Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Oats2017

Yeah that’s true it did say that. Just disappointing after waiting for so long I suppose. Ah well

It's painful alright 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lozanders

I got a contact number on my confirmation of appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kar102

Anyone that got confirmation to say they have been assigned and AGS will be in contact, does anyone have any idea of when the start dates might be!! I had to let them contact my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

kar102 wrote: »
    Anyone that got confirmation to say they have been assigned and AGS will be in contact, does anyone have any idea of when the start dates might be!! I had to let them contact my employer.

No idea. A number was provided to contact in our assignment email . Maybe they can let you know of a timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Casper107

Oats2017 wrote: »
    But it doesn't mean the people in the top 5 aren't getting a job... someone in the top 5 in Galway could also be in the top 5 in GISC depending on preferences... some people could have failed the hearing test or pulled out due to the length of time it's taken.... there's loads of factors

I was top 5 in Galway and GISC - but I took GISC and have been assigned there. So the OOM will not be an accurate placing especially if you are lower down (high number) in your chosen area - if that makes sense.

I think a fair few have dropped out for one reason or another - which is why higher OOM's may be being selected already.

I suspect that they will keep a place for the low OOM (low numbered = well placed) until they clear vetting and references.

Just waiting now on a start date now myself, all hurdles cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 JWN

Hi,

Does anybody know if Health Insurance is provided with this position or is it up to us to provide our own? Thanks.

JWN wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know if Health Insurance is provided with this position or is it up to us to provide our own? Thanks.

I'd be surprised if it is, but there maybe a scheme for reduced cost cover...but that's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

JWN wrote: »
    Hi,

I would highly doubt it. I don't believe any CS positions offer health insurance as a oerk

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

Casper107 wrote: »
    I was top 5 in Galway and GISC - but I took GISC and have been assigned there. So the OOM will not be an accurate placing especially if you are lower down (high number) in your chosen area - if that makes sense.

I think a fair few have dropped out for one reason or another - which is why higher OOM's may be being selected already.

I suspect that they will keep a place for the low OOM (low numbered = well placed) until they clear vetting and references.

Just waiting now on a start date now myself, all hurdles cleared.

how long was your vetting in the end - the full 12 weeks? i am counting form the first day I got the email / form re vetting. i'm about week 9 now GISC Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Around 40 garda and garda staff personnel transferred to new Galway HQ last week as per HR bulletin. Good to see some movement finally :)

• Advertisement

how long was your vetting in the end - the full 12 weeks? i am counting form the first day I got the email / form re vetting. i'm about week 9 now GISC Castlebar

I cleared my vetting about a month ago if that helps. I thought it was quick considering I'm from the UK originally.....with others who I would have expected to be finished long before mine.

I did make a nuisance of myself chasing them which may have helped.

Start dates being given out for GISC - mid November.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

Oh that’s great. Wonder will Galway be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 36 A91

Brilliant. Hope the rest of areas will be soon too. What about training?

A91 wrote: »
    Brilliant. Hope the rest of areas will be soon too. What about training?

That's the start of the training - 1 months worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Princess73

That's the start of the training - 1 months worth

Where is the training

Princess73 wrote: »
    Where is the training

I'm for GISC - so my training is in Castlebar and will probably all be PULSE. I'm assuming that everyone else will be CAD training.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Congrats Casper, yeah all the training is in house. You'll have 2 weeks in a classroom type environment, then 2 weeks out on the floor taking calls whilst supervised.

Hours typically 9 - 5 (4 on Fridays).

After week 3 you'll learn your assigned team and once week 4 is finished you'll join up with them (you get the weekend off and start on the Monday or the next day the roster runs).
    Glad there's some movement, could do with a few staff up there tbh!

Necrominus wrote: »
    Congrats Casper, yeah all the training is in house. You'll have 2 weeks in a classroom type environment, then 2 weeks out on the floor taking calls whilst supervised.

Hours typically 9 - 5 (4 on Fridays).

After week 3 you'll learn your assigned team and once week 4 is finished you'll join up with them (you get the weekend off and start on the Monday or the next day the roster runs).
    Glad there's some movement, could do with a few staff up there tbh!

Thanks Bud,

Not sure how many are in the first batch. Just want to get started and my feet under the desk before Christmas. Are you there at the moment?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Casper107 wrote:
    Not sure how many are in the first batch. Just want to get started and my feet under the desk before Christmas. Are you there at the moment?

Yeah been there since Sept 17 so well settled now. First couple of months fly as you get used to shifts and the call taking.
    Make sure if you have anything planned for Christmas to get your days booked when you start, I think the deadline for holidays around Christmas is about the time you start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 soupdragon01

Did they phone you or email ? Waiting on word myself

Did they phone you or email ? Waiting on word myself

Both got a phone call followed up by an email. Have you all you paperwork cleared including references?

Necrominus wrote: »
    Yeah been there since Sept 17 so well settled now. First couple of months fly as you get used to shifts and the call taking.
    Make sure if you have anything planned for Christmas to get your days booked when you start, I think the deadline for holidays around Christmas is about the time you start!

Do most want to work Christmas or are they looking for people to work it usually?

Thanks in advance

Do most want to work Christmas or are they looking for people to work it usually?

Thanks in advance

Depends. Those with families usually take it off if working, and work New Years. It's really roster dependant but assuming you'll be starting on core roster you'll likely be working either Christmas or New Years.

I wouldn't say they look for people to work it, Christmas and Stephen's Day are paid at bank holiday rates so it's definitely worth your while if you have nothing planned.

Both got a phone call followed up by an email. Have you all you paperwork cleared including references?

Ya everything done. Just getting a bit worried now the longer it's going on

Ya everything done. Just getting a bit worried now the longer it's going on

Where are you placed and have you phoned Garda HR?

Where are you placed and have you phoned Garda HR?

I was around the 20 mark, can't remember the exact number. Haven't contacted them, I've been emailing PAS

I was around the 20 mark, can't remember the exact number. Haven't contacted them, I've been emailing PAS

Sorry, I meant what area have you be assigned to...

Sorry, I meant what area have you be assigned to...

Sorry, Castlebar

• Advertisement

Sorry, Castlebar

I wouldn't worry, I am top 5 and I know someone ahead of me who is still waiting on the call/email.

Advertisement