Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh cork city, what have you done?????

Options
  • 09-12-2017 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

The landscape of cork, its quaint side streets, its crown jewel of patrick street, the whole city, it has been over run by degenerate begfars amd thieves on the street. The homeless problem is a problem but rhese are not homeless. These are con men, they are thieves, they are extortionate filth of the highest order. The city is ruined and we need to act as one to push this filth out. No more giving money to them. Give it to penny dinners or share or simon of you absolutely must. This is not the poor starving homeless, this is chancers, bluffers, blaggards. Its not a class thing. Its not a wealth thing. Its not racism. Its not xenophobia. Its an infestation of peole out for a quick buck and a free ride.

Please dont give money to beggars on the streets of cork this christmas. You are enabling these people by doing so and promoting the influx of these shameful feckers who do nothing but muddy the waters of the needy and desperate in the city center.
    Dublin is already overrun with this problem. We camt go the same way. Starve them of their income and feed the genuinely helpless.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Sounds like someone may have had a few pints and a bad run in with a beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Not at all. Im back home after a few months away.
    The crap spelling is due to phone screen being smashed.
    The poor grammer is all me though im afraid.

Lgoing through the city tonight, i was aghast at the number of people in doorways. It looked like london. Cork NEVER had anyting like this problem before. Not one of them was irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Lgoing through the city tonight, i was aghast at the number of people in doorways. It looked like london. Cork NEVER had anyting like this problem before. Not one of them was irish.

Interesting to hear that there are no Irish people sleeping in doorways in the city centre.

That will be news to the family of the woman who died this week. homeless. in a doorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

Id agree with ya Cork is filthy with beggers -heard on prendeville someone drives them up in a van and collects them after.
    Cops should arrest them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

No more giving money to them. Give it to penny dinners or share or simon of you absolutely must.

If you absolutely must?
    This is what makes me think your just a miserable twat with a hidden agenda!
    Share and Simon are worthy of a few bob at Christmas but Penny Dinners is one of the best charities out there. Its run properly by genuinely good people and its a lot more than the social degenerates you describe that use it.

I really hope your never down on your luck and need someone's help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Zico ! wrote: »
    Id agree with ya Cork is filthy with beggers -heard on prendeville someone drives them up in a van and collects them after.
    Cops should arrest them

I mean, I can't stand the 'false' beggars around the city, but arrest them for what exactly?

.red. wrote: »
    If you absolutely must?
    This is what makes me think your just a miserable twat with a hidden agenda!
    Share and Simon are worthy of a few bob at Christmas but Penny Dinners is one of the best charities out there. Its run properly by genuinely good people and its a lot more than the social degenerates you describe that use it.

I really hope your never down on your luck and need someone's help.

If you are feeling the need to donate to the homeless. Im all for giving money to chariries but these people arent charity, they are speculative thieves. I can see why Brexit was voted for if you open your door every morning to this sort of carry on.

And to the person above, if you were directing your faux outrage about homelessness towards these filthy scoungers amd getting them out of the area, then services, time, money and help could be centered on the likes of that poor woman who died last week. She was neglected because the resourses there for homeless people are stretched to brealkng point to account for these blowins that have no affiliation to the city whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

drive them up from where? they sleep in the doorways of super dry, holland+barret & the old lifestyle sports. sure, they're not irish - theres an irish guy in the doorway to the victoria hotel - but where are they from? theres at least 8 of them sleeping out at night that i pass on the way to work. the gardai have surely paid them a visit just to see if their papers are in order - i wouldn't be 100% they're european

jackrussel wrote: »
    drive them up from where? they sleep in the doorways of super dry, holland+barret & the old lifestyle sports. sure, they're not irish - theres an irish guy in the doorway to the victoria hotel - but where are they from? theres at least 8 of them sleeping out at night that i pass on the way to work. the gardai have surely paid them a visit just to see if their papers are in order - i wouldn't be 100% they're european

A portion of them are a begging ring, they are dropped off at half 7 at the top of oliver plunkett street amd they are all assigned spits, then every 4 hours, they switch up positions. Theres a number of them living out in the countryside up past rathcormac, more are actually ferried down from Dublin.
    Its not the innocent homeless hard on your luck story that these people are coming from, they are organised, aggressive and unwanted in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Having also been out and about in the city last night I have to say that I agree. I'd know quite a few of the 'regulars' that have been on the streets or using Cork Simon or Vincents hostel but these guys (and a few girls) are a different breed. I'd agree with the OP that these seem to opportunists rather than genuinely homeless. What struck me was that, whilst bedded down, none of them were actually asleep !!
    There's a few out of the way locations around the city that the genuine homeless use and they try to stay out of the way and not be seen - as much for their own safety as anything else. This current crop seem to want to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

It’s those foreign homeless coming and taking all the doorways away from the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

how are they dropped off at half 7 when i see them getting up at half 7 from said doorways? they even leave their bedding at the former lifestyle during the day so I'm not sure we're talking about them same people. these foreign folks have only been around the past month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Is Cork "easier" for beggars than Dublin?

Is Cork "easier" for beggars than Dublin?

Yes and no.
    The gardai know the usuals in dublin but there is less junkies in cork so people tend to be a bit more naive in giving to them. Not long now before your being 0estered every 30 seconds for change for a hostel.
    With this lot will come the heroin. Mark my words. Every degenerate going will flock into the city because its still better then what they came from.
    This is the point of bo return for the city center tbh. No coming back from it if this keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Yes and no.
    The gardai know the usuals in dublin but there is less junkies in cork so people tend to be a bit more naive in giving to them. Not long now before your being 0estered every 30 seconds for change for a hostel.
    With this lot will come the heroin. Mark my words. Every degenerate going will flock into the city because its still better then what they came from.
    This is the point of bo return for the city center tbh. No coming back from it if this keeps up.

The city is already overflowing with heroin and there's a few addicts on the street as well. Generally at night though once they have their money for a fix they tend to get out of the way somewhere, either off the beaten track or in a disused building somewhere. You'll see a few around but it's nowhere nearly as bad as Dublin yet. I'd have some degree of sympathy for them though, as I would for some of the winos and alcoholics, but not for this new breed of scrounger who are no more homeless than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Maybe they are only around for Christmas certainly not needed.

ofcork wrote: »
    Maybe they are only around for Christmas certainly not needed.

The other 11 months of the year they are off robbing elderly people in the countryside.

This is the naivety i was talking about. They are here to stay unless something is done about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I dont give money to anyone on the street but im not going to take your advice either op. Im very cynical anput homeless charities. Too many of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I see where OP is coming from. Was living in cork up to a year ago.was back for he jazz weekend and it was v noticable on patrick street. Organising beginnig is a problwm in our cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have seen 2 off them with there over the top actions over the past week.

One guy was in a door way near the end of Patrick st and he got up normal walked a but seen me looking at him and started to do a limp I could not hold back the laughter inside.

Then another one was at the back of penny's with a walking stick. She was able to use the stick and basicly lye down at the same time the over action me and the girlfirend were laughing at.

Yes cork has a huge issues with homeless at the moment and it's extramly sad with what is going on as there is proper homeless people in the city and working out who they are and are the ones who need help us getting worse and worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I never give to anyone on the street, hard to tell the genuine cases from the chancers and it just encourages the thing. I do see people begging and attempting to pull the heartstrings accompanied by dogs and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was working outside at my parents house yesterday when a car pulled into the cul de sac. Door opened accompanied by a load of shouting and a little girl barely 4 jumped out. Was running up to doors in the park under direction of what I presume was her mother waiting by the car. She was asking for "any spare change or food for Christmas". Big runny red nose on her, she'd obviously been doing this out in the cold for a while.

I felt incredibly conflicted, I wouldn't ever give money in a situation like that, especially when a preschool child was being taken advantage of. But the asking for food bit threw me, could they be genuine? It wasn't my house to be raiding the cupboards anyway so that decided that. The child went back empty handed and got abuse for doing so by the sounds if it. I have no idea whether this was organised begging and some sort of child abuse or whether they were a genuine hungry case acting desperately. They had gone before I thought to get the reg.

I don't think there's any real reason for children to go hungry is there, with the likes of SVDP and Penny Dinners around?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

We were out in town a few weeks back, saw a lot of these guys on pana, no bother to them, smart phones hanging off them. I am not doing a Joan Burton here, but I cant understand how they have them while begging, if I was that down I'm sure I would sell the phone to get a meal.It is organized, a penny dinner volunteer told me this, and they never show up there for food. Give your few bob to PD's and if you have any decent clothes or toys you don't want, drop them in too, it's not just "homeless" who use their service's.

I have seen 2 off them with there over the top actions over the past week.

One guy was in a door way near the end of Patrick st and he got up normal walked a but seen me looking at him and started to do a limp I could not hold back the laughter inside.

Then another one was at the back of penny's with a walking stick. She was able to use the stick and basicly lye down at the same time the over action me and the girlfirend were laughing at.

Yes cork has a huge issues with homeless at the moment and it's extramly sad with what is going on as there is proper homeless people in the city and working out who they are and are the ones who need help us getting worse and worse.

Spikes in doorways. Begging license like busking. Sorts email alll out.gives an idea of who's doing what in the city. Who's on crack. Who is homeless. Where. Registered people in need and then work through them to help them. Quickly see these hooors deck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There is a difference between being wary of potential scammers on the street and suggesting people avoid donating to reputable charities such as Penny Dinners.

In my opinion it can be quite easy to tell apart the chancers from the genuine cases. There's an elderly lady who is consistently begging on Nano Nagle bridge, I often see Irish pensioners giving her cash, and she's actually a neighbour of one of my relatives so isn't homeless at all.

There is also a girl usually outside Uncle Petes, by Paul St. She begs with a full face of make up, brand new runners, and I've seen her a few times texting under her blanket on a smartphone. I think she's a chancer too.

Honestly, after 9-10pm in the dead of winter, no one is sitting on a doorway because they choose to or because they're trying to make money. The chancers will be long gone by then, they'll have made their coin preying on the Saturday shoppers.
    The people sleeping in doorways may not be Irish but I for one would hate to be in a foreign country with no family or support and ending up in a situation where I'm sleeping rough.

As for the charities there is none more wholesome than Penny dinners, they truly are a selfless bunch who help those truly in need. They deserve every donation they get and more.

Spikes in doorways. Begging license like busking. Sorts email alll out.gives an idea of who's doing what in the city. Who's on crack. Who is homeless. Where. Registered people in need and then work through them to help them. Quickly see these hooors deck off.

Sorry but that's disgusting. No one, anywhere, would sleep in a freezing damp doorway if they had anywhere else they could be. A bit of compassion wouldn't go amiss, I know there's scammers but if you had your way it would be the people most in need that would suffer most.

We already have a system in place where people register for services to be helped, problem is these people don't have addresses or phones so are uncontactable and end up slipping through the cracks, lost in the system.

This issue is far deeper and more complex than "just put spikes in the doorways, arrest them, make them get begging licenses" etc.

Its very naive to suggest that any of these are a solution to the problem. Yes, it would weed out some of the scammers.
    But they'd just steal/shoplift etc to make up the shortfall, its not like they'd suddenly become respectable citizens.
    Meanwhile those who need the help most will be in an even more vulnerable position than before with even more limited access to resources to help and protect themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    No one, anywhere, would sleep in a freezing damp doorway if they had anywhere else they could be.
    Not always true. When I lived in the city we'd a guy who would try sleep inside the apartment gates cause he would drink all day and not be allowed into the shelter.
    Not disagreeing with your wider point, but there are people who don't want to make the effort to be helped.

Not always true. When I lived in the city we'd a guy who would try sleep inside the apartment gates cause he would drink all day and not be allowed into the shelter.
    Not disagreeing with your wider point, but there are people who don't want to make the effort to be helped.

If he had been allowed in the shelter, he would have slept there though, I'm sure. The issue of addiction is a totally different thing entirely.
    I agree that some people don't want to be helped. But I'm sure if he had the willpower not to drink, he'd have stayed sober to ensure he had a safe place to stay.
    Its very complex. Addiction and homelessness go hand in hand unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who knew begging could be so lucrative so as to set up begging rings?

Like how much could they possibly make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I mean, I can't stand the 'false' beggars around the city, but arrest them for what exactly?

Begging?
    Like how much could they possibly make?

I've heard a lot more than you think. In Dublin one journalist posing as a beggar got almost 300 in one day.

Advertisement