.

Glad ye got sorted, nothing more stressful than trying to organise something like that! Hope ye have a lovely Christmas dinner :)

Advertisement