Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No clue how this isn't out for pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

No clue how this isn't out for pc.

I imagine it's all about money. Timed exclusives are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I imagine it's all about money. Timed exclusives are the worst.

I thought it was due to optimising the port, concentrated on consoles first.

ah it could be I just assumed. Strange they wouldn't wait a few months and release it all at the same time maybe hoping people will double dip? MHW just didn't grab me. I got it at launch but never got into it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@gimli get over the first 2-3 hours and it totally opens up into an amazing game.
    Its known to have a terrible opening in terms of setting the tone for whats to come, the campaign is only just an introduction to the game.
    After that it opens up and offers literally infinite hours of gameplay.

• Advertisement

I think my main two problems with it is that it's melee based and it's just so over whelming earlier on. I prefer shooting stuff although thankfully not in real life. It's certainly a good game just haven't been able to get into it. There's no chance at the minute as Borderlands 3 is going to consume me.

There is ranged weapons , infact i have most time put into the heavy bowgun than anything else, you also have the light bowgun and bow.
    Im not a fan of the combo system at all hence why i play mostly ranged weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I bought this as I got a good deal on a preorder. Had 90 hours on my save from World but I’ve forgotten so much about the game. Debating starting a brand new save.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am ashamed to say, that I completely forgot about this until yesterday morning. So before work I went on to Xbox and bought it. Came back from work last night, dusted off my Lance and went head in to the "New" New world! :D
    So far fought two first new monsters and loved it! Already planing my new mix set from first few Master rank monsters. Unfortunately still working until Thursday, so won't be able to put in a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I am ashamed to say, that I completely forgot about this until yesterday morning. So before work I went on to Xbox and bought it. Came back from work last night, dusted off my Lance and went head in to the "New" New world! :D
    So far fought two first new monsters and loved it! Already planing my new mix set from first few Master rank monsters. Unfortunately still working until Thursday, so won't be able to put in a lot of time.

I'm quitting my job!! :pac:

Just discovered something very disappointing which was covered by GaijinHunter on his latest video. Weapons that finish at rarity 10 have very very disappointing looks. They're basically all look like bone weapons that have some slight 'tinge' of the monster it was forged from. I think there was a similar issue with hammers in particular in base World. Very disappointing. Apparently it's only for rarity 10 weapons, 11 and 12 are fine.

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'm quitting my job!! :pac:

Just discovered something very disappointing which was covered by GaijinHunter on his latest video. Weapons that finish at rarity 10 have very very disappointing looks. They're basically all look like bone weapons that have some slight 'tinge' of the monster it was forged from. I think there was a similar issue with hammers in particular in base World. Very disappointing. Apparently it's only for rarity 10 weapons, 11 and 12 are fine.

Bah, 12h at work, 2h to commute, a bit sleep, the rest MH! :D
    If it's only rarity 10, then it's not too bad. It's mid stop weapons as you will aim for 11 and 12 anyway. I guess MHW was first one to be a bit underwhelming in how weapons look, but they did great job on monsters themselves.
    I have to admit, base MHW got stale for me, because the only thing that had weigh in it was fighting Behemoth and elder dragons at the end. In all my MH carrier elder dragons always my least favorite hunts. All the normal ones were my favorite. This expansion gave me what I wanted. I went back hunting normal monsters again and look for those new leather underpants I want to craft. As I said, I did not have much time to play, but I hunted two new monsters from main quest,few times Barroth and sabertooth lizard which paralyzes stuff. Keep forgetting it's name lol. MR rank really refreshes even old Monsters. I love it.
    As always, I will solo Lance all main content. After that GS fun and multiplayer. Maybe even Branch out this time to other weapon.

Bah, 12h at work, 2h to commute, a bit sleep, the rest MH! :D
    If it's only rarity 10, then it's not too bad. It's mid stop weapons as you will aim for 11 and 12 anyway. I guess MHW was first one to be a bit underwhelming in how weapons look, but they did great job on monsters themselves.
    I have to admit, base MHW got stale for me, because the only thing that had weigh in it was fighting Behemoth and elder dragons at the end. In all my MH carrier elder dragons always my least favorite hunts. All the normal ones were my favorite. This expansion gave me what I wanted. I went back hunting normal monsters again and look for those new leather underpants I want to craft. As I said, I did not have much time to play, but I hunted two new monsters from main quest,few times Barroth and sabertooth lizard which paralyzes stuff. Keep forgetting it's name lol. MR rank really refreshes even old Monsters. I love it.
    As always, I will solo Lance all main content. After that GS fun and multiplayer. Maybe even Branch out this time to other weapon.

Yeah it got stale for me too, I only got into it again during the Summer/Autumn fest and that was solely to farm the daily bounties for the armour spheres and golden tickets.

Looking forward to making a decent lance set with offensive guard! What a skill for the lance!! Plus power guard has built in guard up now after a short period which is amazing!

Yeah it got stale for me too, I only got into it again during the Summer/Autumn fest and that was solely to farm the daily bounties for the armour spheres and golden tickets.

Looking forward to making a decent lance set with offensive guard! What a skill for the lance!! Plus power guard has built in guard up now after a short period which is amazing!

Actually, I am lucky enough to have Guard up decoration! It goes in to all my Lance sets. :D
    I am really ashamed to admit this, but I am really bad at power guard. I guess I just don't need it when I have that deco.

Another thing, I never followed any content about iceborn, just the basics. So I don't really know what will I encounter! It's like big, angry, scary Kinder surprise everytime I go in to hunt! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Was tempted to pick this up the other day after getting caught up in the launch day hype. I'm only HR11 though so think I need to play a bit more of the base game first. Turned my attention to MGHU instead and currently getting my ass kicked by Nargacuga who I understand is in the expansion so I'm afraid of it now. In fairness, I've only tried him a couple of times but he's a big difficulty spike in the game so far, can't get the hang of his moves to form any sort of strategy.

Actually, I am lucky enough to have Guard up decoration! It goes in to all my Lance sets. :D
    I am really ashamed to admit this, but I am really bad at power guard. I guess I just don't need it when I have that deco.

Another thing, I never followed any content about iceborn, just the basics. So I don't really know what will I encounter! It's like big, angry, scary Kinder surprise everytime I go in to hunt! :)

*** heavy intense rapid breathing ***

DO you know how many Greatest Jagras/Name's Lavasioth quests I've done to try and get that decoration :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OH YOU WILL GET WHAT'S COMING TO YOU WHEN RAJANG IS UNLEASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pac:

*** heavy intense rapid breathing ***

DO you know how many Greatest Jagras/Name's Lavasioth quests I've done to try and get that decoration :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OH YOU WILL GET WHAT'S COMING TO YOU WHEN RAJANG IS UNLEASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pac:

Oh feck that, if he comes to MHW I am handing in my Hunter ID and retiring on some island. My anus still soar from him. :pac:

I don't want to make you even more angry, but I got it, before Great Jagras Deco event was even a dirty thought. And when I got it, I did not even knew it existed!!! So imagine my surprise and tears of joy when I sow it as a main lancer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How is everyone getting on?

Just fought Velkhana for the first time last night. Took me 45 minutes to kill her with Rathian SnS :pac: Might have to go back to either the SW or GL as SnS just isn't cutting it in Iceborne, or atleast until i can make some of the elemental weapons and bring them to bear against monsters weak to them.

Glavenous my favourite fight so far, both versions!

Oh feck that, if he comes to MHW I am handing in my Hunter ID and retiring on some island. My anus still soar from him. :pac:

I don't want to make you even more angry, but I got it, before Great Jagras Deco event was even a dirty thought. And when I got it, I did not even knew it existed!!! So imagine my surprise and tears of joy when I sow it as a main lancer. :D

Well I just got an Offensive Guard/Attack deco so suck on that!! :pac:

How is everyone getting on?

Just fought Velkhana for the first time last night. Took me 45 minutes to kill her with Rathian SnS :pac: Might have to go back to either the SW or GL as SnS just isn't cutting it in Iceborne, or atleast until i can make some of the elemental weapons and bring them to bear against monsters weak to them.

Glavenous my favourite fight so far, both versions!
    I'm taking it slow. Haven't been able to play all week cos of work. Put in a few hours today. Have Nargacuga and Glavenus to fell next.

SnS is one of those weapons that the vast majority of its damage comes from elemental, so matching the SnS to a monster's weakness is key.

Just felled Velkhana today after 4 attempts (jesus I played like complete garbage the first 3 times). Finding the story quite interesting. I'm pretty sure the Old Everwyrn isn't who I thought it was, unfortunately some Youtubers' video titles can be massive spoilers :( Same can be said for the thumbnails too, pretty sure I saw its appearance :(

Way back some months ago I was kind of hoping it was Dalamadur given it's connection to the Rotten Vale. Seemingly very unlikely now :(

Anyway faced the thunder doggo yet? I thought it would have come up by now. No sign of it.

Out of pure curiousity, what time are your average hunts? And by average I mean anything and everything EXCEPT Elder Dragon hunts. I'm averaging anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes given:

a) How well I'm playing

and

b) How many monster buddies decide to show up

FFS I was doing a Glavenus investigation earlier as I was farming its lance, and Brachydios and Fulgur Anjanath show up multiples time TOGETHER. Quest time was only 20 minutes and I FAILED IT. Not because of them, though they didn't help. I had just caught Glavenus in a shock trap, ready to burst the tranq bombs, when I get paralyzed by a f*cking Vespoid! My stupid palico just sits there, doesn't bother to help! I get up, Glavenus gets up, I'm out of traps, Glavenus starts limping away and TIME'S UP!!!!!

DSRF03U48574325762438712923W87657q54FGF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just felled Velkhana today after 4 attempts (jesus I played like complete garbage the first 3 times). Finding the story quite interesting. I'm pretty sure the Old Everwyrn isn't who I thought it was, unfortunately some Youtubers' video titles can be massive spoilers :( Same can be said for the thumbnails too, pretty sure I saw its appearance :(

Way back some months ago I was kind of hoping it was Dalamadur given it's connection to the Rotten Vale. Seemingly very unlikely now :(

Anyway faced the thunder doggo yet? I thought it would have come up by now. No sign of it.

Out of pure curiousity, what time are your average hunts? And by average I mean anything and everything EXCEPT Elder Dragon hunts. I'm averaging anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes given:

a) How well I'm playing

and

b) How many monster buddies decide to show up

FFS I was doing a Glavenus investigation earlier as I was farming its lance, and Brachydios and Fulgur Anjanath show up multiples time TOGETHER. Quest time was only 20 minutes and I FAILED IT. Not because of them, though they didn't help. I had just caught Glavenus in a shock trap, ready to burst the tranq bombs, when I get paralyzed by a f*cking Vespoid! My stupid palico just sits there, doesn't bother to help! I get up, Glavenus gets up, I'm out of traps, Glavenus starts limping away and TIME'S UP!!!!!

DSRF03U48574325762438712923W87657q54FGF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Great story, can relate! Haven't played in about a week as Warcraft has its hooks back into me again. Hunts take from 17-25 minutes for me. I have been using SnS the whole time and once switched to a full burst GL to fight Acidic Glav and i killed him in 14mins. Was one of my faster times for a brand new monster. Last time i played i had to fight my first Elder that wasn't Velkhana. I won't spoil. I think its 2 or 3 quests after the main Velkhana hunt.

When i do get back to play ill be ditching the SnS sadly.

• Advertisement

Great story, can relate! Haven't played in about a week as Warcraft has its hooks back into me again. Hunts take from 17-25 minutes for me. I have been using SnS the whole time and once switched to a full burst GL to fight Acidic Glav and i killed him in 14mins. Was one of my faster times for a brand new monster. Last time i played i had to fight my first Elder that wasn't Velkhana. I won't spoil. I think its 2 or 3 quests after the main Velkhana hunt.

When i do get back to play ill be ditching the SnS sadly.

I'm there now, just putting it off to complete some other quests and farm some gear. As ever, the Guard Up decoration continues to elude me :( So for now I'm forced to run 2 uragaan parts on my armour. Not bad though, only two pieces needed to proc it and it gives me Guard 3 and Offensive Guard 1. My set right now for Lance is Crit Eye 7, Crit Boost 3, Weakness Exploit 3, Guard 3, Guard Up, Offensive Guard 2/3 (depends on the lance I use and if the lance has a level 4 slot so I can fit in an Offensive Guard jewel), Partbreaker 1, plus 1 or 2 others.

Up until recently I've been running Long Sword almost exclusively. Just kinda needed a break from it, so dusted off some of the old lances. Have 2 or 3 fully upgraded to level 10, nearly have the Glavenus lance fully to level 11. Waiting patiently for thunder doggo to finish my thunder lance. I have the tobi kadachi levelled up as far as I can do, but it upgrades further and the materials for it are unknown. I'm convinced it upgrades into Zinogre lance.

I must've played at least 10 hours the last two days, I hadn't played it in almost a week cos of work!

Seriously, f*ck that Old Everwyrm.. .. .. in the face with a nuclear bomb :mad:

Ain't gonna spoil things for anyone that isn't there yet. First few minutes of the hunt is easy enough, but after that.. .. .. FUUUWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Tried it twice. Failed it twice. FML. Try again tomorrow.. .. .. My god though it's only ugly b@st@rd!! !! !!

Word of advice for anyone yet to fight it: when you get to that part of the hunt, do NOT fight it facing it's front. You'll know what I'm on about when you get there.

THAT UGLY B@ST@RD IS DEAD! YESSSSHHH!!! Won't give it away, but the ending is rather cool :D

Good safe strategy for it: wound its rear legs and target them and the tail. Rinse and repeat. As I said before, try and not be near its front. Make as much of the opportunity to flinch it into a wall as you can. There is a stone pile that becomes available at a certain point. Remember, a monster can only be flinched when it's not enraged (the eye icon on the map should be yellow, if it's red it's enraged)

Oh, didn't know that about enrage. Thought you had to study the monster and figure it out. Some if the older monsters have no visible tell when they enrage, compared to Tigrex and Narga who get red eye paint when they do.

It's been about a week since I last played. I think about playing it every day but I always end up starting up Wow when o have free time. Feel obliged to play it, kinda hate that about MMOs

Ow.. .. .. ow.. .. .. ow.. .. .. ow.. .. .. OW!! !! !!

@~}{}!*&^%^!!!!!!!!!

I'm actually sore in real life after facing Rajang for the first time in years. MY GOD he's been dialled up to 11 and then some! I knew he was gonna be an absolute b!tch, but I was not ready for this level of insanity!! I took my lance setup with guard up and guard III thinking it would be a safe enough option. IT WASN'T!! Carted twice, turned off PS4. Will revise strategy for tomorrow. Will be the first time in Iceborne that I'll need to use Guard V. Once he goes super-saiyan, all I can say is: REST IN PEACE!!

The cut scene intro is pretty fricking awesome though!

So the Iceborne expansion is finally out on PC anyone jumping in?

Dcully wrote: »
    So the Iceborne expansion is finally out on PC anyone jumping in?

I was debating making the jump from PS4. But the thoughts of all them hours of grinding again.. .. I know there are mods you can get to cheat in items (which is super tempting cos that f*cking Guard Up deco CONTINUES to evade me) but if means splashing out €80 (base game + Iceborne). Not worth it really. I'll wait for MH World 2!

^ I think they'd be crazy not to go for a sequel in a couple years time given that World is their best selling game of all time.

Been playing all evening, graphics have taken a nice step forward now with direct X 12 in operation on PC version.
    I use mouse and KB too as i mainly play ranged weapons and its noticeable how much they have improved mouse aim, it never felt correct in MHW , more accurate than controller yes but not as well implimented as one would expect but they nailed it with iceborne.
    This looks and plays like a true PC game compared to vanilla MHW, the wait was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I realise I've only put in 21hrs over the past year as I got distracted by umpteen games, but I've got next week off so going to learn MHW for real.
    Might as well make a new character though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I realise I've only put in 21hrs over the past year as I got distracted by umpteen games, but I've got next week off so going to learn MHW for real.
    Might as well make a new character though.

All this chat made me want to play the base game which I've been ignoring for a bit.... That'll be a 79gb patch download cheers and thanks.

Advertisement