Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandblasting Timber Doors?

• 09-12-2017 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I have an old house with lots of beautiful old wooden doors. The problem is that they’ve been painted over and over for 100 years and it’s going to be a challenge to get them clean before we paint them.

I was wondering if there is a lazy way of doing this like Sandblasting? We have one front door and 7 internal doors so there is quite a bit of work in it otherwise!

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,686 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Get them dipped?

Can cause issues with glues, but it can work well.
    http://dipstrip.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A heat gun is your best bet, remember these doors were made to be painted so don't be dissapointed when you see then stripped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,686 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

aujopimur wrote: »
    A heat gun is your best bet, remember these doors were made to be painted so don't be dissapointed when you see then stripped.

Not sure about that if they are truly old. Could well be pitch pine which is beautiful when waxed or varnished.

pitch_pine_door_closeup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks all. They are 160 years old, give or take.

I couldn’t get them dipped as I need the frames cleaned too (which don’t come off)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aujopimur wrote: »
    don't forget that given the age of the doors, lead paint is in play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i know someone who got doors from a victorian era house dipped. they really liked the patina after the dipping so just waxed them IIRC.

Advertisement