Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfgang Beatersdone?

Options
  • 09-12-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

So my world famous ghetto fabulous city and offroad hack 90s rigid steel singlespeed tubeless MTB suffered a seized rear hub and I'm debating whether it's worth paying probably double the market value of the bike for a new rear wheel when the brakes have been failing (in the spirit of minimal spending I replaced the failing cheap plastic levers and cantis with bargain basement Shimano Aluminium levers and Vs).

....also V brakes on wet trails with 100kg of me on a 20kg bike work about as effectively as the rule of law on the White House.

The big problem is it lives outside so any potential budget MTB like a Vitus Dee would face the same problem.

Ps: at 6'3 (although I thought I was 6'2 until this year) is there any hope I'd get away with a 19" Vitus Dee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The 19" seems to be gone now.
    In any case, I think you'd probably be an inch or two too tall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you want to venture down the route of a single speed build I have a steel frame and forks and seat post here that is for the taller lad. If say you'd be right at 6'3 no charge. It's been stripped and sprayed so paint isn't to ugly and easily changed to suit personality ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Would the frame take disc brakes at the rear? Just a thought but could you get a cheap disc brake and drop in the rear wheel from your CDF when you wanted to use wolfie. You'd need to check dimensions and compatibility of skewer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you want to venture down the route of a single speed build I have a steel frame and forks and seat post here that is for the taller lad. If say you'd be right at 6'3 no charge. It's been stripped and sprayed so paint isn't to ugly and easily changed to suit personality ;)

Tell me more...I'm about to be up a set of spyres.

@Smacl: Wolfy is a 26" and the axle spacing is all wrong.

Advertisement