Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Affinity is like crit chance. One of my rifles has a 10% Affinity and when i shoot with a pierce round some of the hits on the way through will crit for extra damage. But i think i does something else more than crits, because the Anja rifle has -20% Affinity which doesn't make sense, right?

I've read abit on the forums and it seems raw damage is always better than elemental. I assume its because some monsters have resist to certain elements but raw damage doesn't reduced by anything? But then you have a case of certain monsters being weak to an element which in that case i assume it would be better than simply raw.

Aren't phials related to the Charge Blade? Not to sure on that one

Also you know you can refund materials on weapons? So you don't have to make one of each upgrade type, you can just refund and re-upgrade down a different path. More hassle that way i suppose, or unless you'r the kind of player that likes to build abit of a collection

Well i was just gonna do a switcheroo, but then i said **** it, i have an over abundance of the lower tier mats and it would be good to have two different types in case i came across a heavy fire resistance monster. So the only thing im really hurting in doing it is my cash balance.

But when i was building the Flammenbeil it said in yellow brackets that i wouldnt get my mats back for downgrading it. It appears the downgrading weapons is only useful for the first few tiers.

Anyway, i decided to test the Flammenbeil on a bounty, it was to kill the Jagras, pukei pukei and giant chicken thing, i killed every single one of them where they stood, the damage it done was INSANE. No chasing just tearing them up to death within a minute, either all three are very weak to fire or the base damage this thing does is off the muja fujin chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Star Lord wrote: »
    I don't need it...
    I don't need it...

dxQZXYF.gif

Last day tomorrow Gamestop have PS4 Pro discounted to €370... MH World in Argos for €55 at the moment (€70 in Gamestop, €60 in Smyths, though in the catelogue in Argos it's €64, the stock checker says €55). Trading in old PS3 and WiiU. Don't play consoles anymore, PC only. I'm not a PC master race-er-person-thing but...

I NEED MONSTER HUNTER WORLD IN MY LIFE AND I CANNOT WAIT OVER 6 MONTHS FOR ITS PC RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[cough]

I'm... umm... Gonna walk over here for a moment.

[whistles innocently]

15 hours... the precious... I will have the precious... 15 long hours...

smeagol-my-precious-funny-shoes.jpg

Affinity is like crit chance. One of my rifles has a 10% Affinity and when i shoot with a pierce round some of the hits on the way through will crit for extra damage. But i think i does something else more than crits, because the Anja rifle has -20% Affinity which doesn't make sense, right?

I've read abit on the forums and it seems raw damage is always better than elemental. I assume its because some monsters have resist to certain elements but raw damage doesn't reduced by anything? But then you have a case of certain monsters being weak to an element which in that case i assume it would be better than simply raw.

Aren't phials related to the Charge Blade? Not to sure on that one

Also you know you can refund materials on weapons? So you don't have to make one of each upgrade type, you can just refund and re-upgrade down a different path. More hassle that way i suppose, or unless you'r the kind of player that likes to build abit of a collection

Not always. It depends on the weapon. A general rule of thumb over the years is that element is more important on the more speedy weapons (dual blades, sword and shield, long sword) and raw damage is better on the slower weapons, particularly the great sword. Over the years that's been balanced so element on any weapon is pretty much almost as important as raw, with the great sword possible being the exception again.

All monsters have different weaknesses and strengths against all the elements. Best way in game to see is look at it's armour in the smithy and look at its resistance values to the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

jaxxx wrote: »
    Not always. It depends on the weapon. A general rule of thumb over the years is that element is more important on the more speedy weapons (dual blades, sword and shield, long sword) and raw damage is better on the slower weapons, particularly the great sword. Over the years that's been balanced so element on any weapon is pretty much almost as important as raw, with the great sword possible being the exception again.

All monsters have different weaknesses and strengths against all the elements. Best way in game to see is look at it's armour in the smithy and look at its resistance values to the elements.

Thanks again. Nice to have a pro hunter on boards. In regards to monster weaknesses there is a handy in game hunters notes that reveals monster traits the more you hunt them.

One question is about well done steak and EZ rations. If I eat one steak it's the same as two rations. Why? Haha. Ill just eat the rations every time from now on since they are free.

Oh and the problem I was having earlier with the optional quest was because I didn't capture a Tobi Kadachi. After the capture I unlocked an arena quest to fight him. Happy now :)

Speaking of, I cant seem to bust out the portable spit roast anymore, always has a red X on it in the spatial, i have rations on me, do i need something else to cook?

Also, how do you "capture" your prey? I keep seeing missions to do capture, but havent figured out how to do it yet :(

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Nice to have a pro hunter on boards. In regards to monster weaknesses there is a handy in game hunters notes that reveals monster traits the more you hunt them.

One question is about well done steak and EZ rations. If I eat one steak it's the same as two rations. Why? Haha. Ill just eat the rations every time from now on since they are free.

Oh and the problem I was having earlier with the optional quest was because I didn't capture a Tobi Kadachi. After the capture I unlocked an arena quest to fight him. Happy now :)

Pro? Geez no way. You just know a thing or two when your hunt count exceeds 5 figures :) Rations are only meant as basic stamina recovery items, they recover the same as a cooked steak. Well done steak is the best, so it's one of those items you should always carry with you.

Here's a rough list of what I always carry, though some of these items (if available in World that is) aren't obtainable/craftable early game. All items have different stack sizes, e.g Pots and Mega Pots have 10 each whereas Max Pots only have 2, and each trap only 1.

• Potions
    • MegaPotions
    • Max Potions
    • Lifepowders
    • Well Done Steak
    • Tranq Bombs
    • Pitfall Trap
    • Shock Trap
    • Dung Bombs
    • Mega Pick Axe
    • Mega Bug Net
    • Whetstone (if you're a blademaster, gunners need many different items)

^^ Again I'm assuming all these items return in World, which I have no reason to believe they haven't. Obviously that's just a general list, some hunts and quests may require other items.
    nix wrote: »
    Speaking of, I cant seem to bust out the portable spit roast anymore, always has a red X on it in the spatial, i have rations on me, do i need something else to cook?

Also, how do you "capture" your prey? I keep seeing missions to do capture, but havent figured out how to do it yet :(

Can't cook rations, only raw meat you carve/get from rewards. You can burn the meat, as well as finish cooking it too soon. Takes a little while to get the hang of perfecting a well done steak but it's not too hard. Just timing. -> again I'm assuming the mechanics are same as past games.

As for capturing, see my earlier post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105981806&postcount=141

Also for any other info you need, check out Kiranico:
    https://mhworld.kiranico.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Is it just me or when posting a quest nobody ever joins in?

Maybe I smell.

I’d like to team up, partly as I suck but a bit of craic etc.

I’m only lvl or MR 4 at the minute and they want me to fight Anjanath!!!!

He’s one big ****

Or SoS’s for that matter

Ok so two people joined and 10 minutes later someone cancelled the SoS just before we (cough) they were going to kill him! Argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Maybe I smell.

He’s one big ****

Or SoS’s for that matter

Ok so two people joined and 10 minutes later someone cancelled the SoS just before we (cough) they were going to kill him! Argh.

yea same here, never had anyone join, dont really get the whole online side to this game seems so dated the way its done, i did randomly have two people join my game which was weird, also im really starting to hate this 50 min time limit.

Just hit high rank. Have been using low rarity armour for most of the game so I was gonna farm some parts from the bigger monsters, only to discover now that there is high rank varients of most the armour sets haha. Lucky I didn't grind out the parts for the low rank sets.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    yea same here, never had anyone join, dont really get the whole online side to this game seems so dated the way its done, i did randomly have two people join my game which was weird, also im really starting to hate this 50 min time limit.

That whole mechanism where people can join in is new. Before there were online rooms where people joined and ye embarked on a quest together. The 50 minute time limit has been part of the game since the original MH. If you're getting anywhere near the time limit for normal quests, then that may be a sign that you need a more powerful weapon. It's good practice as well not to just have one weapon, have weapons with different elements. Of course now with World you can reclaim parts from a weapon which is brand new.
    Just hit high rank. Have been using low rarity armour for most of the game so I was gonna farm some parts from the bigger monsters, only to discover now that there is high rank varients of most the armour sets haha. Lucky I didn't grind out the parts for the low rank sets.

Nice. Generally higher ranked armours are better than their lower rank equivalents. Not always though, it depends entirely on the skills the armours come with and what your personal preference for armour skills are.

The only thing I'm disappointed in with World is that there's no G-Rank. The step from Low Rank to High Rank is nowhere near as terrifying as from High to G.

Has anyone fought Kirin yet (if it's available)? If you haven't, be prepared for your weapons to constantly bounce off of its hide :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Maybe I smell.

He’s one big ****

Or SoS’s for that matter

Lone Stone wrote: »

I just fire sos flares and people eventually join, add me on psn, I'll hunt with both of ye!

I just fire sos flares and people eventually join, add me on psn, I'll hunt with both of ye!

Cool fair play.

I have a mate of mine starting the game this evening as well who’ll catch up very quickly.

I got the SoS to work a couple of times last night in fairness. It’s just when it cuts off it’s a pain as the quest fails. I don’t know what causes it. Someone leaves the party maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Best selling Monster Hunter game in history, it has already outsold Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in only its first weekend.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Xenji wrote: »
    Best selling Monster Hunter game in history, it has already outsold Monster Hunter Portable 3rd in only its first weekend.

Not surprising, this seems to have gotten way more press and publicity than previous releases. If i'm completely honest I never heard of the franchise before E3 last year.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not surprising, this seems to have gotten way more press and publicity than previous releases. If i'm completely honest I never heard of the franchise before E3 last year.

You hadn’t heard of it. Really? Sorry I don’t meant to be rude, I’m just surprised.

I never got into them before now but I knew how beloved the franchise was/is. It has a huge following.

I always wanted to give them a go but always had something else to play at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Neither had I tbh.

This is my first experience with Monster Hunter, really enjoying it so far as I slowly get the hang of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In fairness only 5 of the 12 or so Monster Hunter games came west, with a 6 year gap between Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter 3, for some people it could be the first time playing a Monster Hunter game again on a console in 13 years, myself included.

I'm the same as murphy, knew they existed and they were tough but never took the plunge until now. I saw them in the same light/praise as the souls games while on the outside looking in..

Anyway im fully kitted out in Anjanath armour (fully upgraded) and the Weapon Flammenbeil, ready to take on level 5 quest, lol, i think i may have spent too much time farming in these early levels :D

Xenji wrote: »
    In fairness only 5 of the 12 or so Monster Hunter games came west, with a 6 year gap between Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter 3, for some people it could be the first time playing a Monster Hunter game again on a console in 13 years, myself included.

It’s a really huge franchise though in name terms alone I’d say it’s right up there.

But again I don’t mean to be rude in someone not having heard of it.

To be fair if someone asked me what’s in the “pop” charts in music i wouldn’t have a notion which some people find appalling.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah just never popped up non my radar before and seems to have been mainly on platforms I didn't own or care about bar the PS2?

I do love the look of this though, only thing holding me off buying it is it looks a bit like destiny in terms of the repetition involved. I put a lot of time into destiny but I'm not sure I want to end up that addicted to a game again :o

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah just never popped up non my radar before and seems to have been mainly on platforms I didn't own or care about bar the PS2?

I do love the look of this though, only thing holding me off buying it is it looks a bit like destiny in terms of the repetition involved. I put a lot of time into destiny but I'm not sure I want to end up that addicted to a game again :o

I was right there with you on Destiny 1 buzz with over 400 hours logged, although about 100 hours into Destiny 2 it kinda just lost its appeal unfortunately.

Monster Hunter might just scratch that itch though. It’s rare enough that I’d find myself 11 or so hours into a game in such a short period of time. Only thing I can compare it to in that regard is destiny.

It has similarities. Go to hub world pick up bounties, do stuff with gear and go out using upgraded stuff, solo or in a team take down a big boss/monster to get better stuff.

Damn. Now I want to be playing it again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Reserved in argos for tomorrow. I'll be back I'm sure.

Knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Reserved in argos for tomorrow. I'll be back I'm sure.

Hi Dr.Nick!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The hunt welcomes you.......

163.gif

This game... is beautiful... (and I'm not even playing with graphics option, I'm playing with performance options on the PS4 Pro and it looks glorious!)

happy-tears-yes.jpg

Until that is when you're innocently hunting an annoying Kulu-Ya-Ku and you get swarmed by a Great Jagras AND, a goddamn Anjanath! Get the f*******k out you mofos and wait your turn!!! GOD!!

Tomorrow... Pukei-Pukei must DIE... so that I can move on up me quest board! Ah good old urgent quests...

I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Just fought a killed a Pink Rathian. Mother of god that took alot out of me. Used every gadget and buff in my arsenal to take her down, dash potions, armour options, attack options, traps, bombs, you name it. Epic fight which I came close to dying multiple times on my last feint. Should have checked the time length afterwards.

First boss where my weapon seemed to bounce off most of her body.

Just fought a killed a Pink Rathian. Mother of god that took alot out of me. Used every gadget and buff in my arsenal to take her down, dash potions, armour options, attack options, traps, bombs, you name it. Epic fight which I came close to dying multiple times on my last feint. Should have checked the time length afterwards.

First boss where my weapon seemed to bounce off most of her body.

Fair play. How many hours are you in to this out of curiosity?

I only played a bit last night. But it think I’m about 15 hours in now.

It really has that just one more monster thing going on. Before ya know it it’s midnight!!

Fair play. How many hours are you in to this out of curiosity?

I only played a bit last night. But it think I’m about 15 hours in now.

It really has that just one more monster thing going on. Before ya know it it’s midnight!!

41 hours, which is about 5 hours per day since launch. Jesus I have been nolifing it. I read people have finished the game in less hours than that, and it doesn't feel like I'm near the end. I'm doing every mission I can. At first I did alot of Jagras and slaying investigations trying to clear them all until I realised they are almost like infinite quests. I have also killed atleast one of each monster so far and captured atleast one. No rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I've about the same time played, best game I've played in a long time.
    I'm a bit further on though as I haven't bothered with each quest and just moved on to the higher levels when available.
    Just past Nergigante now and I've been farming him but I've had plenty of failed attempts. He has an attack that one hit kills and it also has a massive hitbox. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

is it fun single player? I don't really want to get it if it's one of those "best played in groups" games as my time is too sporadic for that and I just want games I can plug in and play and enjoy without others. The self-checkout of video games, if you will.

Advertisement