Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh cork city, what have you done?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Begging?

Not illegal to beg unless it's in an aggressive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Why shouldn't homeless people have smartphones? It's hardly as if a smartphone is an expensive luxury item these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Why shouldn't homeless people have smartphones? It's hardly as if a smartphone is an expensive luxury item these days.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have one. But I would say a smartphone is most definitely a luxury item that can be done without, when you don't even have a roof over your head.
    Anyway, my point is, I don't think she was even homeless. Her tracksuit was immaculate, her runners were clean and looked newish. She had a full face of make up on and her hair was tidy. She was hiding her smartphone and texting under a blanket. She was wearing quite a lot of jewelry.
    I could of course be totally wrong, but I don't think she was homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you living in a parallel dimension? 
    It IS an expensive luxury. No homeless person I know has a phone, let alone a smartphone. We're talking poverty here, not a lifestyle choice.  Where the fook do you charge it? How do you keep it dry? Where does the credit come from? How do you stop yourself trading it for something else or it being robbed by one of your less-than-sober fellow homeless person?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

pwurple wrote: »
    Are you living in a parallel dimension? 
    It IS an expensive luxury. No homeless person I know has a phone, let alone a smartphone. We're talking poverty here, not a lifestyle choice.  Where the fook do you charge it? How do you keep it dry? Where does the credit come from? How do you stop yourself trading it for something else or it being robbed by one of your less-than-sober fellow homeless person?
    Do you possibly mean rough sleepers here rather than homeless?

And hostels and the like allow you to charge phones. Not sure about here but in Dublin some overnight shelters advise people check their websites for bed availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Not illegal to beg unless it's in an aggressive manner.

It is illegal to beg

Who knew begging could be so lucrative so as to set up begging rings?

Like how much could they possibly make?

500 euro for 2 days begging in Cork City

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I have noticed a similar theme in Galway, come christmas time its full of Romani.
    I have nothing against giving homeless charities a few pounds in fact id tell people to do it but these chancers are disgusting people who are there to scam people out of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Not from Cork and hadn't been in the city centre with over a year but was there this afternoon shopping and I just couldn't believe all the doorways occupied on Patrick street as darkness fell. That's what brought me to the Cork city forum to see was it a new phenomenon. Surely there can't be that many homeless in a city like Cork that they can't provide a hostel... so sad to see really. But if they refuse a hostel then their motives would need to be questioned alright.

Zico ! wrote: »
    It is illegal to beg

No it isn't. Begging is not illegal. It is illegal to beg in an aggressive or threatening manner. The Gardai also have the power to move a beggar on if they see fit but begging in and of itself is not illegal. Check the statute: Criminal Justice Act 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Not from Cork and hadn't been in the city centre with over a year but was there this afternoon shopping and I just couldn't believe all the doorways occupied on Patrick street as darkness fell. That's what brought me to the Cork city forum to see was it a new phenomenon. Surely there can't be that many homeless in a city like Cork that they can't provide a hostel... so sad to see really. But if they refuse a hostel then their motives would need to be questioned alright.

The hostels and shelters are full. And/or refuse drunken , agressive, doped people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

500 euro for 2 days begging in Cork City

Fools and their 'spare change'.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

This is taken from the Galway city thread but same problem.

http://connachttribune.ie/organised-...udge-says-330/

Same thing happening up here in Dublin as well.

No it isn't. Begging is not illegal. It is illegal to beg in an aggressive or threatening manner. The Gardai also have the power to move a beggar on if they see fit but begging in and of itself is not illegal. Check the statute: Criminal Justice Act 2011.

Ah tis that act is 6 years old and not relevant

Ah tis that act is 6 years old and not relevant

How is the act out of date exactly? Point out the most current statute so please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

All these romany or whatever they are should be deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ofcork wrote: »
    All these romany or whatever they are should be deported.

Can't as bulgera and rommina are part of the EU so means they can come and go as they wish can be deported !!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Can't as bulgera and rommina are part of the EU so means they can come and go as they wish can be deported !!!.

They can be deported via an Exclusion order but generally they're only issued if the person is a criminal or is convicted of a number of criminal offences.

Every doorway on Patrick st was full last night with these beggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ofcork wrote: »
    Every doorway on Patrick st was full last night with these beggers.

Anyone sleeping in a doorway is not a begger, they are homeless. No one would sleep outside in these conditions in a hope to garner sympathy for a few euro.
    The beggars are the lads sitting next to ATMs on Saturdays while the Christmas shoppers are out in full swing.

• Advertisement

I am referring to the roma or whoever they are need to clamp down on this.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Anyone sleeping in a doorway is not a begger, they are homeless. No one would sleep outside in these conditions in a hope to garner sympathy for a few euro.
    The beggars are the lads sitting next to ATMs on Saturdays while the Christmas shoppers are out in full swing.

Yes people would pretend to sleep in these conditions to earn a few quid

That's what is going on at the moment looks terrible on our main street and detracts from genuine cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

I was in Patrick st on Tuesday, I was shocked at the amount of mattresses fully adorned with white sheets and duvets up against doorways, it looked really awful. I saw one young romany looking girl get under the duvet and was literally just lying there when an older woman came along and appeared to scold her in a foreign language. A man on street said the are being bussed in and police doing nothing.

Steer55 wrote: »
    I was in Patrick st on Tuesday, I was shocked at the amount of mattresses fully adorned with white sheets and duvets up against doorways, it looked really awful. I saw one young romany looking girl get under the duvet and was literally just lying there when an older woman came along and appeared to scold her in a foreign language. A man on street said the are being bussed in and police doing nothing.

Romanian I d say :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

WhiteRoses wrote: »

This crowd disappear and sleep during the day - they beg at night under the guise of homelessness. They're scammers, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd love to pull up in a van and offer to take them off to some sheltered accommodation somewhere. As they're technically probably not doing anything illegal this is what the authorities should be doing. I'm sure there's an empty hall or two somewhere out around the outskirts of the city that's warm and dry. I'm willing to bet that every one of this crowd will decline the offer, If they do then move them on. Keep doing this and they'll disappear within a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone hear chief Supt. Barry McPolin on the news earlier saying that he believes that some are actually being FLOWN in to beg. Apparently gardai found airline tickets on a group of them who were arrested last week.

Cork is obviously seen as an easy target, but i suppose its a compliment that we are accessible as a City :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

walked around City today.

boy is it depressing and also the City is becoming filthy.

it was a lovely nice place up to about 2014 but now it's just a eye sore and no wonder nobody wants walk around shopping in that.

depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We are a very generous country. The organised begging is just awful. We are a generous country support wise. I am sick of this. I suppose they would only get a few shekels or a kick in their country of origin, so they know where to go for the organised possibly trafficked begging runs.

But it is up to you. Either give or not.

If you keep giving, they will keep coming over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

How is the act out of date exactly? Point out the most current statute so please. Thanks.

Ugh.

Advertisement