Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

You fill out every place of residence you've had and they do a background check on you basically. Checking to see if you have had any previous convictions. Someone else can probably explain it in more detail than I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PhilEllis

Well done everyone who got the nod.
    IMO, its nice to have the 12 weeks (I got Dublin) to figure this whole thing out.

I am in a very well paid job atm in the private sector. My decision to move is based on security, a pensionable job and something with meaning. This probably sounds idealist to some people but thats where my head is at. I cant however get my head around the shift allowance. What is the potential to take home with this 25% figure they speak of.

Also, does anyone have any idea how a 12hr shift plays out? How long are breaks, lunch etc. If one factors in commute time, sleeping and 12hrs of work, it seems like a 4 day shift could mean 4 days of no life. Having got the offer I am just running through all the variables and trying to make sense of it all. Thanks in advance and well done again to you all.

PhilEllis wrote: »

Also, does anyone have any idea how a 12hr shift plays out?

Plenty of breaks. You get time off to clear your head if you get a tough call and there's a gym there and all to de-stress. A guy I know in Dublin control said you're only really working around 8 hours of the 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

PhilEllis wrote: »
    Well done everyone who got the nod.
    IMO, its nice to have the 12 weeks (I got Dublin) to figure this whole thing out.

I am in a very well paid job atm in the private sector. My decision to move is based on security, a pensionable job and something with meaning. This probably sounds idealist to some people but thats where my head is at. I cant however get my head around the shift allowance. What is the potential to take home with this 25% figure they speak of.

Also, does anyone have any idea how a 12hr shift plays out? How long are breaks, lunch etc. If one factors in commute time, sleeping and 12hrs of work, it seems like a 4 day shift could mean 4 days of no life. Having got the offer I am just running through all the variables and trying to make sense of it all. Thanks in advance and well done again to you all.

Weekly Pay scale below (Goes up yearly):

€438.46 €467.14 €474.44 €488.65 €509.63 €530.56 €551.50 €572.42 €592.79 €613.16 €627.50 €647.66 €667.70 €698.95 MAX €723.52 LSI1 €734.79 LSI2

Pay scale + 25% shift allowance:

€548.08 €583.93 €593.05 €610.81 €637 €663.20 €689.38 €715.53 €740.53 €766.45 €784.38 €809.58 €834.63 €873.69 MAX
    €904.40 LSI1 €918.49 LSI2

I'm open to being corrected but I've taken the pay scale on the information booklet and added 25%, there'll also be Sunday bonuses and bank holiday bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EvianGirl

Could anybody she'd some light on this please? Being already in the civil service a long time and transferring over, would anyone know in terms of current annual leave allowances, if that would carry over as it stands still the mo, or if a fresh annual leave allowance would apply? ie would I need to use up what I have now in advance of crossing over so as not going the loss of days? Hope I'm making sense? I know you carry across your service, pension paid to date, and pay scales etc but as for a/l im lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Hi all, well done!

Is the email an offer subject to vetting? Are we getting the job as long as the vetting checks out?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 annatuk29

facade wrote: »
    Hi all, well done!

Is the email an offer subject to vetting? Are we getting the job as long as the vetting checks out?

Thanks!

Yes I think that’s it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

facade wrote: »
    Hi all, well done!

Thanks!

It's not an offer, but yeah, an offer will come assuming you pass clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

EvianGirl wrote: »
    Could anybody she'd some light on this please? Being already in the civil service a long time and transferring over, would anyone know in terms of current annual leave allowances, if that would carry over as it stands still the mo, or if a fresh annual leave allowance would apply? ie would I need to use up what I have now in advance of crossing over so as not going the loss of days? Hope I'm making sense? I know you carry across your service, pension paid to date, and pay scales etc but as for a/l im lost

To the best of my knowledge and endless research on this very subject - you MUST carry EVERYTHING you already have including pension etc across to ur new position - you CANNOT be offered anything less than what you have now

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

hopefully my annual leave stays were it is i owe 2 days and we are not even in july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 GNorton5

You fill out every place of residence you've had and they do a background check on you basically. Checking to see if you have had any previous convictions. Someone else can probably explain it in more detail than I can.

Thank you ðŸ‘🼠Do they go through family members too I wonder?

GNorton5 wrote: »
    Thank you ðŸ‘🼠Do they go through family members too I wonder?

I doubt they would for civilians. Never heard of it only for the gardai themselves.

I hope we don't because I've had to do up a word document for a gard where he had to go through his family tree and it was going back as far as 2nd and 3rd cousin's and you need addresses and everything haha

anybody having difficulty with the e-vetting form sent today??? keeps telling me that my id is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dublinguy2014

havent gotten an email from them yet, not in junk either

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Me neither, phew, at least I'm not the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

facade wrote:
    Me neither, phew, at least I'm not the only one

What number are yas

• Registered Users Posts: 36 A91

I haven't received the vetting form yet

8 in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

facade wrote:
    Me neither, phew, at least I'm not the only one

Same here ... Started to stress there... 😦

gelsthe wrote: »

Crickey wonder was it sent to me in error???

• Advertisement

skearnsot wrote: »
    Crickey wonder was it sent to me in error???

I’m in the top 5 in Mayo

has anyone in dublin got the email yet? maybe theyre sending them out in batches??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

has anyone in dublin got the email yet? maybe theyre sending them out in batches??

They might be using a small test sample to make sure everything is working as it should.

No point stressing or speculating on it. We'll all get it at some point

skearnsot wrote:
    I’m in the top 5 in Mayo

Are you sure it was for Dublin and not Mayo

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Are you sure it was for Dublin and not Mayo

???? Sorry Mcmuffin, I don’t understand what ur trying to say I’m in the top 5 for Mayo and I got the evetting email this morning but it’s not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PhilEllis

gelsthe wrote: »

No email here either

skearnsot wrote:
    ???? Sorry Mcmuffin, I don’t understand what ur trying to say I’m in the top 5 for Mayo and I got the evetting email this morning but it’s not working.

My mistake. I thought you got email for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16 _HG_

No email for Waterford either.

• Advertisement

Iv emailed them about it anyways so when I hear back I shall let ye know

Advertisement