Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa present for newborn / 1 year old? Do / did you bother?

Options
  • 09-12-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

The first Christmas is obviously such a special time.
    But do many people go out of their way to buy a 'special' Santa gift for their smaller little ones?

For us, we got him something he kind of needed anyway - it wasn't something that was exactly a random purchase he'd never get.
    We wont wrap it up, and it wont be for Christmas day (he's using it now!) but if anyone asks we'll just say 'Santa got it'... or maybe in a few years we can always say the same.

Or maybe is it more important if you've other smaller kids in the house, and you need them to see Santa is getting something for the newest addition?

I guess when he's 2, he'll be a lot more aware, and we'll definitely ensure Santa gives him something then ;)

Did Santa come for your newborn / 1 year old? 28 votes

No - it's a bit too early.
    0% 0 votes
    Kind of. It was something their needed anyway. Didn't really matter if Christmas day
    64% 18 votes
    Of course he did! They got a proper present on Christmas morning!
    35% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Santa comes to all children

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

bren2002 wrote: »
    Santa comes to all children

I knew I'd feel bad posting this! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

We did Santa for our 10 month old last year but didn’t get much and mainly things that he’d grow into during the year. And loads of books!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We did santa for ours when they were babies. The first was 8 months. He didn't get much and it was things that he needed anyways. Our second was four months and the same applied, it was also important for our then three year old to see that santa came to his baby brother too. I would not spend much at that age but I love Christmas and think that santa is a bit magical!! My kids obviously didn't have a clue but we as parents definitely got a great buzz out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Are you serious? Santa definitely came to our little boy last year when he was seven months! Even more excited this year as now 18mths so is more aware. You don't have to spend loads but I was so excited helping him tear off all the wrapping paper for his presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I get what you mean. My eldest is 4 and really this is the first year she is actually aware of what it’s all about!
    My youngest is 18 months, last Christmas she got practical little bits and pieces, mainly books, she had something to open but really she hadn’t a clue what was going on and still won’t this year even though she’ll thoroughly enjoy the energy and excitement. This year we’re getting her a little farm set, she’s animal mad. Not in any way going mad!

To echo what a pp said a lot of it is for our older girls benefit! She’s as excited for her sister as she is herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Era, not really, unless there are older siblings. They are sort of oblivious.
    Santa is really for parents, let’s be honest here.

Think we put something in a stocking, as in... daddies sock. A ball, a rubber ducky, stuff like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Our first (4 weeks old), has told me specifically that he wants a new 55 inch TV and a PS4 from santa. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

My daughter is 10 months and we've gotten her a walker she can push around as her Santa present. We're not going crazy this year cos she's clueless but she's getting clothes and toys from aunts and grandparents as well.
    Her cousin is 21 months and she doesn't have a clue either so her parents are only getting something small and useful to mark the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Our daughter was one only a couple of weeks ago so she pretty much has a steady stream of gifts going her way this past month :eek: We did pick her up a cute book and an activity center thing will all sorts of buttons, lights, noises, etc. :D She won't care what day it is but we're looking forward to the whole presents on Christmas morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My son was three months last Christmas. He got a coat and a few little bits. He'll probably get another coat this year.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My little guy was just gone 3 months for his first Christmas - Santa got him an outfit or two, and then one of those play gym things where they lie on a mat and can kick a piano. Oh and then there was a couple of teethers and soothers in his stocking. There was a mirror hanging on the arch thing over it, so he was made up with it. It was trying to rein in the relatives that was the problem - first grandchild on my side and he was spoiled rotten :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have for both of mine, I think it is especially important for the second that the older child sees Santa comes for baby too. But to be honest it was all stuff I was going to get at some point anyway but got deals on for Christmas and wrapped up for photos.

We also celebrate St Nicholas's Day so had stockings for them, even if it was on of my fuzzy socks with a few Christmas stickers for my 4 mo old as I just ordered hers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I took photo of Moses basket on Christmas Day with baby in it and a lovely toy (which he had got at birth) - Santa is for parents until eldest is about 4! I did - stupidly - do a Santa visit with him age 6 weeks - but purely to have the photo! How stupid - in retrospect! I wasn't thinking right...

Have no recollection of what we did for 2nd child's 1st Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Our little girl was 4 months for her first Christmas. She got a big brown teddy and a few other bits and pieces. We also brought her to see santy in the local pet farm, purely for the photo op. Will be bringing her again this year as she loves animals and they have a brilliant set up that she'll love! Not sure how she'll react towards santy though, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My eldest was about 6 weeks for his first Christmas. Santa brought him a couple of things he needed, and a couple of toys to grow into as well. He had santa age cousins at the time, so we didn’t want them smelling a rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

One of the reasons I did Santa at three months old was to show him in future that santa did come and to make sure the first Christmas photos followed the right narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Santa will be coming to our baby he will be 4 months on st Stephens day. We also have a 3 nearly 4 year old. I thought he might bring Sophie the giraffe to the baby but then I saw horrible stories online about mould growth :(
    Santa needs to get his thinking hat on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Toots wrote: »
    My little guy was just gone 3 months for his first Christmas - Santa got him an outfit or two, and then one of those play gym things where they lie on a mat and can kick a piano. Oh and then there was a couple of teethers and soothers in his stocking. There was a mirror hanging on the arch thing over it, so he was made up with it. It was trying to rein in the relatives that was the problem - first grandchild on my side and he was spoiled rotten :D

This was our daughters exact first Christmas - down to the fisher price playmat with piano kicker:D. She was almost 4 months old. And the grandparents went mad and bought her loads too. Last year she got outfits from grandparents and that "lost my name" book, and Santa brought loads. This year she'll hopefully just get a token small gift from grandparents and Santa is again bringing plenty. This is the first year she has an inkling that "Santy" is bringing toys to all the children and went to see him but was too shy to say what she would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Santa came last year and my LO was only three weeks old :D
    To be fair, he didn't go all out, she just got a big play mat for the floor and a couple of clothes. This year Santa will do a bit better but nothing too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We'll probably have to do Santa either before or after Christmas - my 21 month old's main present is a balance bike this year and we are flying back to Ireland for Christmas,

We got the ferry back last year and Santa did arrive with plenty of toys and books when he was 9 months old.

Advertisement