Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lozanders

Really?? Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

no that is not correct. shift work is based on all your hours combined. its based on working outside of ordinary hours and 12 hour shifts are outside of ordinary hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 8943

Cedric87 wrote: »
    no that is not correct. shift work is based on all your hours combined.

God I sure hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Well a gard I was talking to who worked the control room said that's how his shift allowance is calculated and that working 4 nights instead of 4 days was better money wise. I thought that all hours were under shift allowance but he said it didn't work that way.

Maybe he's wrong. Maybe I picked him up wrong. I would hope he's wrong haha

yeah its incorrect, shift pay is for working unsociable hours i work as a civil servant and it would be the same as my shift pattern in my current role and each shift is covered by shift allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Smurphy51

I know it’s 4x12 hour shifts on and 4 days off but Would anyone on here know the shift start and finish times? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

For anyone who’s going for Galway, I was chatting to a friend yesterday whose friend is being transferred to admin in garda headquarters when it opens. She has been told that will be in September. So it could be a long wait for us!!! Hopefully if we get in, training may start in August then!!

Smurphy51 wrote: »
    I know it’s 4x12 hour shifts on and 4 days off but Would anyone on here know the shift start and finish times? Thanks

I’ve heard 7am to 7pm a few times , not guaranteed tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

6x10 hours with four days off . The shifts starts on two mornings 8am-6pm next two are two evenings 2pm-12 and last two are nights 10pm-8am

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Rosslyn51

Article on breaking news says the process is at an advanced stage

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/calls-for-999-lines-to-be-staffed-by-civilians-843997.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 annatuk29

6x10 hours with four days off . The shifts starts on two mornings 8am-6pm next two are two evenings 2pm-12 and last two are nights 10pm-8am

The initial recruitment ad said 4x12 hour shifts then off for 4 days
    Didnt give any details on start finish times though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

As far as I know that’s the hours for Castlebar only

• Registered Users Posts: 37 annatuk29

Elmworld5 wrote: »

Yes thats right.. everywhere else is 4x12

Elmworld5 wrote: »

There not bad hours

Hopefully it will be august i dont think i could afford to do it any sooner. if you work 12 hour shifts you get shift allowance id say the confusion came from the hours they work in castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be august i dont think i could afford to do it any sooner. if you work 12 hour shifts you get shift allowance id say the confusion came from the hours they work in castlebar.

So are you saying the 10 hours shifts in Castlebar dont apply for a shift allowence on your overall hours? Just the 12 hours ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Casper107

sonas93 wrote: »
    So are you saying the 10 hours shifts in Castlebar dont apply for a shift allowence on your overall hours? Just the 12 hours ones.

I checked with someone who works in GISC, they get the shift allowance as well for the unsocial hours.

It's a shame this wasn't made clearer in the beginning.

Casper107 wrote: »
    I checked with someone who works in GISC, they get the shift allowance as well for the unsocial hours.

I agree , lack of info is a killer

plenty of unanswered questions that i will need addressing before accepting. does anybody know if you end on a night shift does the day you came off nights count as your first day off ? in my current job it doesnt but i know some jobs count it as the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Casper107 wrote: »

Sorry again but do you mean they only get shift allowenece in castlebar for unsociable hours as in 7pm to 7am as someone mentioned. Other areas get it for the full 12 hours of each shift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Sorry again but do you mean they only get shift allowenece in castlebar for unsociable hours as in 7pm to 7am as someone mentioned. Other areas get it for the full 12 hours of each shift.

No you get shift allowance in ur wages every week - my friend works there - I asked him

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Casper107

My understanding is that we all get it for the unsocial hours worked. It probably evens out liver the year as we will all work rattles earlies, lates and nights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As someone who works in GISC in Castlebar, I can confirm shift allowance is paid weekly upon completion of training.
    First 4 weeks are paid at standard CO level as you essentially do 9-5 for those weeks.

In respect of shifts, the Core roster of which there are 5 teams are rostered for 6 x 10 hr shifts.

There are other teams that do the 4 x 12 in Castlebar too.
    Also weekend (part time) and normal day shifts are available too, but I'm not certain on the shifts advertised for this particular campaign.

As for the days off, the morning you finish your first shift does in fact count as one of your 4 rostered off. So for example you finish on a Tuesday morning at 8am, you're back to work for 8am Saturday morning.

If you work a Sunday or a bank holiday you get paid extra for that on top of your shift allowance.

Bank Holidays are seperate then to AL, in that you can take them whenever you like but only 8 hrs per Bank Holiday are applied (I tend to use mine if I need a Sunday off save using 2 from another BH for example)

Thank you for that detailed reply, it clears up al of my questions. A friend who currently works in Dublin mentioned that they may move to the pheonix park. Looking forward to some progression in the coming weeks

Is it weekly pay or fortnightly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cedric87 wrote:
    Is it weekly pay or fortnightly?

Weekly, in Castlebar anyways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Rosslyn51

Does anyone know anything about holidays? I have a family wedding abroad the last week in august, really worried about getting it off if the role starts before then

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gra08

Rosslyn51 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about holidays? I have a family wedding abroad the last week in august, really worried about getting it off if the role starts before then

I also have a holiday booked for the end of August. So fingers crossed it won’t start before then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VforVictor

Speculating here about Galway:
    The building won't be ready until September. They won't bring people in for training in August because it's peak holiday season. So we all need to forget about it for THREE MONTHS!
    Hope I''m wrong but that's the way I see it based on the info on this thread...

• Advertisement

most employers allow for booked holidays doubt it would be an issue

Advertisement