Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 _HG_

Got assigned to Waterford today. So some sort of movement. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Casper107

Has anyone mentioned Galway at GISC?

Nope, not a word, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Myday

I recieved an email for my Garda vetting on Tuesday. This is the first contact i have recieved since passing my interview in April. I didnt recieve a call to ask which area i wanted either. Anyone else in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Laraghcon21

Myday wrote: »
    I recieved an email for my Garda vetting on Tuesday. This is the first contact i have recieved since passing my interview in April. I didnt recieve a call to ask which area i wanted either. Anyone else in the same boat.

That’s great news well done. Which area are you for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Myday

Galway and Castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 lilgit2

I got my email for vetting today..im for dublin.but the form has the wrong first name on it so have to wait for another.. ive had no contact since passing the interview either. Does anyone know are we all for harcourt street??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cov

I got a vetting email out of the blue today also. What does that mean? I have had zero contact from them since I got my placing on the panel. Folks who were vetted, did you get a place?

It's hard to know what to think or do. I have three different apprenticeship applications on the go, and am taking an aptitude test and interview for one of them next week. This job is the one I would take above all the others though. I would hate to turn down an opportunity at an apprenticeship also. GAH

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

Cov wrote: »
    I got a vetting email out of the blue today also. What does that mean? I have had zero contact from them since I got my placing on the panel. Folks who were vetted, did you get a place?

It's hard to know what to think or do. I have three different apprenticeship applications on the go, and am taking an aptitude test and interview for one of them next week. This job is the one I would take above all the others though. I would hate to turn down an opportunity at an apprenticeship also. GAH

I got a place in Galway after being vetted anyway, in saying that though it was weeks ago and I'm still waiting on a start date.
    I would say you've nothing to lose by sending back the Vetting anyway and then you may be clearer about making a decision if you get the job offer. Don't turn down your apprenticeships yet incase you don't get the call up for another few months

Elmworld5 wrote: »
    I got a place in Galway after being vetted anyway, in saying that though it was weeks ago and I'm still waiting on a start date.
    I would say you've nothing to lose by sending back the Vetting anyway and then you may be clearer about making a decision if you get the job offer. Don't turn down your apprenticeships yet incase you don't get the call up for another few months

Thanks for the reply! It's good to know that folks are actually getting offers. Congrats to you also!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

Thanks for the reply! It's good to know that folks are actually getting offers. Congrats to you also!

Thanks! Ya definately, it seems like it will be an ongoing thing pulling people off the panel and getting them vetted. Hoping for a start in January, it's been such a long wait!

• Advertisement

Elmworld5 wrote: »
    Thanks! Ya definately, it seems like it will be an ongoing thing pulling people off the panel and getting them vetted. Hoping for a start in January, it's been such a long wait!

Darn tootin, I applied for it in November 2016. Was shocked when I got the email for vetting this morning.

Update: So I am being vetted for Dublin, and I am next in line if a spot opens up in Waterford.

It seems like a lot of folks withdrew their applications, they may have gained employment elsewhere.

I assume now the next steps are Complete Vetting --> References --> Hearing test. Hopefully it doesn't take too long and they are hoping to get new recruits in by the new year. I'm up for two separate apprenticeships which I am just going to keep moving with just in case, but this job is far and away my first choice.

I was mid-table for both Dublin and Waterford, so if anyone is around the same, don't lose hope! (Also in my above post I said I applied in November 2016, which was silly of me, because it was 2017. It just felt like two years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

Did they tell you how long vetting could take ...13 weeks plus here waiting

Did they tell you how long vetting could take ...13 weeks plus here waiting

Yeah I have spoken to Garda Vetting, they told me it will take a very long time. Anything up to three months at least. I think it is because a) It's a Garda position so they have to be extra careful and b) I have lived in 13 different places in 16 years, some of them abroad.

If you are waiting 13 weeks I would imagine your vetting is nearly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

yes same as that. Must have had about 12 or 13 addresses listed, some abroad.

good luck

yes same as that. Must have had about 12 or 13 addresses listed, some abroad.

good luck

Cheers, you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SMC8

For all the Cork people who like me are losing the will to live with every day of radio silence, there is light at the end of the tunnel ;) I heard yesterday (unofficially of course) from someone working in Anglesea st that if we're not starting at the beginning of January, it won't be any later than mid January.

I assume that means we should be hearing some news on the official start date very soon!

Hey folks, could I just ask:

All the people who received a vetting form, and then took the hearing test, were you all offered a job? I get that the start dates have been all over the place, but at some point did someone contact you and tell you that you are confirmed for the position?

I am currently being vetted but still have zero idea what that means exactly. I dont have a record so I should pass, then theres the hearing test and as far as I know my hearing is fine.... so does that mean if I pass them that I have a position, or will it still be up in the air? I dont know what to do!

Hey folks, could I just ask:

All the people who received a vetting form, and then took the hearing test, were you all offered a job? I get that the start dates have been all over the place, but at some point did someone contact you and tell you that you are confirmed for the position?

I am currently being vetted but still have zero idea what that means exactly. I dont have a record so I should pass, then theres the hearing test and as far as I know my hearing is fine.... so does that mean if I pass them that I have a position, or will it still be up in the air? I dont know what to do!

Yes after hearing test and references were put in, I got a confirmation message from PAS that I have been assigned to a position. Just waiting on the start date now...

SMC8 wrote: »
    Yes after hearing test and references were put in, I got a confirmation message from PAS that I have been assigned to a position. Just waiting on the start date now...

Great, thanks! Congrats also!

Alright then as long as my ears dont explode I should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Just got start date for Galway January 14th

That’s great news for you especially before Xmas! Good on you!

Congrats!

Thanks guys. They seem to be flexible with when you start your training which is nice. If I can't make this start date they can move me in for the next batch of training whenever that is

Thanks guys. They seem to be flexible with when you start your training which is nice. If I can't make this start date they can move me in for the next batch of training whenever that is

Did they say how long training will take? Presume it’s in Galway? Wonder how many are in the first batch.

Did they say how long training will take? Presume it’s in Galway? Wonder how many are in the first batch.

"On commencement of employment and during the period of your initial training, which is expected to be 4 weeks, you will be required to attend from 9am to 5.45pm, Monday to Friday. Thereafter, you will be required to work a 24/7/365 shift pattern. Location of training is Galway City – details to follow"

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

I had to do this, unfortunately. The start date is too close to another important date.

Did anybody else put off their start date? How long were you waiting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's good, they were completely inflexible as regards the original interview times. Perhaps they have learned about how to treat potential employees.

DeanoG14 wrote: »
    I had to do this, unfortunately. The start date is too close to another important date.

Did anybody else put off their start date? How long were you waiting?

What did they follow up with when you said you couldn't do the start date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

What did they follow up with when you said you couldn't do the start date?

They were very understating of the circumstances and they'd get back to me as soon as they had the details on the next available training date. Probably looking at March/April at this stage I feel.

Advertisement