Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercy Hospital how to self discharge child?

Options
  • 09-12-2017 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ok so child been in few days is fine now off medicine apart from take home medication. I need to discharge as have others at home and the person watching them is unable. I am fee minutes from city centre and have car if anything changes. How can I go about discharging?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

2010RACHEL wrote: »
    Ok so child been in few days is fine now off medicine apart from take home medication. I need to discharge as have others at home and the person watching them is unable. I am fee minutes from city centre and have car if anything changes. How can I go about discharging?

Don't be so stupid ... a doctor will discharge your child when he feels it's the right time not you. Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The child is in a hospital surrounded by medical professionals, let them do their job.

I’ve had 2 children in and out of there over the last 5 years, irrespective of my opinion on whether my child is fit and healthy I’m not the one doing that job day in day out, therefore not qualified.

By the sounds of it you aren’t a medical professional either.

Do the right thing and let the hospital doctors decide when to discharge the child.

The last thing they would do is keep a healthy child in hospital and they definitely won’t keep a child in for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭2010RACHEL

It not that they don't want to discharge it's that they want to keep in another 24 hours to watch . I have children at home and have no one able to look after them after today. He has a viral infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

It not that they don't want to discharge it's that they want to keep in another 24 hours . I have children at home and have no one able to look after them after today

Well stay at home and look after your children...leave the child under observation in hospital..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hawkelady wrote: »

Technically yes, but at weekends there are few doctors available, and you may have to wait till 8pm before you get seen.

It happened me in Crumlin , child was ok at 8am but had to wait 12 hours just to be seen and discharged. No reason why I couldn’t have left at 8am

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Well stay at home and look after your children...leave the child under observation in hospital..

This
    Theres a reason theyre keeping the child in.
    Its frustrating as you think you know best.
    You dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Go home and mind your other children OP. Do not take the risk of going against professional medical opinion.

It not that they don't want to discharge it's that they want to keep in another 24 hours . I have children at home and have no one able to look after them after today

I wouldn’t go discharging a child OP.

It’s different with an adult.

I sympathise with your personal difficulties.

Is the father around to look after the other children or another family member?

I have seen children discharged in the mercy against medical advice, the parent/parents had to sign a document that they were doing so against medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What's even worse is you came here to an internet forum to ask about your child's medical needs.jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

This
    Theres a reason theyre keeping the child in.
    Its frustrating as you think you know best.
    You dont.

Maybe the reason is there's no doctor to book the child out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

emo72 wrote: »

The doctor wants to examine the child before it’s discharged.
    If there’s no doctor then you have to wait till a doctor is free.
    All the OP has to do is go home and mind her children until they ring her to come back and take her child home.
    It’s getting scary the amount of parents who have no respect for the tracing experience and expertise of the hospital staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Highly unlikely.Its not like there are no doctors at all in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - it’s undoubtedly frustrating for you, but the medical staff are doing what they believe, based on their training & experience, to be best.

Do you have to work today? Or can you spend the day at home and mind your other children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Lots depends on the age and nature of the illness. Leaving a child is hard and you need to let the ward staff know the child is unaccompanied as they assume otherwise. I’ve often waited hours for an agreed discharge just for a doctor to sign off on the child. I feel for you and wish there was some help you could get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Would you not wait until one was available to give the all clear.
    Its a hospital, place is full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Would you not wait until one was available to give the all clear.
    Its a hospital, place is full of them.

Not so many at the weekend.
    I'm not saying OP should discharge the child but I know what its like waiting on the doctors rounds to let you know and if you are still in on Friday its very likely its Monday before you get home.

tringle wrote: »
    Not so many at the weekend.
    I'm not saying OP should discharge the child but I know what its like waiting on the doctors rounds to let you know and if you are still in on Friday its very likely its Monday before you get home.

Usually skeleton staff on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's even worse is you came here to an internet forum to ask about your child's medical needs.jesus.

Jesus/Mrcarmelchoc, the op did ask about their child's medical needs. They specifically asked about the discharge procedure. Ridiculous outrage on your part, Jesus.

Advertisement