Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I got the game at launch and hardly played it. Just didn't click with me. There's certainly a good game here, it's just not for me. If I was being critical and it's not necessarily the game's fault it does throw a lot at you straight off the bat.
    There's so many good games now or at least ones I want to play, unless something gets its hooks in early I won't persevere.

Quitter :P

Srsly though, remember you had the same issue with Bloodborne? But persevered and loved it? Same thing with this, worth the effort. They keep adding to it also, which is nice.

I havent played it since release myself, but i played it to death and loved it, ill return in the near future for all the added content goodness and also big DLC on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bloodbourne was a little different for me. I loved the world from the get go and had gone in with very low expectations ie. I was going to get the crap kicked out of me and hate it. It's also a lot more linear. Hit monsters with pointy things moving from a to b.

I couldn't get to grips with the crafting and mat farming of MHW. You're right though it needs a bit of perseverance at the outset, alas I was found to be lacking. I still have it as I got it digitally so I'll likely have a run at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm too sucked into Sekiro, really need to get back to MHW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Dcully wrote: »
    Give it atleast 3-4 hours, get a few hunts in and see what you think, the beginning of the game is a snoozefest only for you to reach a point where a tonne of info is thrown at you.

Thats what I found and it put me right off. It was VERY cheesy for the first 30 minutes and then you are bombarded with a tonne of info. I kinda lost interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Controls for k+m seemed absolutely weird as well. It felt like the defaults were designed by someone who'd never played a pc game and just randomly assigned keys to stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Finally picked up World after several months break. For the life of me I cannot defeat the Behemoth solo... either I've gotten really bad or I've gotten REALLY bad. So headed to Youtube to pick up some tips (not even extreme Behemoth just the normal one) and came across this:

I've seen some mental broken spam attacks before (reminds me of the bow pillar spam when World was first released) but this takes the biscuit! Arch tempered Nergigante as well!

Must admit I am looking forward to Iceborn. Hope we get a good few returning monsters to the roster, not just Nargacuga and Tigrex (that roar at the end of the Iceborn trailer has GOT TO BE Tigrex). I would love to see Barioth return. Maybe include it's Sand subspecies as well for the Wildspire. Really really really REALLY hoping that with the introduction of Master Rank (it will always be G-Rank to me), they include Golden Rathian and Silver Rathalos. Unlikely but can always hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Got stuck into this towards the middle of last week and really enjoying it. Have almost 20hrs put into it in the meantime and about to tackle Odogaron. I'm a Greatsword user so not sure how I'll fare out as I understand he's super fast and aggressive, guess I'll just have to pick my shots and get moving.

Do folks usually end up maining one weapon type? I'm presuming it might be wise to have a backup faster weapon. Will see how I get on later with him.

Haven't done a huge amount of farming monsters I've beaten yet but I'm thinking this guy might force me into doing that going by what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

skerry wrote: »
    Got stuck into this towards the middle of last week and really enjoying it. Have almost 20hrs put into it in the meantime and about to tackle Odogaron. I'm a Greatsword user so not sure how I'll fare out as I understand he's super fast and aggressive, guess I'll just have to pick my shots and get moving.

Do folks usually end up maining one weapon type? I'm presuming it might be wise to have a backup faster weapon. Will see how I get on later with him.

Haven't done a huge amount of farming monsters I've beaten yet but I'm thinking this guy might force me into doing that going by what I've heard.

You can use the same weapon for every monster, but there definitely weapons that perform better versus certain monsters. As for farming the monsters, at the moment you are in low rank so i wouldn't bother unless you find a set of armour you simply like the look of. High Rank are when the armour traits come into play and that's when the game starts to take off with different armour combinations.

When you get comfortable/bored with the current weapon you are using you can branch off and try another. A new weapon really mixes up the feel of the game and gives it a fresh coat of paint if you tire of whatever else you where using. I have played about 300 hours on the PS4 and have only used 3 of the melee weapons to a point where i would say i "know" them. There is for sure replayability in the game when it comes to trying new weapons! Can't wait for Iceborne!

You can use the same weapon for every monster, but there definitely weapons that perform better versus certain monsters. As for farming the monsters, at the moment you are in low rank so i wouldn't bother unless you find a set of armour you simply like the look of. High Rank are when the armour traits come into play and that's when the game starts to take off with different armour combinations.

When you get comfortable/bored with the current weapon you are using you can branch off and try another. A new weapon really mixes up the feel of the game and gives it a fresh coat of paint if you tire of whatever else you where using. I have played about 300 hours on the PS4 and have only used 3 of the melee weapons to a point where i would say i "know" them. There is for sure replayability in the game when it comes to trying new weapons! Can't wait for Iceborne!

I'll see how I get on with the greatsword on red dog dude later so. Managed fine with Ice Dragon guy before that with it but I understand he's a lot quicker.

Still enjoy getting used to the Greatsword and it does a lot of damage. Using Carapace Buster ii at the moment, no element and minus affinity but seemed to be highest raw damage output I had materials for. Not sure if there is something better I should be using.

Insect Glaive looks interesting. Looking at the list of main quests it looks like I'm about 5 monsters away from end so looking forward to getting into the end game gear. Also itching to try the Witcher mission.

I presume if I want to try another weapon type I just buy from armoury and upgrade with the materials I've been using all along.

The greatsword is a beast, its prob my fav weapon. Granted i havent played with all the weapons extensively but its a great "heavy hitter", its got great reach and theres nothing more satisfying than landing the 3 hit swing summersault swing combo right in a monsters kisser :D

• Advertisement

Exciting!

Alright alright, ill get it on PC and get stuck into all the added content i missed since release when i played it on my PS4...:pac:

nix wrote: »
    Alright alright, ill get it on PC and get stuck into all the added content i missed since release when i played it on my PS4...:pac:

Iceborne is delayed on PC again. I didn't have the heart to go through the story again on PC. Ill stick with PS4

Iceborne is delayed on PC again. I didn't have the heart to go through the story again on PC. Ill stick with PS4

Did you try? I am worried ill lose interest grinding through the story again.. I'm hoping using weapons ive never used yet will keep it fresh enough..

I could just keep rocking my PS4 copy but i dont wanna pay for PS plus and id prefer PC for grouping up anyway.. I've never played MH online with anybody yet...

Beat the Odogaron with my trusty Greatsword, first effort, no faints. Had Divine Blessing on a couple of armour pieces which saved my ass more than once during the fight. He only bled me a couple of times and luckily that was near the end of a phase and he walked off allowing me time to recover. Managed to capture him too which was my first capture :)

What do you get when you cross an angry flying cat/dragon with a locomotive? TIGREX!

I'm actually excited about Iceborne now. New Legiana subspecies it looks like! GLAVENUS!!!! Really REALLY hoping that Astalos, Mitzutsune and Gammoth return along with Glavenus to complete the Fated Four! Gotta be right, you can't just have one of the Fated Four! Is hoping for their subspecies as well too hopeful? SO HOPING that Zinogre is being introduced. Need a proper Thunder LS, that Tobi Kadachi one is rubbish. But then that niche might be filled by Astalos if it returns. We're defnitely gonna get more than one Elder Dragon. Alatreon was supposedly on a leaked list going back to not soon after World's initial release. Here's hoping!

Ok i started the grind again on PC, its ok, not too bad so far, using a new weapon is helping keeping it fresh, not to mention ive forgot alot of the tricks and what items do what...

But eh, any weapon recommendations? I'm using the big hammer at the moment, its pretty good, but not sure i wanna stick with it, its similar to the greatsword, but i prefer the greatsword over it i think..

Id be interested in trying the range weapons, but i suspect they are crappy, playing solo anyway..

The only other weapon i remember giving time to is the longsword, but ive in no way mastered it.. I've also dabbled with the glaives and daggers, but in no way learned any combos or used them longer than a quest or two..

What other weapons ya'll prefer?

nix wrote: »
    Ok i started the grind again on PC, its ok, not too bad so far, using a new weapon is helping keeping it fresh, not to mention ive forgot alot of the tricks and what items do what...

But eh, any weapon recommendations? I'm using the big hammer at the moment, its pretty good, but not sure i wanna stick with it, its similar to the greatsword, but i prefer the greatsword over it i think..

Id be interested in trying the range weapons, but i suspect they are crappy, playing solo anyway..

The only other weapon i remember giving time to is the longsword, but ive in no way mastered it.. I've also dabbled with the glaives and daggers, but in no way learned any combos or used them longer than a quest or two..

What other weapons ya'll prefer?

Switch Axe, Gunlance and SnS are my favourite 3 weapons all because i find them most fun, not because they are strong or anything. Infact Switch Axe and SnS are considered 2 of the weaker weapons in the game (Based on speed running) Gunlance has 3 different play styles depending on the shelling type of your weapon, and some very satisfying moves! Same goes for Switch axe except for the different styles, it plays mostly the same no matter the weapon/phial type. SnS might be considered abit button mashy, but i find its easy of movement/use compared to the other 2 weapons makes a nice contrast. A real all-rounder weapon that i think they will bring up to speed in Iceborne

And yeah, i got bored with running through the story again on PC. Not being able to skip cutscenes was probably the real killer. I got as far as Paolumu before i uninstalled it. Was even playing with a new weapon type but it wasn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

For me, the best all-rounder is the charge blade. Speed of movement of the Sword and Shield, along with the heavy hitting power/style of an axe, and the ability to charge up phials for amped up attacks is very satisfying.

Just have to remember to transfer the charge into the blade, which comes pretty naturally after a while, or else you'll be bouncing off everything you hit when you're overcharged.

Looking amazing!

Direct copy and paste of a summary of some new stuff from a comment by Weiss Gaming on Youtube:

BASE
    - New base is called Seliana
    - Plot is following Legiana migration to a new area as they were previously only found in Coral Highlands
    - There will be Master Rank quests that take place in the old maps
    - There's a new felyne chef, it's the teacher of the Astera chef
    - The facilities seem to be closer together than Astera
    - Your housekeeper is now in the window of your house so you can access from the main area too
    - The new facility is a steamworks, you gather fuel from quests then play a minigame where you use the fuel to power the steamworks for items
    - King armour spheres are new spheres
    - There's a (partially) free roaming camera mode
    - There's a poses in view mode for screenshots for some reason, can be used in quests too, the palico poses with the hunter too

MONSTERS
    - Tigrex is obviously a high pressure monster, and is pronounced tigg-er-ex and not tiy-ger-ex like the animal tiger
    - Shrieking Legiana is a variant, it's a legiana which has adapated to Hoarfrost Reach
    - The new flagship is Velkhana and is an elder dragon (as already mentioned)
    - Tigrex's roar still does damage

EQUIPMENT
    - Rarity 9 armour and weapons are confirmed, they are red - You can upgrade mantles to a + level and have slots on them?
    - The armour shown had a 650~ defence rating (this is a demo set so may not be true to release day)

QUESTS
    - There is a 2 player specific player setting so duos are gonna make a comeback
    - Difficulty now re-adjusted to lower levels if player leaves or disconnects but once palicos are gone you can't rejoin
    - Raider riders are the new riding which follows the scoutflies to monster locations via tracks (it's automatic), you can use and gather items while riding
    - Hotsprings warm you and heal you, and are placed in the map
    - You can do jump attacks by jumping off your raider rider
    - The vigorwasp has a 1 time revive addition
    - You can be chucked off and damaged when using the clutch claw

My own addition: RUMOURS
    - Alatreon and Oroshi Kirin are rumoured to pop up because they were leaked in an unofficial monster list before World was released (Lunastra was also on this list, giving somewhat actual proof to this being true)
    - High expectations for Zinogre to return (very highly sought by many MH fans), as well as other previous flagship monsters from past games sparked by the now known return of Glavenus following a glimpse at the end of teaser video released last week (Zinogre itself too a flagship)

• Advertisement

Small update on multiplayer level scaling:
    - solo = no scaling (obviously)
    - 2 players = slightly increased scaling
    - 3/4 players = full scaling

And to repeat from my last post, difficulty will now scale back if players leave a quest (3/4 to 2, and 2 to 1) which is FRICKIN' AMAZING!

Not that it's much use to me cos I hunt solo, so git gud noobs :D:D:D

That being said, I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to special quests like Behemoth/Extreme Behemoth/Ancient Leshen - I am basing that solely on a random comment I read, so it could be entirely false.

Some other changes not covered in the above posts:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Reinstalled MHW..:D

Have about 63 hours played and for the love of Christ id love to know how to play this game correctly, I don't think ive completed the single player yet, but not sure. Don't get me started on crafting and perks...

New returning monster theory: Khezu/Gigginox.
    - based solely on the caves shown during E3. They just scream the perfect environment for those two. Of course if you've never fought them in previous games, fair warning, they're ugly as **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The matchmaking with friends system is interesting,strangest thing ive come accross in awhile:(

Jesus I completely forgot about this thread! Quick update on what's new since I previously posted:

New old monsters returning CONFIRMED:
    - Glavenus
    - Barioth
    - Brachydious (teaser from most recent trailer the same as how glavenus was teased a while back, no gameplay footage as yet)

New subspecies:
    - Ebony Odogaron
    - Acidic Glavenus
    - Fulgur Anjanath

There are still rumours floating around that Zinogre will return. Its gameplay skeletal structure is almost identical to the Behemoth's, plus the release of the new Fulgur Anjanath further adds possible evidence, as Zinogre gets its thunder abilities from Fulgur bugs.

The Summer Fast started today peeps! Most event quests have returned (one or two exceptions), one of the ones you wanna focus on though is The Greatest Jagras for farming decorations! Also, even if you don't fancy playing much, log in anyway because there's a free Attack Jewel being given away with the login bonus, so that's reason enough just to login!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jaxxx wrote: »
    The Summer Fast started today peeps! Most event quests have returned (one or two exceptions), one of the ones you wanna focus on though is The Greatest Jagras for farming decorations! Also, even if you don't fancy playing much, log in anyway because there's a free Attack Jewel being given away with the login bonus, so that's reason enough just to login!

I did that yesterday. Haven't played in looong time! So decided to go solo Great Jagras. With GS, which is not my main. I am so damn rusty, it kicked the loving Jaysus out of me lol.
    Might still go and play a bit, take rust off. Decorations will still be relevant in expansion.

I did that yesterday. Haven't played in looong time! So decided to go solo Great Jagras. With GS, which is not my main. I am so damn rusty, it kicked the loving Jaysus out of me lol.
    Might still go and play a bit, take rust off. Decorations will still be relevant in expansion.

Yeah, even with maxed out armour it can still almost one shot you. One trick though when you enter the quest, don't go for it straight away. Start at the southern camp and wait in the first area where the Aptonoth are. It will come and devour one of the Aptonoth, then you can have at it. This will force it to spit out a lot of jewels, which will appear as "Great Jagras material" on the ground. Can easily get 20+ jewels every run. 30 is the max I think, after that the materials just become Jagras parts again.

Spring event btw not Summer, my mistake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Absolutely love MHW, put in a silly amount of time with it, done every activity available but i have one problem with the game which in the end made me stick with heavy and light bowguns more than anything else and thats the combo gameplay, its just not something i enjoy in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've bought this game but haven't got into it yet. Would anyone be interest in helping me get started on it? I have it on xbox and pc but would have a preference for pc.
    (I bought it on both as I like to support devs that make good games so I bought it on xbox then picked it up on pc when released with the intention to play it.)

Advertisement