Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favorite goal/moment (Help Wanted)

• 09-12-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, I'm more of a lurker on the forum than poster, but maybe some of you will know me! So, my name's Barry Masterson, I'm an illustrator, grew up in Longford, so I'm a League of Ireland head as well.

I make a lot of work involving Irish football, but sport in general too, and always have a couple of personal projects on the go. For the last while I've been illustrating football stadiums, and some memorable moments from Irish football, I'll share a few at the end of the post, to give you an idea of what I make, and of some of my own favourites. I'm only 27, so missed all of the late 80's early 90's craic sadly, although I was born on the day of the Romania, Italia 90 match!

So, what I'm looking for really, is if some of you could take the time to share some of your favourite moments/goals/days in football, doesn't have to be solely related to the national team, but it's not a bad start!

Seeing as I'm asking all of the questions, I'll share first!

Tthe greatest moment of my football supporting life to date is the Longford v Waterford United FAI Cup final. Kirby scoring against his old club, with two balls on the pitch, Keegan getting the winner after having a sh*t year, 2 Injury time goals to win any final is hard to top, it was laced with narrative and I was young enough to assume that sort of success would never end :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

il_570xN.1331479089_1nfr.jpg

il_570xN.1324167751_i2wp.jpg

il_570xN.1331475277_3qyc.jpg

il_570xN.1284235914_ezn7.jpg

Here are a couple examples of some of my other favorites and my early attempts at drawing them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

il_570xN.1331479089_1nfr.jpg

il_570xN.1324167751_i2wp.jpg

il_570xN.1331475277_3qyc.jpg

il_570xN.1284235914_ezn7.jpg

Here are a couple examples of some of my other favorites and my early attempts at drawing them :pac:
    Hey lads, I'm more of a lurker on the forum than poster, but maybe some of you will know me! So, my name's Barry Masterson, I'm an illustrator, grew up in Longford, so I'm a League of Ireland head as well.

I make a lot of work involving Irish football, but sport in general too, and always have a couple of personal projects on the go. For the last while I've been illustrating football stadiums, and some memorable moments from Irish football, I'll share a few at the end of the post, to give you an idea of what I make, and of some of my own favourites. I'm only 27, so missed all of the late 80's early 90's craic sadly, although I was born on the day of the Romania, Italia 90 match!

So, what I'm looking for really, is if some of you could take the time to share some of your favourite moments/goals/days in football, doesn't have to be solely related to the national team, but it's not a bad start!
    Seeing as I'm asking all of the questions, I'll share first!

Tthe greatest moment of my football supporting life to date is the Longford v Waterford United FAI Cup final. Kirby scoring against his old club, with two balls on the pitch, Keegan getting the winner after having a sh*t year, 2 Injury time goals to win any final is hard to top, it was laced with narrative and I was young enough to assume that sort of success would never end :rolleyes:

I’ve won a couple of your prints Barry. They are class.

Some of my favourite moments would be Zidanes winning goal at Hampden. Alberts lob over Schmeichel in Newcastle’s 5-0 win. Cantona’s dink against Sunderland and his arrogant celebration. Guti’s backheel assist to Benzema against Deportiva La Coruna. Any game involving Ronaldo R9. Trevor Sinclairs overhead kick for QPR vs Barnsley in FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The greatest FAI Cup winner of all time.

https://streamable.com/tgl6e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A pic of Stephanie Roche's Puskas nominated goal would be cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dya mind if I ask what you use to create your prints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Guy Bates goal against cork city to win Drogheda the league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Rogers' left foot volley into the top corner v Hajduk Split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Those drawings look like photos with a photoshop filter applied to them.

Pirlo's panenka on Hart mid-flap.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Avoiding being corny and saying Milito's goals that sealed the treble, my really most memorable are...

Samuel's goal to make it 4-3 at the death against Siena. I was there and went absolutely crazy. I also remember clearly "knowing" that once Sneijder made it 3-3 we were going to get the fourth even though it was very late on.

Later on in same season... Roma were top and we needed to keep up pace, we had dominated but it was 0-0 late on and I could see the league and potentially the treble slipping away then this beauty by Maicon... I was at home for this one and jumped so high I fell.

Then Milito's when we were responsible for Juventus' first loss in their new stadium. I was in tears at the end of this. We had had two relatively poor years, little did I know we were due for a lot more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rivaldo's overhead kick against Valencia.
    Either of Twigg's goals in the first derby in Tallaght, the second with him in mid-air having loop headed it would look great...
    Iniesta's goal against Chelsea in 2009 CL semi final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

BJ Banda's goal against Limerick is a personal favourite

astradave wrote: »
    Dya mind if I ask what you use to create your prints?

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Those drawings look like photos with a photoshop filter applied to them.

Pirlo's panenka on Hart mid-flap.

Not quite, I went through art college and all that so have drawing bet in to me at this stage :pac: but obviously I'll look through tons of photos and footage to help to decide what I'm doing :)

I use a drawing tablet and sketch/paint them in photoshop, like a digital drawing in essence.. Hoping to upgrade my computer early next year to stream something :D

I still do some work in pencil/charcoal/pen, and it's what I prefer tbh, but not nearly as much, due to time/money constraints, as is life :o

ps.

DN9mzgRWAAAtnTO.jpg

I’ve won a couple of your prints Barry. They are class.

Wonderful, always happy to hear that people like them, I spent a long time telling myself it would never be worth trying, before I started making this stuff :pac:

rmchmufc wrote: »
    BJ Banda's goal against Limerick is a personal favourite

I live in Limerick, so went to the first leg, Limerick could have won 5-0, I thought it was unbelievable that they got themselves relegated, but BJ being the hero was just so wonderful you couldn't not be happy for Harps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

While it’s not a goal I would love to
    See your version of the grimmace Packie Bonner gave before he lobbed the ball up the field to Kevin Sheedy who then stuck it in the English net!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'll limit it to this season: Rodrigo Tosi lobbing McNulty to set off an unlikely win in a thrilling game, which pretty much guaranteed our premier division survival.

21768296_10155600805603886_3157726277410014726_n.jpg?oh=96c52b692f442a3476bdb049483a14e6&oe=5ACA818F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Fabio Grosso last minute of extra time winner v Germany in WC 2006 semi final..the pass from Pirlo to set it up...the finish. Sublime.

andrea-pirlo-fabio-grosso-2006_14lk506ewa74z1godvpv507km7.jpg?t=544413942

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Marco van Basten against the USSR in Euro 88 was a peach.

Houghton in Euro 88 and World Cup 1994 were very memorable too

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Oat23 wrote: »
    The greatest FAI Cup winner of all time.

https://streamable.com/tgl6e

Sorry Oat23, have to relegate your choice to number 2 as we have the new winner here tongue.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HlcLw1Mrc

Dont know how Randomfriend would be able to fully recreate the stunning quality of the pitch pacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Any chance of Shaun Kelly's goal against Finn Harps in the first leg of the relegation playoff?

There's no action shots that I can find of the goal but there's a few of him celebrating if it's any good.
    One.
    Two.
    Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Ronnie Whelan Euro '88. Out of the blue, a thing of wonder. Turned out to be a scruffy hit on closer examination, but live was a heart-stopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Robbie Keanes goal against Germany still brings a tear to my eye!!

Steven Gerrard's goal against Olympiacos to get out of the group.

Glen Crowe against St Pats prob still the best goal I have ever seen live.

I don't think I remembered to say this, so, cheers for your input guys, I appreciate all of you who took the time to share, I've asked this question and will continue to on a couple different forums and social medias, maybe I'll share some stuff I make in response here in the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not a goal, but my favourite image from the past few years...

o-ROBIN-VAN-PERSIE-570.jpg?6

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Promised Land:

Was in the corner behind that goal - back row.

Advertisement