Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options
  • 09-12-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

And free beer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Supply tent and be held accountable.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Supply tent and be held accountable.

No thanks.

accountable to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.

Naaaaa.... that would be a practical but implicit recognition of failure, what the homeless really need is another well paid series of quangos....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

accountable to what?

Zip injuries to the micky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Homeless service in Dublin do give out sleeping bags when there's no more beds available for the night from the freephone. Most rough sleepers in urban areas don't like tents as you are vulnerable due to not being able to see what's going on around you and not being able to get out of them quickly.

I see plenty of tents in the Phoenix Park on my commute to work in the mornings though, sadly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

They do provide sleeping bags , not great quality.
    However ideally moving away from sleeping bags would probably be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Because nobody wants tents and homeless people in their area. NIMBY.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

conorhal wrote: »
    Naaaaa.... that would be a practical but implicit recognition of failure, what the homeless really need is another well paid series of quangos....

We need a Tent feasibility study with a highly paid consultant carrying it out which will take a year. We also need a planning team to work out the best place to erect tents. An interdepartmental team is also needed to correlate the findings of the other teams and consultants. This will be then all scrapped in 2019 after being found to be unfeasible after the entire budget of €40 million was wasted on fees.

They do provide sleeping bags , not great quality.
    However ideally moving away from sleeping bags would probably be the best option.

of course, thats waht we all want to move to ultimately - surely its got to happen one day where there will be no homeless whatsoever.

They do need shelter from the elements. Sleeping bags and shop doorways dont offer protection from the elements/weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

conorhal wrote: »
    Naaaaa.... that would be a practical but implicit recognition of failure,

Nail on the head there. The current housing crises is the result of the failed policy of privatisation of social housing.

Profit for the capitalists,sleeping bags and death in doorways for poor people.

We need a Tent feasibility study with a highly paid consultant carrying it out which will take a year. We also need a planning team to work out the best place to erect tents. An interdepartmental team is also needed to correlate the findings of the other teams and consultants. This will be then all scrapped in 2019 after being found to be unfeasible after the entire budget of €40 million was wasted on fees.

yep that sounds about right - everything needs to have a feasibility study carried out first and loads of money wasted!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Oddly enough, my mate from Sligo organises lots of this stuff for the homeless, not this Andy from Sligo chap... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seriously though,the councils own lots of land,how much would it cost to set up a mobile home park where at least the homeless would have their own space to live in? They can build fully serviced halting sites for travellers in no length,why not similarly designed sites complete with caravans and mobile homes to house homeless individuals and families.
    It would be a temporary solution and eventually the land would be built on to provide housing.

Because nobody wants tents and homeless people in their area. NIMBY.

a row of tents and a big sign saying "tents supplied by???? county council" (or town centre shop/ business establishment) will make them look good and give them kudos

People will at least think that the homeless is not being ignored altogether

Seriously though,the councils own lots of land,how much would it cost to set up a mobile home park where at least the homeless would have their own space to live in? They can build fully serviced halting sites for travellers in no length,why not similarly designed sites complete with caravans and mobile homes to house homeless individuals and families.
    It would be a temporary solution and eventually the land would be built on to provide housing.

yeah i like the sound of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The FMV Trust and Simon have provided warm beds and warm food for all possible rough sleepers
    They’ve appealed to the public to report any rough sleepers to then.
    I don’t know what Benefit a tent city in Stephens green would be.

Solving the homelessness problem the Richard the 3rd way. Now is the winter of our discounted tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

RustyNut wrote: »
    Nail on the head there. The current housing crises is the result of the failed policy of privatisation of social housing.

Profit for the capitalists,sleeping bags and death in doorways for poor people.

So there was no homeless when the government built social housing???

Liar!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's not the type of gear a lot of them want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It won't help, the homeless figures are hugely boasted by single mothers living in B&Bs and hotels, the very few rough sleepers is usually by choice caused by a mental illness or addiction. Giving rough sleepers tents and such would most likely be pawned off for drink or drug money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a row of tents and a big sign saying "tents supplied by???? county council" (or town centre shop/ business establishment) will make them look good and give them kudos

Homelessness gets more attention than all other social issue combined at this stage. The solution is not sleeping bags or more money for homelessness charities. The solutions are;
    a) house building projects on a massive scale - the state needs to get back in the business of housing it's citizens irrespective of income.
    b) ban tenant refusal of social housing provided within reason.
    c) tax the sheit out of anyone hording land and tax the sheit out of vacant properties. County councils are the biggest culprit here.
    d) introduce proper structures around long term renting
    Homelessness charities can achieve non of the above (nor would they want to as they'd be out of a job) It's all up to government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Let me make sure I've got this right; you propose creating a ghetto for those with alcohol/substance/mental health issues so severe that they refuse to engage with the plethora of services already available to them (to the extent that they would rather sleep in doorways/under bridges than in a hostel) ?

What could possibly go wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So there was no homeless when the government built social housing???

Liar!

that's not what he said, but of course you know that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fr McVerry is on the Ray D'Arcy Show RTE 1 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Let me make sure I've got this right; you propose creating a ghetto for those with alcohol/substance/mental health issues so severe that they refuse to engage with the plethora of services already available to them (to the extent that they would rather sleep in doorways/under bridges than in a hostel) ?

it's not only just those with alcohol/substance/mental health issues who refuse to sleep in a hostel. many people who would be on the streets for other reasons refuse to use them because they are not safe and little is done to make them safe.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Homelessness gets more attention than all other social issue combined at this stage. The solution is not sleeping bags or more money for homelessness charities. The solutions are;
    a) house building projects on a massive scale - the state needs to get back in the business of housing it's citizens irrespective of income.
    b) ban tenant refusal of social housing provided within reason.
    c) tax the sheit out of anyone hording land and tax the sheit out of vacant properties. County councils are the biggest culprit here.
    d) introduce proper structures around long term renting
    Homelessness charities can achieve non of the above (nor would they want to as they'd be out of a job) It's all up to government.

Social housing does need to be built but not on a wide scale .We need to be looking at why people are looking for social housing .There's always going to be people who social housing but we need to move away from the generational mindset some have who believe they should be housed by the state because their grandparents, parents were and so should they.

There's actually a probably with a limited number of individuals prepared to brazen it out and live in homeless hostels for up to right years for social housing in efect making themself homeless.

Absolutely on proper rent structure , it should be possible to lock in to five , ten and twenty year leases.

Homeless charities are housing people through housing associations and with some getting housed in private rented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It won't help, the homeless figures are hugely boasted by single mothers living in B&Bs and hotels, the very few rough sleepers is usually by choice caused by a mental illness or addiction. Giving rough sleepers tents and such would most likely be pawned off for drink or drug money.

I don't know what you mean by 'boasted' but anyone in temporary/insecure accommodation is still homeless, ie they have no stable accommodation, so your comment makes no sense.

Plenty of rough sleepers (especially younger/new homeless and those not using drugs/alcohol) won't use the hostels because they are dangerous and prefer the streets. Now, just think how bad some of those hostels must be to actively choose to sleep on a street in this weather. Then come back and make a glib FG like remark about homelessness not being a problem.

it's not only just those with alcohol/substance/mental health issues who refuse to sleep in a hostel. many people who would be on the streets for other reasons refuse to use them because they are not safe and little is done to make them safe.

I'm social care worker in homeless services , hostels are not for the faint hearted but what you're saying about them not being safe and that there is little being done to make them safe is just not true.
    There's quite a few different types of accommodation provided , it's worth investigating what's there before posting like that.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

I don't know what you mean by 'boasted' but anyone in temporary/insecure accommodation is still homeless, ie they have no stable accommodation, so your comment makes no sense.

Plenty of rough sleepers (especially younger/new homeless and those not using drugs/alcohol) won't use the hostels because they are dangerous and prefer the streets. Now, just think how bad some of those hostels must be to actively choose to sleep on a street in this weather. Then come back and make a glib FG like remark about homelessness not being a problem.

Your second paragraph is just not true.

Advertisement