Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Iceland tips

• 09-12-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am planning to go to Iceland in June 2018 (well here's hoping). I want to see the midnight sun....specifically I'd like to do it above the arctic circle (I know that Grimsey is the only part of Iceland above this imaginary line).

This may sound like a stupid question...but basically the sun goes up and down in the sky and "bounces" off the horizon (rather than setting) well that's the best I can describe it, hope you can catch my drift...What time does this "bounce" happen at?

And any advice on a tour that would take me from Akureyri or Reykjavic?

I was originally planning to stay on Grimsey on 21 June so it wouldn't have mattered what time it was at but it looks like the 2 guesthouses that I can find on the island are booked out.

Thanks for any guidance - it seems my internet searches are just pulling up loads and loads of stuff but nothing that fits my requirements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

VandC wrote: »
    I am planning to go to Iceland in June 2018 (well here's hoping). I want to see the midnight sun....specifically I'd like to do it above the arctic circle (I know that Grimsey is the only part of Iceland above this imaginary line).

This may sound like a stupid question...but basically the sun goes up and down in the sky and "bounces" off the horizon (rather than setting) well that's the best I can describe it, hope you can catch my drift...What time does this "bounce" happen at?

I have never been to Iceland but can help you out with the first part of your query.....

I note the following from basic research....

1. Iceland is on UTC (GMT) all year round, they do not observe daylight saving time.

2. Grimsey is an island which is bang on the Arctic Circle and the 18 W meridian of Longitude.

From Grimsey, the sun will rise to an elevation of 49 degrees above the horizon at midday, it will then descend into the west and skirt the northern horizon without setting before rising again into the eastern sky. It will be at it's lowest point in the sky when it is at true north at 1:12 a.m. local time (GMT) in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

thanks coylemj, good to know. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get that info. Much appreciated. :)

If anybody has any tips on how best to see this, please let me know. It's like I'll need a ferry or flight to leave around the midnight mark and stay there until after this time. anything I have found so far all seems to be daytime and there isn't much places to stay on the teeny tiny island of Grimsey and camping aint up my alley :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you may be a bit ambitious here and setting yourself up for what could be an expensive disappointment if it's cloudy on the day. For starters, the midnight sun is not like a total eclipse, you don't have to be at an exact spot and compromising a little on location will probably get you most of the effect for far less expense. That island is on the Arctic Circle but as you've discovered., it has a tiny population and if you attempt to get there for the early hours of June 21st, 2018, you will probably find yourself literally rubbing shoulders with high spending tourists and have to pay accordingly.

Consider the town of Raufarhofn which is on the mainland and by all accounts the most northerly town on the mainland of Iceland. It's only three minutes of latitude south of the Arctic Circle. Google it for several accounts of visits to the town and more info.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Firstly, there's a big thread on Iceland in this forum; it may be worth doing a search in it (and expect your post to maybe get moved into it too!)

My experience of the midnight sun was in Isafjorfur on 22nd June this year. That's technically not the midnight sun, but really it was impossible to notice any real difference. It was certainly bright all night.

You wouldn't need a tour for this option - you can either fly from Reykjavik, or drive. Isafjordur airport is spectacular, so maybe fly one way and drive back the other way, allowing you to see the fjords, Dynjandi waterfall, the rural farms, the golden triangle, etc. Allow 35mph average speed when calculating time/distance because fjords are windy, gravel roads are awful and you will want to stop and get out.

From Isafjordur, the next town on is Bolungarvik, about five minutes' drive, and at the far end of this, you should be able to get a spot looking out to the sea to the west to watch the bounce. As noted above, it'd be about 1:15am, and of course it's quite slow to happen.

Weather is a big factor. I had 2 good days in 5 in Iceland, so don't just allow one night if your plan is to see the bounce.

Also be aware that the locals are asleep, so if walking around the town at night, do respect that, even though it doesn't feel like night.

I had no problems with accommodation in Isafjordur, though it was very expensive. For a cheaper option, try camping.

Not Grimsey I know, but hopefully some help there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I should add - the midnight sun is not warm. It went as low as 3 degrees in Bolungarvik, despite a glorious summer's day. Wrap up warm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Some really great tips and advice. Thanks everyone. Hoping to do things like see the fjords etc. Be different, trying to stay away from those piss up type hols. Will need to look in to guided tours. Potentially gonna be on my own for this trip so would be nice to sit back and watch the views between stops. Thanks again everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

To be honest, I wouldn't really consider any of Iceland to be like a piss up holiday. It's just not that type of destination. So you don't need to plan anything specific to avoid that vibe if you go there. Much like Northern Lights chasers, you need to plan for doing plenty of other stuff on the holiday instead of centring the whole trip around one event. I think by focussing on this one thing too much, you might miss so much of what is amazing about the country. In addition, Iceland is a very cloudy, overcast country, much like Ireland, as it's also influenced by the Gulf Stream. Think about how hard it is to plan for sunny weather in Ireland any time of year - Iceland will be similar.

Advertisement