Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Fr McVerry says young people still living at home because they can’t afford to move out are homeless.
    That is all.

Not quite...but to think there aren't social implications down the line if things continue in that vein you're in dreamland.

If people can't move out, they'll move on. They'll emigrate.
    What use is a job here if it won't pay enough to put a roof over your head in the form of a house purchase and be at the whim of a landlord and the almighty 'market'?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So are we ever going to find out why size matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have serious issues with hotel dwellers holding on for a house they are not homeless in my eyes

But the lads on the street would I deny them a poxy sleeping bag or a tent on a night like tonight

No chance

I pay commercial rates in this city

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

it's not only just those with alcohol/substance/mental health issues who refuse to sleep in a hostel. many people who would be on the streets for other reasons refuse to use them because they are not safe and little is done to make them safe.

yep i have heard this as well - comes to something when its actually safer on the streets than spending a night in a hostel or shelter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

There's plenty of spare beds and couches in the country.
    Why don't the do gooders take them in and offer a homeless person one? Surely it'd be better for them sleeping on someone's couch or spare bed where they're warm than in a doorway.
    I'm sure the poor homeless would appreciate it more than some soup and a sleeping bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

yep i have heard this as well - comes to something when its actually safer on the streets than spending a night in a hostel or shelter!

Can you imagine walking into a hostel nowhere else to go surrounded by smack heads alcoholics and you are trying to deal with what's going on in your own head

worse than any horror film

It also doesn't help when hostels are understaffed and allowed to be wet hostels this enables those with addictions instead of being a stepping stone to recovery.

So the choice for some trying to recover is either stay in a wet hostel where drink and drugs are everywhere and not enough staff to monitor it or sleep outside.

Then you also have those who go into hostels as homeless to deal or intimidate those staying in the hostels who are trying to get their lives together.

Then you have the repeat homeless people who have been and will be for years gone by and year to come be homeless and it has become their lifestyle.

Homelessness has always been here and will always be here.

You can house everyone who is homeless tonight and give them all houses and tomorrow the next group of homeless will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have serious issues with hotel dwellers holding on for a house they are not homeless in my eyes

But the lads on the street would I deny them a poxy sleeping bag or a tent on a night like tonight

No chance

I pay commercial rates in this city

The plan with those in hotels is to move them into family hubs with one of the criteria is that you are prepared to look for private rented rather than hang on for social housing.

It also doesn't help when hostels are understaffed and allowed to be wet hostels this enables those with addictions instead of being a stepping stone to recovery.

So the choice for some trying to recover is either stay in a wet hostel where drink and drugs are everywhere and not enough staff to monitor it or sleep outside.

Then you also have those who go into hostels as homeless to deal or intimidate those staying in the hostels who are trying to get their lives together.

Then you have the repeat homeless people who have been and will be for years gone by and year to come be homeless and it has become their lifestyle.

You can house everyone who is homeless tonight and give them all houses and tomorrow the next group of homeless will appear.

I think there's one wet hostel in the city , there's a load of different types of hostels not all have active addicts/residents with mental ill health etc.
    The type of support varies hugely.

I think there's one wet hostel in the city , there's a load of different types of hostels not all have active addicts/residents with mental ill health etc.

One official wet hostel.

You go into every single homeless hostel in the country and you will find drink and drugs are in rampant use with those hostels.

Every single one of those hostels are understaffed.

• Advertisement

That kind of learned helplessness is the trademark of the current govt. Ah shur what can you do only throw your hands in the air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.

They might want to try providing housing

That kind of learned helplessness is the trademark of the current govt. Ah shur what can you do only throw your hands in the air?

Ok so give us the answer that will end homeless here in Ireland right now.

No Country has ever solved homelessness.

One official wet hostel.

You go into every single homeless hostel in the country and you will find drink and drugs are in rampant use with those hostels.

Every single one of those hostels are understaffed.

That's not true , I work in a homeless hostel.

What's not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

No point providing housing if you don't provide the supports for them to stay in the housing.. address the issues which lead to them becoming homeless, help them get training to get a job and help them become more self sufficient.

What's not true?

That hostels are understaffed and rampant with drug use and alcohol use.

Give someone with an addiction or mental issue a house no problem.

Then within 6 months of the addiction kicks in and they start not to pay the rent until they are evicted.

Give someone with mental issue a house awesome no problem the leave them to there own devices until it becomes to much for them.

It's not a housing issue it is the support system for addiction and mental health that needs to be funded.

Really I know of 4 hostel in the southeast that have one staff member on duty for 16 hour shifts alone 365 days a year they work from 5p to 9 am on there own with the number of service user between 11 and 24 staying every night.

You may work in the lucky hostel that is over staffed then.

So none of the service users in the hostel you work in drink or do drugs at night while in the hostel?

Ok so give us the answer that will end homeless here in Ireland right now.

No Country has ever solved homelessness.

So you're saying there's no problem therefore we do nothing?

The sheer numbers of shuffling wrecks and junkies and street sleepers...ah sure they've been here for years upon years, haven't they? Just a normal part of Irish urban life?

Sure it'll be grand, won't it all work out in the end?

• Advertisement

So you're saying there's no problem therefore we do nothing?

The sheer numbers of shuffling wrecks and junkies and street sleepers.
    ..ah sure they've been here for years upon years, haven't they? Just a normal part of Irish urban life?

Sure it'll be grand, won't it all work out in the end?

That is an addiction issue not a homeless issue.

Blame the government for someone's personal choice to use drugs that's an easy blame game.

No point providing housing if you don't provide the supports for them to stay in the housing.. address the issues which lead to them becoming homeless, help them get training to get a job and help them become more self sufficient.

All of the above costs money of course, but it'll cost us anyway if nothing is done...just differently.

Really I know of 4 hostel in the southeast that have one staff member on duty for 16 hour shifts alone 365 days a year they work from 5p to 9 am on there own with the number of service user between 11 and 24 staying every night.

You may work in the lucky hostel that is over staffed then.

So none of the service users in the hostel you work in drink or do drugs at night while in the hostel?

Don't work in the southeast , there's quite large teams in the hostels I've worked in.

Night staff do checks all thrugh the night , there are drug users and people alcohol issues , there are significant numbers who don't drink at all , lots more stable on methadone.
    Occasionally you get chaotic drug users .
    If any staff members sees any resident with alcohol or any paraphernalia you're asked to dispose of it.There's certainly no rampant drug or alcohol use , easily managed.

There's significant numbers who have addiction or alcohol issues at all. Night's are often very quite.

I'm not sure whose running those hostels in the SE , I Could guess though.

That is an addiction issue not a homeless issue.

Blame the government for someone's personal choice to use drugs that's an easy blame game.

If there's no investment in educating and otherwise stopping people from getting addicted in the first place and investing in adequate supports when they do, you shouldn't be surprised to see this problem.

If there's no investment in educating and otherwise stopping people from getting addicted in the first place and investing in adequate supports when they do, you shouldn't be surprised to see this problem.

The government does provide the investment and education but it is ignored and then they get blamed.

Where does personal responsibility come then and parents educating their children?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shazzler77998

Some of you are so brainwashed, you haven't got a clue.
    I'm homeless, and I'm in my late 20s.
    I'm not an addict or an alcoholic, infact I don't drink or take drugs.
    I'm lucky i'v a friend who's putting me up through this cold weather snap. If it wasn't for them i'd be dieing on the streets.
    I'v stayed in alot of the hostels in the city centre,
    The Bru, Merchants quay, cedar house, Portobello house, Little Britain to name but a few, you can't blame the staff(well some of them) but you wouldn't let a dog live in them.
    Try being sober and homeless, and share a mat on a floor with 30 others, mostly addicts, Gearing up in front of you, leaving needles beside you, defecating and vomiting where you sleep, needle bins in showers and the bathrooms. The little valubles you have are been robbed on a daily basis. Mentally your been put through it by the minute.
    You get no help from the local authority, just the usual, "apply for the HAP". I have done and its literally impossible to find a place.
    Id rather take my chances on the streets than hostels, I feel safer. They need certain hostels for different types of people. Addicts/alcoholics/mental health and people who are just homeless needs to be seperated into different hostels.
    Im homeless because of circumstances , I cant get a job because its been so long since my last one(recession, i was completely unemployed for 6 years), that noone even replys to my CVS. I do cv drops daily, and the looks I get from from some potential employers would leave you not wanting to go again.
    If I cant get a job I cant afford somewhere to live. This is modern day Ireland, and its a joke. Those in government are the worst, they dont even care!
    All I need is a little help to get me on my feet, a job and a bed. But for the last 6-8 years im being denied this, which accumulated my homlessness.
    I probably die on the streets, but i'll die knowing people in government and council knew my situation and did f... all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Don't work in the southeast , there's quite large teams in the hostels I've worked in.

Night staff do checks all thrugh the night , there are drug users and people alcohol issues , there are significant numbers who don't drink at all , lots more stable on methadone.
    Occasionally you get chaotic drug users .
    If any staff members sees any resident with alcohol or any paraphernalia you're asked to dispose of it.There's certainly no rampant drug or alcohol use , easily managed.

There's significant numbers who have addiction or alcohol issues at all. Night's are often very quite.

Couldn't believe a word of that post

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/689169477091508224

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0118/761135-homeless/

Complaints have also been made about the treatment of homeless people by accommodation staff.

There were several complaints from people who had been asked to leave or removed from accommodation without being given any reason.

They believe they were evicted because they complained about conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I'm lucky i'v a friend who's putting me up through this cold weather snap. If it wasn't for them i'd be dieing on the streets.
    The Bru, Merchants quay, cedar house, Portobello house, Little Britain to name but a few, you can't blame the staff(well some of them) but you wouldn't let a dog live in them.
    Try being sober and homeless, and share a mat on a floor with 30 others, mostly addicts, Gearing up in front of you, leaving needles beside you, defecating and vomiting where you sleep, needle bins in showers and the bathrooms. The little valubles you have are been robbed on a daily basis. Mentally your been put through it by the minute.
    You get no help from the local authority, just the usual, "apply for the HAP". I have done and its literally impossible to find a place.
    Id rather take my chances on the streets than hostels, I feel safer. They need certain hostels for different types of people. Addicts/alcoholics/mental health and people who are just homeless needs to be seperated into different hostels.
    Im homeless because of circumstances , I cant get a job because its been so long since my last one(recession, i was completely unemployed for 6 years), that noone even replys to my CVS. I do cv drops daily, and the looks I get from from some potential employers would leave you not wanting to go again.
    If I cant get a job I cant afford somewhere to live. This is modern day Ireland, and its a joke. Those in government are the worst, they dont even care!
    All I need is a little help to get me on my feet, a job and a bed. But for the last 6-8 years im being denied this, which accumulated my homlessness.
    I probably die on the streets, but i'll die knowing people in government and council knew my situation and did f... all about it.

Ideally, what kind of help would you like right now.

What are you being denied for 6-8 years?

Is it the government's fault you are being denied a job and a bed.

I'm sure you get social welfare, rent allowance a medical card what more do you want the government to do for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

We need to follow the model of the country who has no homeless.

Oh wait, there is none....

Advertisement