Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

well played ,thread..ive bit the bullet..

Another one for the backlog..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Cina wrote: »
    is it fun single player? I don't really want to get it if it's one of those "best played in groups" games as my time is too sporadic for that and I just want games I can plug in and play and enjoy without others. The self-checkout of video games, if you will.

If you're playing solo, the game automatically scales the monsters' health to be lower, whereas if you're playing with others it raises its health. I can't remember exactly how much its raised/lowered but other than that there's no real difference between solo and with others, not that I can recall anyway. It's usually just easier and quicker killing a monster with 4 players online rather than just yourself, particularly Elder Dragons and High Rank quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

So what weapon/armour/charms is everybody rocking?

I cant seem to drop the switch axe, it just has so much variation in its attacks and it just seems the most devastating. I tried the long sword last night, the lightning variant on the arena Anjanath, great move set but just lacking damage wise compared to the switch. I'm up for recommendations as id like another go to weapon to mix it up..might go back to the glaive..

Charms, i havent looked into much, just picked up the Attack charm I, not sure what would be better, attack is always good :)

Armour wise im rocking the full Anjanath armour set, fully upgraded, i can take a beating before needing to heal, so far anyway. I think im over geared for the level quests im doing, im only on level 4, currently kicking it and just moved into the coral highlands..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

jaxxx wrote: »
    If you're playing solo, the game automatically scales the monsters' health to be lower, whereas if you're playing with others it raises its health. I can't remember exactly how much its raised/lowered but other than that there's no real difference between solo and with others, not that I can recall anyway. It's usually just easier and quicker killing a monster with 4 players online rather than just yourself, particularly Elder Dragons and High Rank quests.

It multiplies the monster's health by about 2.6 times when you play in multiplayer.

When fighting Nergigante I found it was much easier to kill him solo seeing as most of the multiplayer attempts ended in failure due to people dying. Palicos and Grimalkynes are a big help too when going solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Rathalos has arrived, looking forward to getting stuck into this over the weekend.

28kkmix.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm EXTREMELY jealous. Nicest special edition yet by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

nix wrote: »

I've been switching between the Heavybow and the gunlance. The ammo mechanic of the lance is lots of fun. Tried the longsword and found it spamming. It's a case of do this combo to build meter, then this one to use meter, then this one for ultimate move. Super boring. Also tested the Short sword, it's great fun with lots of variation in combos and how and when to use them and it has blunt and slash damage. For sure gonna use it more once I get mats for a good upgrade.

I was excited about the Charge blade before the game came out and planned to use it, But once the beta released and it revealed how overpowered it was I steered well clear. Tend to avoid game breaking stuff and just stick with what's fun. The extra difficulty is just icing on the cake

Thanks, now i feel like a pussy :mad:

I'll use the bow with normal ammo 1, ya happy now? :rolleyes::p

EDIT: My bad, im using the switch axe, not charge blade :P

I cant seem to drop the switch axe, it just has so much variation in its attacks and it just seems the most devastating. I tried the long sword last night, the lightning variant on the arena Anjanath, great move set but just lacking damage wise compared to the switch. I'm up for recommendations as id like another go to weapon to mix it up..might go back to the glaive..

Charms, i havent looked into much, just picked up the Attack charm I, not sure what would be better, attack is always good :)

Armour wise im rocking the full Anjanath armour set, fully upgraded, i can take a beating before needing to heal, so far anyway. I think im over geared for the level quests im doing, im only on level 4, currently kicking it and just moved into the coral highlands..

I don't even have charms yet >< About when did you get your first? I've my Anjanath urgent tomorrow (I say tomorrow cos I've played too much today XD)and I haven't seen a hint of a charm yet. I must say the whole charm/armour skill setup is much easier now than it used to be. Going forward I'll be using mixed sets because of this, so much easier.

GIMME CHARMS GOSH DARNIT!

My weapon philosophy is to use a single type of weapon (always start with LS as I find it easiest and quickest for solo hunts) up until I've reached high rank and am rich with materials. Then I expand out to hammer/lance/gunlance/SA/bow.

As well as Anjanath tomorrow I have the egg quest to increase my canteen quality... I HATE EGG QUESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now it's just herbivore eggs, so at least I won't have a frickin' Rathian chasing after me!

I don't even have charms yet >< About when did you get your first? I've my Anjanath urgent tomorrow (I say tomorrow cos I've played too much today XD)and I haven't seen a hint of a charm yet. I must say the whole charm/armour skill setup is much easier now than it used to be. Going forward I'll be using mixed sets because of this, so much easier.

My weapon philosophy is to use a single type of weapon (always start with LS as I find it easiest and quickest for solo hunts) up until I've reached high rank and am rich with materials. Then I expand out to hammer/lance/gunlance/SA/bow.

As well as Anjanath tomorrow I have the egg quest to increase my canteen quality... I HATE EGG QUESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now it's just herbivore eggs, so at least I won't have a frickin' Rathian chasing after me!

The Rathian egg quest is lots of fun. Lots of sliding in the ancient forest. The herbivore one you can just equip the ghillie mantle and you won't be attacked

• Advertisement

I prefer to sit back and let them settle their differences themselves.

Shortly after the zorah magdalos or whatever its called level

The Rathian egg quest is lots of fun. Lots of sliding in the ancient forest. The herbivore one you can just equip the ghillie mantle and you won't be attacked

Oh yeah didn't even think of that. I've used it only once thus far when I was fighting Tobi Kadachi and Anjanath popped up to say hello. Crawled right under the b*st*rd while following TK :D
    I prefer to sit back and let them settle their differences themselves.

I lol'd at 1:13. Legiana is just like, "Naw f*ck this"

Shortly after the zorah magdalos or whatever its called level

Ah cheers. Not too far so.

Seems I missed a bunch of sub quests by not doing expeditions. Going back over low rank expeditions to get them. One important one is extra gadgets for Palicos. Search for doodles then when you get to tracking them you can pin them by clicking on them in the map screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'm EXTREMELY jealous. Nicest special edition yet by far.

Not to be a dick or anything, but in my opinion, its not the greatest looking special edition. It would look so much better in white. Pink controller kind of out of place all together.

Still, not too take away from a lovely new toy like ps4 pro. I hope they will enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not to be a dick or anything, but in my opinion, its not the greatest looking special edition. It would look so much better in white. Pink controller kind of out of place all together.

Still, not too take away from a lovely new toy like ps4 pro. I hope they will enjoy it!

The controller is a deep red, lighting is doing it no favours.

Seems I missed a bunch of sub quests by not doing expeditions. Going back over low rank expeditions to get them. One important one is extra gadgets for Palicos. Search for doodles then when you get to tracking them you can pin them by clicking on them in the map screen.

What? How? I found loads of doodles in the forest zone at the start but havent seen any in ages there or in any zones after :(

What? How? I found loads of doodles in the forest zone at the start but havent seen any in ages there or in any zones after :(

Things you have started to track appear on the bottom left of the map as icons with track bars. R3 to pin to for tracking.

Just did the Coral highlands and there doesn't appear to be any Palicos tribes there

lol literally found the next part as soon as i went back to forest, lil furball running about in the trees, i saw him before but didnt bother chasing, didnt think it was part of the doodles thing.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Xenji wrote: »
    The controller is a deep red, lighting is doing it no favours.

I was think it was dark red alright.

I don't watch unboxing very much but this I did.

Again, jealous.

• Advertisement

Just found this online. May come in handy for anyone that wants it. It's a weakness chart for monsters. MH World gives us the resource hub so this kinda thing isn't as necessary anymore, but I just like having a small printout to hand for weaknesses. Not sure if all monsters are included here and one is missing data, but you may find it handy.

http://teambrg.com/monster-hunter-world/mhw-monster-elemental-weakness-table/

Currently using the Barroth Blaster I which has paralysis element of 90 and affinity of -10% The paralysis was locked before i made a charm that gave me the unlock element skill or whatever its called. Anyway, i have never paralyzed a monster with this weapon. Does it actually inflict paralysis? Or is it damage only?

Another one was the Radobaan HR armour. It has added sleep build up skill on some of the pieces. Would that work right off the bat with just the armour skill? Or would i need a weapon that has sleep element and the armour just augments that element?

On another note, i just failed a hunt to a LR Odogaron. Was shocked until i realized my Palico had a gadget thats designed for farming parts from a monster and not actually helping you in combat with heals or buffs. That being said, Palico heals are OP :eek:

Currently using the Barroth Blaster I which has paralysis element of 90 and affinity of -10% The paralysis was locked before i made a charm that gave me the unlock element skill or whatever its called. Anyway, i have never paralyzed a monster with this weapon. Does it actually inflict paralysis? Or is it damage only?

Another one was the Radobaan HR armour. It has added sleep build up skill on some of the pieces. Would that work right off the bat with just the armour skill? Or would i need a weapon that has sleep element and the armour just augments that element?

On another note, i just failed a hunt to a LR Odogaron. Was shocked until i realized my Palico had a gadget thats designed for farming parts from a monster and not actually helping you in combat with heals or buffs. That being said, Palico heals are OP :eek:

Yeah i picked up some more gadgets for my palico but i just cant drop the heals for them, they are just too handy.

I just done the legiana quest (had killed him earlier on when i first seen him), used the lightning long sword to tear him up, i like the long sword move set, the combos look badass, ive ended a few combos by leaping high into the air and slamming the sword down on the monsters back or head, looks ****ing terrific, reminds me of clouds omnislash from FF7 when you pull the whole thing off :D

I'm now rocking the lumu armour, purely for how it looks :p

I did see the odogaron earlier when doing the quest to capture the blow-bat, he looks pretty darn scary, is he hard?

The odogaron was actually very manageable, although the message that popped up to get rid of the bleed effect went by too fast for me to read it in the middle of feckin combat, that happens alot actually..

I tried the kirin there, expecting a cake walk, that is a whole new level of nasty right there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I picked this up yesterday but was knackered tired after my holiday so only played for an hour. Stuck it on again earlier before work. I'm finding it a bit confusing. Been using the dual weapons as I preferred them in the training room. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. Only been on 2 hunts so far which were simple enough but I'm not expecting that to last for long.

Yeah you need a weapon with sleep and the armour skill would increase its potency.
    The paralysis stat on weapons is purely for paralysing monsters.
    With paralysis damage of 90, each succesful hit will do 9 paralysis build up damage, but it procs 33% of the time.
    Say you have a monster with 150 paralysis resistance, you would need 17 successful hits or roughly 51 normal hits.
    This is before you take into account your paralysis build up damage slowly wears off over time too.

I find the flash gadget the best, especially for flying monsters, drops them out of the sky. Plus with the flash gadget your palico also lays shock traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

how do you level up the skills on your armor ?

Lone Stone wrote: »
    how do you level up the skills on your armor ?

So far it seems like you can't. All the low rank armour have one level in an armour skill. But high rank stuff has up to 3 on some items as far as I can see. Haven't levelled up any HR armour yet so not sure if it increases skill levels.

Charms on the other hand increase skill levels when you level then up, but they require alot of materials per level

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's so much to learn, remember and consider. My brain is sore. It's a great game, all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SolidNut

Things you have started to track appear on the bottom left of the map as icons with track bars. R3 to pin to for tracking.

Just did the Coral highlands and there doesn't appear to be any Palicos tribes there

There are Palicos tribes in both the Coral Highlands and the Rotten Vale.

The ones in the Coral Highlands. You need to run about in expiration and a group of palicos on samos will attack you in a cave..Think near the area the palomo brid thing spawns. Haven't got a map to tell the area exactly.

Haven't got the ones in the rotton vale yet.. but in the lowest level there's a lyrain researcher that says there are a gang of them going about that are called protectors.

(Edit: Zone 10 or 8 in the Coral Highlands, there Base it's in zone 11.. the top right hand corner.

In the process of befriending the ones in the rotten vale. Bring raw meat... .Made a mistake on their names.. called the plunderers not the Protectors)

Advertisement