Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Grodzilla wrote: »
    even with shift allowance its 29k

The scale is a bloody long one but it tops out at a decent wage. You have to evaluate it against your current career trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Span Molby

Saache wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.. Really unsure what to do. At the references stage now so I need to make a decision asap. I think the job will be interesting but the 4 x 12 hour shifts for the salary offered is a turn off. Even though long term benefits seem good.

The job is really interesting and yes the 12 hour shifts can be long but the 4 days off plus the general annual leave is very hard to find anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lenny45

Noiram wrote: »
    I just checked it there and its definitely 16 for Castlebar! Don't know if it makes a difference but I had Galway down as first choice and got no 20?? so I presume Ill be offered Castlebar. It seems to be a very long process.

Turns out we got the same score I am also number 20 for Galway but castlebar is my first choice, I called public jobs yesterday and was told if there are people with the same score they get the same number but apparently there will then be no number 17, 18 ...etc. Only one person has been accepted for castlebar so far but they said it may speed up in the next couple of months but no guarantees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

Saache wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.. Really unsure what to do. At the references stage now so I need to make a decision asap. I think the job will be interesting but the 4 x 12 hour shifts for the salary offered is a turn off. Even though long term benefits seem good.

I am there a few months now. it's 6 days of 12 hour shifts. finishing on 2 nights (10pm to 8am). To be honest the nights are hard but the leave is great, you can work up time as well, finish early some days. take half days etc etc so ends up working out that you only average a 40 hour week or less. am enjoying it and the people are lovely. it is very busy there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Grodzilla

Is there opportunities to work overtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crossbeauty

yes overtime almost every week

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cherylwalsh3

Did anyone on the new recent panels for Dublin or Waterford hear anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlfitz

I'm on the recent panel too. Done interview in July.
    I emailed them to see what the story was and basically it's going in proper order so when they reach you in the order of merit then they will contact you about the next step is what I was told. Its all about patience now but hopefully there will be some movement on the panels I moved up a place so there must be.
    If you email them they will tell you the exact same thing but at least all hope is not lost.
    🙂
    Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tanyatf44

I have had contact last week to say my number has come up in Dublin. In the process of vetting at the moment. Interview was in early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mollycasey

I am at vetting stage for cork, they are saying it could take approx 14 weeks! When do they advise of the salary? Does everyone start off on the beginning of the scale? I am working in the private sector at the moment on a decent enough wage and would hate to have to take a big drop. What are the **** times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 stevecarroll23

i got an email to complete a Garda Vetting application, nothing about the job or anything. Is this what everyone else got?

mollycasey wrote: »
    I am at vetting stage for cork, they are saying it could take approx 14 weeks! When do they advise of the salary? Does everyone start off on the beginning of the scale? I am working in the private sector at the moment on a decent enough wage and would hate to have to take a big drop. What are the **** times?

Unless you have previous tenure in the civil service / certain public service roles then you'll be at point 1 on the scale.

Re vetting it can take longer than 14 weeks I'm afraid.

Unless you have previous tenure in the civil service / certain public service roles then you'll be at point 1 on the scale.

Re vetting it can take longer than 14 weeks I'm afraid.

I have previous experience as an admin with barnardos so hopefully I won’t have to go back to the start of the scale!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I have previous experience as an admin with barnardos so hopefully I won’t have to go back to the start of the scale!

Unless it is experience in the civil service you will start at point one on the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stevecarroll23

I got a Garda Vetting Form emailed to me 5 days ago, i completed it & sent it off. I got a mail from them this morning saying that vetting has been completed.

When i track my application it says that it is completed and that a disclosure has been viewed - that was on the 12th sept and i haven't heard anything since.

When i track my application it says that it is completed and that a disclosure has been viewed - that was on the 12th sept and i haven't heard anything since.

That's normally just the first strand of three. Fully vetting takes 16+ weeks.

Tanyatf44 wrote: »
    I have had contact last week to say my number has come up in Dublin. In the process of vetting at the moment. Interview was in early August.

What number in Dublin were you? If you don’t mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Noodles1223

Hello.
    New to this.also completed Garda Vetting.does it really take 14 weeks to complete.worked in Aer Lingus last year.vetting only took few weeks

Hello.
    New to this.also completed Garda Vetting.does it really take 14 weeks to complete.worked in Aer Lingus last year.vetting only took few weeks

There is a huge backlog for the extended vetting required for the Guards as they've taken on so many civilians. You might tell them if you've already undergone extended vetting just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got the initial vetting request yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Has anyone from the Waterford panel heard anything lately?

We've heard nothing at all since results of interview at the beginning of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 19imelda

Got word that I was on panel for Galway back in July but nothing since, how do you track your application

Hi Imelda,

You are given a tracking number from the NVB which allows you to track the vetting application.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 19imelda

Sorry for all the questions but what is NVB

Has anyone from the Waterford panel heard anything lately?

We've heard nothing at all since results of interview at the beginning of August.

They are at no 1 in Waterford and Dublin. That was the last update I got in early September. You could drop them an email and see if there’s any movement on the panel.

Anyone else any updates? I don’t want to go emailing them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Noodles1223

No updates so far.
    Its a waiting game.
    OOM Dublin 4 Waterford 7

how many previous employer references do you need for the role, i just got an email requesting them but they didnt say how many!

• Advertisement

how many previous employer references do you need for the role, i just got an email requesting them but they didnt say how many!

For those of you already started in the role did the public appointments contact your current employer before you received the letter of offer?

Advertisement