Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Your second paragraph is just not true.

I think i'd take Peter McVerrys word on it :

Fr Peter McVerry told RTE that a lot of homeless people are refusing to stay in emergency accommodation because of the danger element, including intimidation and drug-taking.

Speaking on Today with Keelin Shanley, Fr McVerry described the predicament of many homeless people:
    "They sleep with their runners under their pillow because they're afraid they will be robbed.

"The tragedy is that some of the emergency hostels are so unsafe that people feel safer sleeping somewhere like Stephen's Green."

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.

If there are beds available to them, why the need for tents or sleeping bags?

Good bit of money in it, bound to benefit someone to not fix it properly :

More than €142 million is to be spent providing homeless services in 2018

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-city-budget-of-917m-biggest-since-2009-1.3290714

Nice if you've a hotel, the guests might not complain it needs a bit of paint :

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Let me make sure I've got this right; you propose creating a ghetto for those with alcohol/substance/mental health issues so severe that they refuse to engage with the plethora of services already available to them (to the extent that they would rather sleep in doorways/under bridges than in a hostel) ?

What could possibly go wrong there.

My husband and I are sitting here discussing this.
    It’s as if people have been brainwashed by the media and left wing nonsense.
    Fully grown adults think that there are families with small children huddled in doorways after being evicted while the Taoiseach and Minister for housing enjoy another Christmas party .
    It’s insane.
    If kind, patient, mostly volunteers can not persuade men and women away from choosing a doorway tonight then why on earth would they get into your tent city?

• Advertisement

Just making stuff up to fit neatly in the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It won't help, the homeless figures are hugely boasted by single mothers living in B&Bs and hotels, the very few rough sleepers is usually by choice caused by a mental illness or addiction. Giving rough sleepers tents and such would most likely be pawned off for drink or drug money.

Sad to say but you are right.
    Solving homelessness is a hard issue I hear. On paper you think it would be as easy as building houses and getting people in courses or jobs.

Much harder than that.

elperello wrote: »
    Fr McVerry is on the Ray D'Arcy Show RTE 1 tonight.

Fr McVerry says young people still living at home because they can’t afford to move out are homeless.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

gctest50 wrote: »

I think i'd take Peter McVerrys word on it :

Fr Peter McVerry told RTE that a lot of homeless people are refusing to stay in emergency accommodation because of the danger element, including intimidation and drug-taking.

Speaking on Today with Keelin Shanley, Fr McVerry described the predicament of many homeless people:
    "They sleep with their runners under their pillow because they're afraid they will be robbed.

"The tragedy is that some of the emergency hostels are so unsafe that people feel safer sleeping somewhere like Stephen's Green."

I'm not sure when he last did a night shift , but like I said they're not for the faint hearted but lockers are provided for valubles.

Again it's worth investigating the different types of hostels.

They vary from one night only , rolling beds , Short term accommodation, temporary emergency , private emergency and so on.

I've worked in quite a few a never felt threatened or been attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

splinter65 wrote: »
    Fully grown adults think that there are families with small children huddled in doorways after being evicted while the Taoiseach and Minister for housing enjoy another Christmas party .
    It’s insane.
    If kind, patient, mostly volunteers can not persuade men and women away from choosing a doorway tonight then why on earth would they get into your tent city?

Exactly, couldn't put it better myself.

Jonathan corrie sold 2 houses and refused accommodation the night he died.

How his death is the governments fault is beyond me.

• Advertisement

It’s insane.

Exactly, couldn't put it better myself.

Jonathan corrie sold 2 houses and refused accommodation the night he died.

How his death is the governments fault is beyond me.

Jonathan Corrie died from an overdose having earlier refused support from an outreach who would attempted to place him in a one night only bed.

We need to get away from the " he had two houses " statement , he was an addict living rough when he died .
    You're correct , nothing to do with the government.

I'm not sure when he last did a night shift , but like I said they're not for the faint hearted but lockers are provided for valubles.

They vary from one night only , rolling beds , Short term accommodation, temporary emergency , private emergency and so on.

Your being called a liar here because your testimony isn’t on message.

........... but like I said they're not for the faint hearted

Well, the faint hearted and anyone else should feel safe there

They getting enough money between this and much much more :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...2009-1.3290714

and........ you are....... say .... an 8 stone woman then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So is the €200k donated to the illegal occupation of Apollo House last Christmas still resting in someone's account?

Maybe that should be freed up and given to some real charities or buy tents.

So is the €200k donated to the illegal occupation of Apollo House last Christmas still resting in someone's account?

Maybe that should be freed up and given to some real charities or buy tents.

That priest that does the free food could probably do with the place being refurbished too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That priest that does the free food could probably do with the place being refurbished too.

That's a great idea actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think another issue with tents/sleeping bags is if the council did give them out they'd have to go around in the morning and tidy up!

I think another issue with tents/sleeping bags is if the council did give them out they'd have to go around in the morning and tidy up!

No I think the many many well wishers and concerned citizens who think that something like “a tent city in every town center” is what’s needed will be happy to keep the encampments tidy and safe and clean on a kind of a rota basis. No?
    There shouldn’t be much cleaning up though. It’s not as if any of the rough sleepers have substance abuse issues or anger management issues, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

There needs to be a clearer distinction made between rough sleepers and people/families in hotel/b&b/hub accommodation.

Some rough sleepers are well aware of the supports available to them and for any number of reasons decide not to avail of them. Their complex individual needs need to be addressed before setting them up with other supports such as training, finding employment then ultimately securing somewhere permanent to live.

The issue of people/families in hotel/b&b/hub accommodation is much more complex. For every person/family who has been evicted from their home or priced out of the rental market there are any number of people/families who expect everything to be handed to them for little or nothing.
    Any person/family who has genuinely made some kind of effort to keep up with mortgage repayments should not be evicted. Rents should be capped and based on the house itself (2 bed or 3 bed etc) and not on location.

As for those on the gravy train, if you have kids and they are not in school and you're not working and you want a free house then be prepared to move away from mammy and daddy and accept a place down the country if its offered to you and start contributing to society. I'd love to live closer to my family but I couldn't afford to so I bought a house elsewhere. I'd love to have more than 1 child but at the moment I can't really afford it.

After the Toy Show last week I saw people slating Tubridy and RTE for exploiting a homeless child but what about the kids who's mother or father goes to the papers and has their picture taken in a hotel or smaller house to see if they can jump a few places on the housing lists. Surely that's more exploitative?

I am (probably gonna get slated for this) sick of hearing homeless this and social housing that I am by no means a fan of the current government but if people don't want to engage with the services that are there or don't want to at least meet the supports halfway then it's a waste of everyone's time

........... but like I said they're not for the faint hearted

Well, the faint hearted and anyone else should feel safe there

They getting enough money between this and much much more :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...2009-1.3290714

and........ you are....... say .... an 8 stone woman then ?

Is there a point to what you're posting at all ?

• Advertisement

Your being called a liar here because your testimony isn’t on message.

I'm a bit dopey , what does " on message " mean , please ?

yip, bit by bit so ......

What physical size are you roughly ( height, weight etc ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

As for those on the gravy train, if you have kids and they are not in school and you're not working and you want a free house then be prepared to move away from mammy and daddy and accept a place down the country if its offered to you and start contributing to society.

i'm afraid for these people to accept a place down the country is not viable to the tax payer and local services, which would need to be bolstered hugely to cope with all these people. the areas where these people live are the best placed to support these people. if you want people moved to the country and to be then able to contribute to society then you have to be prepared to pay among the highest level of tax in the world, to provide dublin levels of services to even the most rural area. even then the state would be bankrupt so it would have been all for nothing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sort out the mental health services these lads arnt right heading out onto the streets and street life just compounds their issues

If the 120 million a year funding was focused directly on the root cause we would have far less people in doorways

yip, bit by bit so ......

What physical size are you roughly ( height, weight etc ) ?

I wonder are you trying to suggest that small , young male and female staff are intimidated and feel threatened because their size while dealing homeless individuals who let's face it are amongst the most vulnerable in society.

I'm employed because of education , skillset and experience and not another thing.

My age , height , weight all mean nothing.

Go have a look at the definition of " social care worker " ?

I wonder are you trying to suggest that small , young male and female staff are intimidated and feel threatened because their size while dealing homeless individuals who let's face it are amongst the most vulnerable in society.

I'm not referring to staff at all.

What size are you ? Average, above average ?

I'm not referring to staff at all.

What size are you ? Average, above average ?

Are you going to get to your point tonight or sometime tomorrow?

His answer will get the point across

Still waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Inflatable sleeping-bag-jacket via pinterest link looks interesting:

sbag03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It won't help, the homeless figures are hugely boasted by single mothers living in B&Bs and hotels, the very few rough sleepers is usually by choice caused by a mental illness or addiction. Giving rough sleepers tents and such would most likely be pawned off for drink or drug money.

yes, i was wondering that as well - mind you if the tents were secury anchored down ....

Advertisement