Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh cork city, what have you done?????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The landscape of cork, its quaint side streets, its crown jewel of patrick street, the whole city, it has been over run by degenerate begfars amd thieves on the street. The homeless problem is a problem but rhese are not homeless. These are con men, they are thieves, they are extortionate filth of the highest order. The city is ruined and we need to act as one to push this filth out. No more giving money to them. Give it to penny dinners or share or simon of you absolutely must. This is not the poor starving homeless, this is chancers, bluffers, blaggards. Its not a class thing. Its not a wealth thing. Its not racism. Its not xenophobia. Its an infestation of peole out for a quick buck and a free ride.

Please dont give money to beggars on the streets of cork this christmas. You are enabling these people by doing so and promoting the influx of these shameful feckers who do nothing but muddy the waters of the needy and desperate in the city center.
    Dublin is already overrun with this problem. We camt go the same way. Starve them of their income and feed the genuinely helpless.

Thanks.

I think this applies to every major city & town in Ireland & the authorities will do absolutely nothing about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

walked around City today.

boy is it depressing and also the City is becoming filthy.

it was a lovely nice place up to about 2014 but now it's just a eye sore and no wonder nobody wants walk around shopping in that.

depressing.

Was in town yesterday evening and there were crowds of people doing shopping and out on the streets. Certainly didn't see nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Was in town yesterday evening and there were crowds of people doing shopping and out on the streets. Certainly didn't see nobody.

they're always be people shopping, going work etc but not as busy as usual and look on people's faces when seeing what they saw was quiet alarming.

Ugh.

Sorry don't know that one. Do you have a link?

they're always be people shopping, going work etc but not as busy as usual and look on people's faces when seeing what they saw was quiet alarming.

What do you mean the look on people's faces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've been in town every evening this week and the place was absolutely thronged, it was mental. Shoppers everywhere. Every car park in cork city was full last weekend.
    I think you might be being a bit over dramatic. The city is busier than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone hear chief Supt. Barry McPolin on the news earlier saying that he believes that some are actually being FLOWN in to beg. Apparently gardai found airline tickets on a group of them who were arrested last week.

Cork is obviously seen as an easy target, but i suppose its a compliment that we are accessible as a City :rolleyes:

I'm not fan of these bums exploiting the system, but what's with the 'accessible' comment. They're EU citizens travelling within the EU, just like you or I going on holiday to Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The man with a beard sleeping by Boots is genuine, He has mental health problems and happens to be a nice but eccentric man, Seeing him on the streets has annoyed me as I know if he stayed in a hostel the scumbags would torment him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm not fan of these bums exploiting the system, but what's with the 'accessible' comment. They're EU citizens travelling within the EU, just like you or I going on holiday to Spain.

Erm.....I didn't raise their right to travel or their citizenship, so not sure what the issue is. I work for Vodafone and we have colleagues in a a huge office in Bucharest. The additional flights out of Cork really help link with flights out of Dublin or London, so Cork has become very accessible & that has its plusses and minuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Obviously, people here are soft touches otherwise it wouldn't be worth their while.

A public information campaign is needed. People need to wise up a small bit.

What do you mean the look on people's faces?

when they look at how the City is basically a homeless shelter and begging ghetto during the day, not just something you see at 4amy anymore

when they look at how the City is basically a homeless shelter and begging ghetto during the day, not just something you see at 4amy anymore

Haven't seen that. Was in town today, the place was jammed. Didn't see people with looks of horror on their faces and didn't see a begging ghetto. Actually went out of my way to try to notice begging and didn't see anything other than one chap on Oliver Plunkett street.

Haven't seen that. Was in town today, the place was jammed. Didn't see people with looks of horror on their faces and didn't see a begging ghetto. Actually went out of my way to try to notice begging and didn't see anything other than one chap on Oliver Plunkett street.

at 12.10 today was 3 beggers on South Mall, 2 by Post Office, 2 by banks on way to Patrick street. on Patrick street saw 8 people lying in doorways mostly around Penny's and up from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I was in town yesterday and I don't think I've ever seen the city centre busier. The streets were absolutely thronged.

Yeah, there's a bit of a homeless problem at the moment, which needs to be urgently tackled and there's some organised begging, which is something that I see in pretty much every city I visit in Europe.

I would disagree with the OP or whoever was saying that the majority of the homeless are not Irish, from what I can see they most definitely are Irish. In most cases, they're people who've fallen out of the bottom of the now totally over-priced rental market and there's no social housing capacity at present to pick them up.

We need something like long-term, managed small apartments that people in those kinds of situations can move into until they can be rehoused properly.

With regard to the organised begging, yes it's a bit of an annoyance but I would still think Cork's certainly way down the league of cities I've visited. Most of Europe has a major issue with this at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

at 12.10 today was 3 beggers on South Mall, 2 by Post Office, 2 by banks on way to Patrick street. on Patrick street saw 8 people lying in doorways mostly around Penny's and up from it.

They cleaned up Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

X mas eve count. Merchants quay to daunt square.
    18 romanians.
    1 irish ( opposite burger king in the doorway of the closed chinese place)
    1 unknown as covered with a blanket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

X mas eve count. Merchants quay to daunt square.
    18 romanians.
    1 irish ( opposite burger king in the doorway of the closed chinese place)
    1 unknown as covered with a blanket.
    Out counting the homeless on xmas eve?
    Did you do a passport check while at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Drove through town an hour ago. At least 15 people out sleeping rough.

Don't worry though, they chose to do it for all the money they'd make begging on such a busy night for the city centre :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

We need to provide serious solutions to rough sleeping. It's an absolute disgrace that in a country with this kind of wealth available that anyone's reduced to that kind of scenario. You're also talking relatively small number of people.

Just figure out why they're falling through the cracks and fix it! Surely this is why we have social services and social workers?

Also I think we need to stop conflating homelessness types. Rough sleeping is very, very, very urgent and need to be fixed.

Temporary and unstable accommodation scenarios also need to be addressed and are stressful but they're not likely to have someone die of hypothermia.

We've a badly broken housing system at the moment and it was caused decades ago - I remember getting shocked at homelessness in Dublin back in about 2005/6 at peak Celtic Tiger and under FF/PD government.

There's been no serious social/affordable housing built since the 80s from what I can see. We've been using the private rental sector and rent allowance in a ridiculous way.

We've never housed everyone without social housing and it's absolutely crazy to think the market will fix this. We need major intervention and also new ways if achieving long term housing stability. Not everyone can get a mortgage, even if they can afford to pay for a home.

• Advertisement

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Drove through town an hour ago. At least 15 people out sleeping rough.

Don't worry though, they chose to do it for all the money they'd make begging on such a busy night for the city centre :rolleyes:

Strange that I was in there yesterday afternoon and there wasnt 1 homeless person on the street -i think it has been proven that the majority here are flying over on a scam -this has been proven by the local gardai who were on radio 1 the other day about the Cork problem stating these were the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's all well and good, but all there is are well-meaning noises from a govt nipping around the margins of the problem without actually get stuck into building housing, the social supports that tried to prevent people ending up homeless in the first place are starved of funding.

The private sector won't lay one brick upon another unless there's something in it for them.

The homeowners don't want developments depressing the price of their own home and object to anything perceived as a threat, real or imagined.

Landlords and agencies will go with the almighty "market" and the small time have-a-go landlords are calling it a day in many cases shrinking supply further.

Now we have the cherry on the cake with a wave of fake homeless panhandling on the streets and no doubt getting meals and things they should not be entitled to.

So what are we to do?

BTW counting people on the streets is a useless exercise, it doesn't take into account the couch surfers, hotel dwellers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zico ! wrote: »
    Strange that I was in there yesterday afternoon and there wasnt 1 homeless person on the street -i think it has been proven that the majority here are flying over on a scam -this has been proven by the local gardai who were on radio 1 the other day about the Cork problem stating these were the facts.

Are you suggesting that Enzo had just made up what he/she said they saw?

Are you suggesting that Enzo had just made up what he/she said they saw?

Are you suggesting I am making up what I saw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The logical assumption would be that during the afternoon they were getting dinner at Penny dinners or one of the other charities working yesterday. Then at 11.00pm last night they were back out on the streets because they had nowhere else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No. But you do seem to be suggesting that Enzo was making up what they saw!

Out counting the homeless on xmas eve?
    Did you do a passport check while at it?

No that was last week. 25 arrest. 17 with return tickets to romania in their possession if you wish to talk about facts.

And if you are insinuating that im guessing at the nationalities of people, i can go through the subtle differences between romanians and irish for you if you so please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

X mas eve count.
    No that was last week.
    Which is it?
    And if you are insinuating that im guessing at the nationalities of people, i can go through the subtle differences between romanians and irish for you if you so please.
    Yes, unless you are passport checking, I think you are guessing.

Which is it?

Yes, unless you are passport checking, I think you are guessing.

Seriously?

If you camt tell the difference between a romanian person and an irish person then you need you head examined. Passport checling. What the hell are you on about. Im not pandering to stupidity of that nature. Its snowflaking or downright stupidity.
    Either which way, this crap is not worth emtertaining.
    Get real or get educated.
    Christ.

• Advertisement

if people have problem then maybe they should give out to Gardai who actually highlighted it

Advertisement