Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

VforVictor wrote: »
    Speculating here about Galway:
    The building won't be ready until September. They won't bring people in for training in August because it's peak holiday season. So we all need to forget about it for THREE MONTHS!
    Hope I''m wrong but that's the way I see it based on the info on this thread...

September.. Great time of year to look for accommodation in Galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kong9190

Hi guys, I work in another section of the ES call takers and will also be transferring across. Here is the info I have on DMR.
    Over a two week period you will work 8 x 12 hours shift (paid for 75 hours) this includes some weekends, bank holidays and nights. This is rotated between all fairly.

At the moment the job is based in Harcourt square bit the lease is up soon and the landlords are keen for AGS to move. Two short term leases are being looked at, Eastpoint Business park in Dublin 3 and the Phoenix pk.
    The long term proposal is to build a new facility for big €€€ beside the royal hospital kilmainham, the OPW already own property there.

I asked about the holidays as I also am booked at the end of August, I was told there will be no issue. I got insurance just in case, but I was told not to worry.

Any other questions about Dublin, if I know I'll pass on the info.

BTW, the lack of info from PAS is killing me too😡

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EvianGirl

Seriously the lack of information and being kept in the dark is killing me! I was genuinely convinced that it would be sooner rather than later and even went as far to NOT book a holiday for fear of being called during that time etc and having to cancel. Not so much as a snippet of info from PAS re an estimated starting date, I even went as far to try ringing Garda HR to try get some info, where as I was re-directed to PAS and also to keep an eye on BOARDS.ie 😂😂😂 if we were given a starting date at least I could plan around it and know where I stand as I'm sooo looking forward to getting out of my current employment I actually can not WAIT to start

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Casper107

Had a call the other day regarding security checks. They needed a copy of my passport even though I had enough points with the docs that I brought to the interview.

I asked what was next, was told that it will be the hearing test. I enquired whether it would be in Dublin. Was told that no final decision had been made but it was likely that it would be outsourced !!

That's all I have to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 8943

EvianGirl wrote: »
    Seriously the lack of information and being kept in the dark is killing me! I was genuinely convinced that it would be sooner rather than later and even went as far to NOT book a holiday for fear of being called during that time etc and having to cancel. Not so much as a snippet of info from PAS re an estimated starting date, I even went as far to try ringing Garda HR to try get some info, where as I was re-directed to PAS and also to keep an eye on BOARDS.ie 😂😂😂 if we were given a starting date at least I could plan around it and know where I stand as I'm sooo looking forward to getting out of my current employment I actually can not WAIT to start
    I am the exact same as yourself .I have 3 smallies waiting on a holiday but I’m afraid too book one at this stage .Everything is on hold at the moment .

• Advertisement

Anyone heard anything? I got an acknowledgement that they received a certified copy of my passport but that's it.

I had been previously told that we should hear by the end of the month with regards to what happens next.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

Casper107 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything? I got an acknowledgement that they received a certified copy of my passport but that's it.

I had been previously told that we should hear by the end of the month with regards to what happens next.

Thanks in advance.

No, nothing... and it's a painful wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Rosslyn51

DeanoG14 wrote: »
    No, nothing... and it's a painful wait!

The lack of information is killing me I'm completely miserable in my current job but hard to tell if theres any point looking for something else in the interim..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMacAB

Is anyone else worried about shift work? I have a very predictable week at present and 3 kids. On the one hand it will be a welcome change from the current routine which is the same every day/week.... but I can't help worrying that it will be disruptive not to mention adjusting to new sleeping patterns. I've done shift work before but it was before I had kids... Has anyone any experiences to share? Other than that I'm thinking Bring It On! Change needed Big Time!

SeanMacAB wrote: »
    Is anyone else worried about shift work? I have a very predictable week at present and 3 kids. On the one hand it will be a welcome change from the current routine which is the same every day/week.... but I can't help worrying that it will be disruptive not to mention adjusting to new sleeping patterns. I've done shift work before but it was before I had kids... Has anyone any experiences to share? Other than that I'm thinking Bring It On! Change needed Big Time!

Well once you start the job you will know pretty much all the weeks/days of the week in advance that you're working and the annual leave is 33/34 days?(correct me if I'm wrong) something around that. Which is 10 more days than I'm used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Training for Dublin begins in September that's from an internal source. This is due to summer leave and staff numbers over the summer.
    Shift work is difficult to get used to, I work a really bad shift pattern and this will be a big improvement for me. Shift work is tough but the days off are great.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Training for Dublin begins in September that's from an internal source. This is due to summer leave and staff numbers over the summer.
    Shift work is difficult to get used to, I work a really bad shift pattern and this will be a big improvement for me. Shift work is tough but the days off are great.

Thanks for that.

Yeah the only real downside is getting rostered to work the Christmas. Not everyone gets to use annual leave to take off for the Christmas either I heard. So people with a family would more than likely get it off than some childless/single schmuck like me. Oh well. :D

I'm looking forward to the change. I have a 1 year old at home. The 4 days on will be difficult but the nights should work out ok. Home in time to drop him to school (when the time comes), sleep until he comes home. Plus, once you've taken your annual leave you'll only be working approx 160 days a year (that's assuming you're not in for Castlebar).
    Well once you start the job you will know pretty much all the weeks/days of the week in advance that you're working and the annual leave is 33/34 days?(correct me if I'm wrong) something around that. Which is 10 more days than I'm used to.

I thought A/L started off at 22 days a year, but I guess once you get your time in lieu of bank holidays it could be pushing 30 days.

I thought A/L started off at 22 days a year, but I guess once you get your time in lieu of bank holidays it could be pushing 30 days.

I can't remember the exact days. For whatever reason 34 stuck out in my mind. Friend of the families son works in Dublin control room and said it was 30 something anyway. Don't want to state it as gospel though as I'm really not sure. Maybe some of the recent posters that are working there can confirm?

Asked a gard there and they get 34 days. Maybe that's how I got the number in my head. Could be different for us but probably not too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMacAB

I calculated that 4 days on four days off will mean working 150 days of the year when you minus Annual Leave and Bank Holidays. A Monday to Friday worker with 20 days AL will work 231 days of the year. That's 81 days of not having to go to work when you compare. Think it will be worth it. Except when there's a Red Weather Warning of course!

I calculated that 4 days on four days off will mean working 150 days of the year when you minus Annual Leave and Bank Holidays. A Monday to Friday worker with 20 days AL will work 231 days of the year. That's 81 days of not having to go to work when you compare. Think it will be worth it. Except when there's a Red Weather Warning of course!

Yeah, I didn't take into account the bank holidays. I did see that the day "off" after your last night shift is considered one of your 4 off which might mean a recalculation.

Edit: if that's the case we would work 190 days less A/L and bank holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

Yeah, I didn't take into account the bank holidays. I did see that the day "off" after your last night shift is considered one of your 4 off which might mean a recalculation.

Edit: if that's the case we would work 190 days less A/L and bank holidays.

Gisc castlebar work 217 days a year minus 5 sundays which you have to take off. AL is 22days, after 5yrs 23 days and 10 yrs 24 days. Then 80 hrs for bank holidays.

Last morning you finish is your first rest day.

Hope this helps.

That is around 30 days of normal 8 hour shifts.
    When you work the 12 hour shifts, it's about 23 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Message today but alas GDPR notification...

gelsthe wrote: »
    Message today but alas GDPR notification...

I know, that got me too😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

I'm late to tuning into this thread, but I just have a quick question. I am 51 on the OOM for Dublin. I haven't heard anything since we got our interview results at the start of the month. Does anybody know whether I stand a chance at place 51 of being called? I have no idea as to whether to hold out any hope with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

ravingitup wrote:
    I'm late to tuning into this thread, but I just have a quick question. I am 51 on the OOM for Dublin. I haven't heard anything since we got our interview results at the start of the month. Does anybody know whether I stand a chance at place 51 of being called? I have no idea as to whether to hold out any hope with this.

When I called them she said 54 were being called forward with 44 positions, I'm assuming like any competition that's to allow for fall off of interest and the fact that this has been going on 6 months now.. hard to believe.
    My opinion is you have a good chance of being called tbh ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

ravingitup wrote: »

Was Dublin the only location you chose? The only people who have heard yet are those who had 2 location choices and had to say which they were going with. I’m in top 10 for Galway which was my only location choice and have heard nothing since interview either so don’t completely lose hope yet

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GNorton5

Very nervous about the shift work, never done shift work before and with children in school I'm hoping I can work around it.
    When you break down the money it isn't great...but trying to think down the line of the positives and excited about a change!

GNorton5 wrote: »
    Very nervous about the shift work, never done shift work before and with children in school I'm hoping I can work around it.
    When you break down the money it isn't great...but trying to think down the line of the positives and excited about a change!

It has its pros and cons. There is nothing better than having days off midweek to get stuff done. The 12 shifts are long but you get used to them really fast, the idea of having to go to work for 5 days a week is painful for me, I'd hate it. The money isn't great but it is a Civil service job and two years will go pretty fast, then you could apply for a transfer to a normal 9-5 department....

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Elmworld5 wrote: »
    Was Dublin the only location you chose? The only people who have heard yet are those who had 2 location choices and had to say which they were going with. I’m in top 10 for Galway which was my only location choice and have heard nothing since interview either so don’t completely lose hope yet

Yes Dublin was the only location I chose. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. Well done on scoring so high by the way. Hopefully we hear something sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Rang PAS today and they told me that they are in clearance stage but that because it’s civilian Garda it’s more stringent and could take up to 3 months to do plus I was told that we might have to get our own hearing test done in spec savers or with GP and then send on the report to whomever it may be!
    I was told if I had holidays booked this month or next month there wouldn’t be any hassle in taking them - he didn’t think I’d be missing anything

skearnsot wrote: »
    Rang PAS today and they told me that they are in clearance stage but that because it’s civilian Garda it’s more stringent and could take up to 3 months to do plus I was told that we might have to get our own hearing test done in spec savers or with GP and then send on the report to whomever it may be!
    I was told if I had holidays booked this month or next month there wouldn’t be any hassle in taking them - he didn’t think I’d be missing anything

Does anyone know what 'clearance' involves? Will we be required to supply any additional details etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

im surprised that the we didnt have to fill out any family history for the vetting. when i joined the garda reserve the vetting process was a lot more based on my family

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Casper107 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what 'clearance' involves? Will we be required to supply any additional details etc?

Well it’s garda vetting but more detailed - they do appearantly go into family members also

Advertisement