Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

SO I've given this another chance. I'm playing with the charge sword? I've just killed Barroth so I assume I'm not far in. The 'asianness' of the game still gets under my skin with the character design and most particularly the weird cringey dialogue and voice actors.

Also I dislike the weird ways of using the weapon. You want to charge your phials? build up powerr then ctrl right mouse. Simples. Want to charge your shield. Well you have to slash slash and then go for a mega slash BUT cancel it and now your shield is charged (RM+LM, RM+LM, RM+LM then quickly ctrl). That makes no freaking sense and looks stupid as well......

Having said all that I'm enjoying it more this time around but I'm still very overwhelmed by all the stuff I'm constantly picking up, I'm not sure if I should be using armor spheres to upgrade my origin armour or do I forge new stuff or does all this become clearer with more play?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Try a ranged weapon if like me you hate the combo crap to pull off a move.
    Underneath is a magnificent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I keep getting tempted by this, but the fact that it's geared towards groups of players has always put me off. Others mentioned that it's possible to do solo, and I even see it's currently down to €20 for the base game, so really tempted now. However, I also see the game page on the store is littered with 'dlc' of skins and emotes, etc. Seeing that puts me off it again (specific face paint design for €2...). Anyway, I will most likely pick it up (to continue the trend of buying games and not playing them), so wanted to check in to ensure there is nothing preventing progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I keep getting tempted by this, but the fact that it's geared towards groups of players has always put me off. Others mentioned that it's possible to do solo, and I even see it's currently down to €20 for the base game, so really tempted now. However, I also see the game page on the store is littered with 'dlc' of skins and emotes, etc. Seeing that puts me off it again (specific face paint design for €2...). Anyway, I will most likely pick it up (to continue the trend of buying games and not playing them), so wanted to check in to ensure there is nothing preventing progress?

You can play solo entirely, I did when the game first came out, i didnt have internet at the time so played offline, and im pretty sure i killed all monsters. They may have added some monsters later that need a group, but id still say those would be soloable also, just might take long.

But eh, the game has a learning curve and can be difficult for some Id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

For the price of the base game there is a metric **** tonne of value here. I sank a total of 400 hours into the PS4 version and i didn't do as much of the endgame grind as alot of other players do. Stopped playing at about Hunter Rank 120. I also played the game entirely solo bar 2 of the end game monsters which i did with groups, as they are designed around them.

The DLC in shop is mostly trash. Mainly emotes for people who are big into the social aspect of the game, the base game comes with alot of free event style DLC and alot of monsters where added over the games lifetime as free DLC.

Monster Hunter: World is my first MH games and is one of my favourite games of all time. It really is that good, with Iceborne being the only "game" im looking forward to this year. The only problem i could see you having with it Monke is the difficulty. If i recall correctly you couldn't getting into the Souls games because of the difficulty. That being said i don't consider it on par with Souls games in difficulty terms. The combat is much slower and planned out versus Dark Souls sometimes twitch based action. No monster in MHW gave me problems the way, say a Dark Souls boss would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sound peeps. Similar to Dark Souls/steep learning curve would not be good for me, so cheers for pointing that out. I'm still torn, may wait until it drops to a tenner! :pac:

I played mostly solo starting out.
    Ignore the DLC plenty of free mods for of version too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sound peeps. Similar to Dark Souls/steep learning curve would not be good for me, :pac:

Kinda, its not as cruel as those games in terms of you can die as easily. You can put up a good fight before dying usually, you're constantly beating on and chasing the monster back to its nest for the kill, you're allowed to be KO'd 3 times before your mission fails and the monsters health doesnt reset if you get KO'd, he may regenerate a lil buts thats about it..

I found playing it, if a monster rinses you fast in the game, it usually means you need to farm mats to make better armour/weapons to progress with more ease.. theres no leveling system in the game, just harvesting monsters for better armour/weapons...

Dcully wrote: »
    Try a ranged weapon if like me you hate the combo crap to pull off a move.
    Underneath is a magnificent game.

I don't mind the combo stuff as such, just it's weird that there's a 'sensible' option to charge phials but you have to do 4 move cancel to charge a shield and a to a lesser extent a cancel action to charge your sword (which itself makes your do an attack).

But whatever, I can deal it.

Tell me.... I just forged a great jagras charge sword and as best I can make out it does fractionally more DPS of the default one that I've upgraded to level 3 at the expense of not having the same sharpness bands. Is there other more important aspects to these trees other than some of them having elemental damages? Is it mostly just aesthetics?

BTW I tried the bow and that seems more unwieldy and again is just odd from a controls perspective. I can't 'unsheathe' the bow without shooting it (might just be an options thing). Then if I toggle on aim first BEFORE unsheathing then nothing happens if I press the same shoot button, I've to turn off aim, shoot blindly to unsheathe then I can toggle on aim. Then with the bow if I press F to aimlock (that red targetting box) it seems to jump all over the shop rather than stick on one thing. Like who designed this madness??

I cannot recommend these setting enough, real game changer.
    Also try the heavy and light bowguns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Got any settings guides, too?
    I've a beefy system (i7-5820K overclocked, GTX 1080) but I seem to have messed it up somewhere and I'm not sure what I should turn down to get it running at 1440p 60fps+ again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

**** sake not out till January on pc :(

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Got any settings guides, too?
    I've a beefy system (i7-5820K overclocked, GTX 1080) but I seem to have messed it up somewhere and I'm not sure what I should turn down to get it running at 1440p 60fps+ again.

I recall some setting giving a 40% boost alright ,should be in this vid.

I believe it's the volume rendering. Turns off that annoying vaseline smeared look and saves a chunk of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

All Confirmed Monsters for Iceborne thus far with 1 month to go (sorry PC users :p):

- Banbaro
    - Beotodus
    - Shrieking Legiana
    - Nargacuga
    - Tigrex
    - Barioth
    - Velkhana
    - Brachydios (though not officially confirmed, but a teaser confirmation in one of the last teaser videos released by Capcom, much like Glavenus' initial teaser)
    - Glavenus
    - Acidic Glavenus
    - Fulgur Anjanath
    - Ebony Odogaron
    - Coral Pukei-Pukei
    - Viper Toby Kadachi
    - Nightshade Paolumu
    - Ruiner Nergigante

** The last 6 in the list are all subspecies, as opposed to Shrieking Legiana which is a variant.

You can be sure there are more as well. Still high hopes for Zinogre shared by the MH community. Undoubtedly there will be an end game boss monster as well, much like
    Xeno'Jiiva
    was in base World. Nargacuga/Tigrex/Barioth all have subspecies that would fit in nicely in World, so that's also a possibility. I would guess that Velkhana and the end game boss are not the only Elder Dragons we are getting. Much like the base game as well, you can be sure that more monsters will be released down the line as was the case for World where Deviljho/Lunastra/etc were released months after game launch.

Btw I assume you lot have been hitting the game every day to utilise the daily bounties??

Gotta be more than one Elder Dragon. I bet we see a Nergigante Varient/Sub-species (I don't know the difference) and some other new/returning monster

Some new balance changes where revealed today also. Buff to elemental weapons and nerf to crit basically. Here's a video, have to skip to over half way for the MH:W segment

-Edit-

Actually after watching that video, i hope the main hub area is also the multiplayer lobby. That was the only thing i didn't like about the base game, that they where separated

Variants are basically the exact same monster, all but identical, but much stronger and haven taken on extra traits. If you compare Legiana and its Shrieking variant, physically they look almost identical except the Shrieking variant has darker marks on it and will be a much tougher fight compared to its normal version. Subspecies are as the name says, a completely separate subspecies of the monster, e.g. Rathalos and Azure Rathalos, keeping the same skeletal structure as their cousin, but looking completely different to one another. Sometimes even taking on completely different elements/status to their normal counterparts, e.g. the regular Anjanath has fire attacks, Fulgur Anjanath will have electric attacks.

Nerigante is getting a variant alright. It's called "Ruiner Nergigante". Be sure to bring your brown pants!!

As for the Crit nerf, if I remember right the changes are this:

- Mighty skill: will only activate if stamina is maxed for a certain period of time, i.e. if you dodge, it will no longer be active and you'll have to wait a while after it maxes out again for it to reactivate. Whereas before if you dodged, it would activate as soon as the stamina bar maxed out again.
    - Tenderizer skill: top % is being dropped from 50% to 30%. So I assume now instead of 10/30/50%, it will be 10/20/30%.

I'm happy about the elemental buff. I was sick of the meta being using Kulve Taroth weapons from the siege. I'm guilty of it myself, but hopefully this buff will put all weapons on an equal standing again.

So varients seem to be like Arch tempered to some degree? I also hope it's a case of elemental weapons being the best possible weapon in a class against monsters that are weak to it. So you have you non element weps that are decent against monster monsters and the elements ones which are simply superior

So varients seem to be like Arch tempered to some degree? I also hope it's a case of elemental weapons being the best possible weapon in a class against monsters that are weak to it. So you have you non element weps that are decent against monster monsters and the elements ones which are simply superior

Arch tempered or regular tempered are the exact same monster physically, but much more powerful versions. Variants have slight physical differences to their regular counterparts and are typically stronger, but are not separate subspecies. Even I struggle with the difference sometimes.

Anyway.. .. ..

ZINOGRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE THUNDER DOGGO IS BACK!!!!!!!!!

Most of the flagship monsters from previous games are now confirmed. The exceptions being Lagiarcus (unlikely), Gore Magala (very unlikely), Seregios, Astalos, Gammoth and Mizutsune all 4 of whom I think are still possible (the latter three form The Fated Four together with Glavenus).

BUT ZINOGRE'S BACK SO I'M HAPPY!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't see why they couldn't bring Gore Magala in, was a very cool/interesting beastie.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    Don't see why they couldn't bring Gore Magala in, was a very cool/interesting beastie.

I agree, but if they did they'd have to bring in the Frenzy virus as well which I expect would take a lot of work, having to overhaul pretty much all large monsters for the frenzy virus. I can see them possibly doing it in another expansion, but for Iceborne I very much doubt it.

Geez I have nightmares of Shagaru Magala from 4U. Could not find a room to pass the urgent, and it took me forever to do it solo. Two things I love about World, no longer needing to be the one to post urgent quests and how online monsters are scaled for solo play.

I'm probably being greedy but now that Zinogre,s confirmed, I'm hoping for Stygian Zinogre as well!

HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS!! RAJANG CONFIRMED AS THE FIRST DLC MONSTER! IMAGINE THE MOST FURIOUS APE YOU EVER DID SEE, AN APE THAT GOES SUPER SAIYAN, AN APE THAT LITERALLY IS RENOWNED FOR EATING KIRIN FOR BREAKFAST!! WOAH BABY!!!!!! Also: RAJANG VS DEVILJHO TURF WAR!! THIS IS SOMETHING WE'VE BEEN WANTING TO SEE EVER THIS PICKLE BOY WAS INTRODUCED, AND NOW FINALLY IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

jaxxx wrote: »
    HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS!! RAJANG CONFIRMED AS THE FIRST DLC MONSTER! IMAGINE THE MOST FURIOUS APE YOU EVER DID SEE, AN APE THAT GOES SUPER SAIYAN, AN APE THAT LITERALLY IS RENOWNED FOR EATING KIRIN FOR BREAKFAST!! WOAH BABY!!!!!! Also: RAJANG VS DEVILJHO TURF WAR!! THIS IS SOMETHING WE'VE BEEN WANTING TO SEE EVER THIS PICKLE BOY WAS INTRODUCED, AND NOW FINALLY IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

MH:W is my first MH game. You don't fail to get me hyped up for **** i don't know about. Well done jaxxx

MH:W is my first MH game. You don't fail to get me hyped up for **** i don't know about. Well done jaxxx

I'll take that as a huge compliment :D

Seriously though, if ever there was a monster that could make you ****e yourself, it's Rajang. Word of advice: don't use flash pods against it! Any Rajang hunt is a world of hurt in itself, especially when it goes super-saiyan. Throw a flash pod into the mix.. .. .. hell on Earth. This thing literally hunts Kirin as part of its diet. It's one of those few regular monsters that is all but an Elder Dragon.

Less than 2 hours now!

Nobody playing Iceborne? Everyone migrated to the PC and waiting on the delayed release? From the outset they seemed to have added alot of content, just like game expansions in the old days! The game puts you into Master Rank from the get go and pits you against new monsters right away. Crazy thong is all those Monsters you hunted in the vanilla game, they also have new armour and weapons! Really wasn't expecting that. Not to mention they also have new attacks to spicy them up abit.

The new monsters I have fought so far have all been tough and fun fights, some quite unique designs with Glaveneous being my favourite fight so far including the base game.

Great stuff so far. Hope to sink another 400 hours into this expansion

Nobody playing Iceborne? Everyone migrated to the PC and waiting on the delayed release? From the outset they seemed to have added alot of content, just like game expansions in the old days! The game puts you into Master Rank from the get go and pits you against new monsters right away. Crazy thong is all those Monsters you hunted in the vanilla game, they also have new armour and weapons! Really wasn't expecting that. Not to mention they also have new attacks to spicy them up abit.

The new monsters I have fought so far have all been tough and fun fights, some quite unique designs with Glaveneous being my favourite fight so far including the base game.

Got it yesterday. Haven't played that much of it. Viper Kadachi though, omfg that poison! I'm using Beo armour to start with, which looks frickin' awesome I must say.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Got it yesterday. Haven't played that much of it. Viper Kadachi though, omfg that poison! I'm using Beo armour to start with, which looks frickin' awesome I must say.

Viper Kadachi carted me 3 times on my first attempt. At that point I decided to farm some MR armour

Waiting on the glorious PC version :)

• Advertisement

Viper Kadachi carted me 3 times on my first attempt. At that point I decided to farm some MR armour

Rathian armour is fairly decent early defensive setup, especially for Venom Kadachi. Health boost and poison resistance.

I've secretly discovered the existence of some late game monsters that were not mentioned by Capcom :D

Advertisement