Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

I accepted it anyway . Was a tough decision since I wasn't really financially prepared for a move to Galway with the Christmas coming and all but accomodation and all sorted. I'm dreaming of a Tight Christmas lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JWN

Congrats on the Galway place, I got it too so will see you in training! Anyone else for Galway, if you happen to hear of a room to rent for 2 or 3 nights a week, please drop me a message, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Rparker17

Who sent ye the email guys? Was it HRM or the Control Room themselves? Waiting on an offer for Cork and hoping it starts around the same time.

Rparker17 wrote: »
    Who sent ye the email guys? Was it HRM or the Control Room themselves? Waiting on an offer for Cork and hoping it starts around the same time.

It came from Garda HR

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cov

This is definitely the most stressed I have ever been with a new job / potential (?) new job.

I'm being vetted for Dublin right now, which was my second choice, but have been told I'm next in line for Waterford which was my first. I assume I will pass vetting, however long that will take, then there is the hearing test and references which shouldn't be a problem but is yet more time and makes the whole thing seem still up in the air.

In the meantime I am in the running for two separate apprenticeships which are my second choice of employment, so I am trying to delay interviews with employers for those so I still have the option just in case anything goes wrong with this. I also don't want to take an apprenticeship someone else could be benefiting from just to leave after a few weeks.

If its Dublin, I need to find accommodation nearby and I do not understand how anyone can afford to live anywhere near Dublin without being on a six figure salary. I have friends who have mortgages that are nearly half what is being asked for rent for an awful one bed dive. It's an impossible task. Waterford would be a lot better as it's at least somewhat affordable but I have no idea if I will be assigned there.

I'll need to save up at least a few grand for rent and deposit if I have to move near Dublin, but finding any kind of temporary work is proving to be a nightmare. With the delay in finding out I was being vetted (A year and a month after I applied) I had my sights set on an apprenticeship which would have started just after Christmas. Now I have at least three months to fill and if I don't find some temporary work I will have to figure out how the hell I am going to save up enough for a deposit.

I am massively grateful for this career opportunity, but I really wish the process was handled better and with an eye to giving applicants some kind of stable view of their prospects. I'm just venting really, I am excited to start this job, but usually some stress comes with actually starting a new job, not the build up to it. At least not at this level. I know that once I start I will be rockin and a rollin and all this will be a thing of the past, but yikes it sure is a long, stressful wait.

Rant over.

• Advertisement

Cov wrote: »
    This is definitely the most stressed I have ever been with a new job / potential (?) new job.

I'm being vetted for Dublin right now, which was my second choice, but have been told I'm next in line for Waterford which was my first. I assume I will pass vetting, however long that will take, then there is the hearing test and references which shouldn't be a problem but is yet more time and makes the whole thing seem still up in the air.

In the meantime I am in the running for two separate apprenticeships which are my second choice of employment, so I am trying to delay interviews with employers for those so I still have the option just in case anything goes wrong with this. I also don't want to take an apprenticeship someone else could be benefiting from just to leave after a few weeks.

If its Dublin, I need to find accommodation nearby and I do not understand how anyone can afford to live anywhere near Dublin without being on a six figure salary. I have friends who have mortgages that are nearly half what is being asked for rent for an awful one bed dive. It's an impossible task. Waterford would be a lot better as it's at least somewhat affordable but I have no idea if I will be assigned there.

I'll need to save up at least a few grand for rent and deposit if I have to move near Dublin, but finding any kind of temporary work is proving to be a nightmare. With the delay in finding out I was being vetted (A year and a month after I applied) I had my sights set on an apprenticeship which would have started just after Christmas. Now I have at least three months to fill and if I don't find some temporary work I will have to figure out how the hell I am going to save up enough for a deposit.

I am massively grateful for this career opportunity, but I really wish the process was handled better and with an eye to giving applicants some kind of stable view of their prospects. I'm just venting really, I am excited to start this job, but usually some stress comes with actually starting a new job, not the build up to it. At least not at this level. I know that once I start I will be rockin and a rollin and all this will be a thing of the past, but yikes it sure is a long, stressful wait.

Rant over.

There was a point in the campaign where we put down our preference, I assume you told them Waterford since you're first in line for that. You'll be assigned there after vetting. I wouldn't worry about Dublin.

It definitely could have been handled better that's for sure and the waiting around in uncertainty isn't nice but will be worth it in the end with all the allowances and Sunday Allowances, Public Holidays etc. Hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

There was a point in the campaign where we put down our preference, I assume you told them Waterford since you're first in line for that. You'll be assigned there after vetting. I wouldn't worry about Dublin.

It definitely could have been handled better that's for sure and the waiting around in uncertainty isn't nice but will be worth it in the end with all the allowances and Sunday Allowances, Public Holidays etc. Hang in there!

how long was your vetting in the end. I am dying here waiting for vetting

how long was your vetting in the end. I am dying here waiting for vetting

10-11 weeks for the vetting I think. Got an email afterwards saying I was assigned on the 17th October and start date given on the 10th December.

Yeah you are right, and I know once I get started it will be grand, but the next few months are going to be an absolute mess of scrambling to get **** together.

I sent an email in to ask them that if the place opens up in Waterford could they please notify me ASAP so I can plan for it.

Man you would think that not having a criminal record would make vetting a fairly speedy process but that does not seem to be the case at all. I also lived abroad for a few years so that probably complicates things.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Laraghcon21

The delay seems to be living abroad and the special vetting...whatever that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Elmworld5

JWN wrote: »
    Congrats on the Galway place, I got it too so will see you in training! Anyone else for Galway, if you happen to hear of a room to rent for 2 or 3 nights a week, please drop me a message, thanks.

I got it too, hope its worth the wait! The Galway Advertiser paper will probably be your best bet. Sorry if you knew that already, not sure of your familiarity with Galway!

Elmworld5 wrote: »
    I got it too, hope its worth the wait! The Galway Advertiser paper will probably be your best bet. Sorry if you knew that already, not sure of your familiarity with Galway!

Thanks, yes living in Co. Galway but don't drive so need a place in the city for the early starts. Hopefully I'll have some luck.

What are the shifts in Galway, is it 4 days on and 4 off?

My vetting only took 13 days to get to disclosure viewed, seems to be moving along pretty fast. It's been sent to Garda HR

• Registered Users Posts: 16 _HG_

My vetting only took 13 days to get to disclosure viewed, seems to be moving along pretty fast. It's been sent to Garda HR

Mine disclosed in about 2 weeks aswell in July and I thought that was that. Didn't end up hearing anything until last month! Unfortunately discloser doesn't mean much.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

What are the shifts in Galway, is it 4 days on and 4 off?

Someone said a while back that it's two day shifts (7am - 7pm) and then two night shifts (7pm - 7am), followed by four days off with your first day off being the day you come off your last night shift.

Anybody figure out what the Sunday/bank holiday bonuses are?

Sorry yeah I did see that but seas wondering if that had been confirmed when people were give a start date.

Is the pay frequency weekly or monthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Casper107

Is the pay frequency weekly or monthly?

Paid weekly....

Casper107 wrote: »
    Paid weekly....

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah I did see that but seas wondering if that had been confirmed when people were give a start date.

No nothing confirmed about shifts, 9-5:45 Mon-Fri for training for first month

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SMC8

I just rang HR to see if there would likely be any news on a Cork start date this week and the answer was that it would be highly unlikely...

So I took from that we probably won't be getting our start date until January now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Rparker17

SMC8 wrote: »
    I just rang HR to see if there would likely be any news on a Cork start date this week and the answer was that it would be highly unlikely...

So I took from that we probably won't be getting our start date until January now.

Disaster! Was hoping to get a date soon and start in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SMC8

Rparker17 wrote: »
    Disaster! Was hoping to get a date soon and start in Jan

I know I had high hopes for a date this week, limbo continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

Got assigned last week & given start date this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 36 A91

Got assigned last week & given start date this morning

Which area?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

A91 wrote: »
    Which area?

Dublin

I've put my apprenticeship applications on hold while I wait this out... Jesus I hope I get Waterford... Apparently I am next on the list for there. After spending a few weeks looking at Daft I think I will be refusing Dublin and holding out for Waterford. Finding anywhere to live near Dublin that is remotely affordable is a nightmare.

I've put my apprenticeship applications on hold while I wait this out... Jesus I hope I get Waterford... Apparently I am next on the list for there. After spending a few weeks looking at Daft I think I will be refusing Dublin and holding out for Waterford. Finding anywhere to live near Dublin that is remotely affordable is a nightmare.

Fingers crossed for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 GNorton5

What is your OOM for Waterford?
    Have they requested your hearing tests and references ?

Advertisement