Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There's plenty of spare beds and couches in the country.
    Why don't the do gooders take them in and offer a homeless person one? Surely it'd be better for them sleeping on someone's couch or spare bed where they're warm than in a doorway.
    I'm sure the poor homeless would appreciate it more than some soup and a sleeping bag

because quite understandably people could be worried about having strangers in their house, and they dont know what baggage they come with (and I am not talking bags) - they are not qualified to deal with mental health issues and addictions.

Why does it have to be on the onus of the general public to sort out the countries housing crisis and homeless people , where does the government feature in all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shazzler77998

What are you being denied for 6-8 years?
    Opportunity/employment. The last recession hit me at a vulnreable time in my life. During that time it was college course after course. And years of no employment.
    I go out of my way to find work, but have never been giving the opportunity to work since about 21 years of age. I do c.v handouts daily its all I have to do to pass my time, I do whatever I can to find employment, maybe its the stigma of homelessness, I dont know.
    If i'd a job I wouldn't be homeless, i'd be able to afford to rent, to live.
    I would rather not live on the streets and possibly freeze to death on a state payment of 191eur a week. But because of the way this country was/is iv no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

because quite understandably people could be worried about having strangers in their house, and they dont know what baggage they come with (and I am not talking bags) - they are not qualified to deal with mental health issues and addictions.

Why does it have to be on the onus of the general public to sort out the countries housing crisis and homeless people , where does the government feature in all of this?

Where do you think the majority of funding for homeless charities come from?

It comes from the government who fund them as they the homeless charities are the best qualified to deal with the homeless issue.

Simon, Peter McVerry, SVP, DePaul, Merchants Quay etc majority funding comes from councils & the HSE ie the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Some of you are so brainwashed, you haven't got a clue.
    I'm homeless, and I'm in my late 20s.
    I'm not an addict or an alcoholic, infact I don't drink or take drugs.
    I'm lucky i'v a friend who's putting me up through this cold weather snap. If it wasn't for them i'd be dieing on the streets.
    I'v stayed in alot of the hostels in the city centre,
    The Bru, Merchants quay, cedar house, Portobello house, Little Britain to name but a few, you can't blame the staff(well some of them) but you wouldn't let a dog live in them.
    Try being sober and homeless, and share a mat on a floor with 30 others, mostly addicts, Gearing up in front of you, leaving needles beside you, defecating and vomiting where you sleep, needle bins in showers and the bathrooms. The little valubles you have are been robbed on a daily basis. Mentally your been put through it by the minute.
    You get no help from the local authority, just the usual, "apply for the HAP". I have done and its literally impossible to find a place.
    Id rather take my chances on the streets than hostels, I feel safer. They need certain hostels for different types of people. Addicts/alcoholics/mental health and people who are just homeless needs to be seperated into different hostels.
    Im homeless because of circumstances , I cant get a job because its been so long since my last one(recession, i was completely unemployed for 6 years), that noone even replys to my CVS. I do cv drops daily, and the looks I get from from some potential employers would leave you not wanting to go again.
    If I cant get a job I cant afford somewhere to live. This is modern day Ireland, and its a joke. Those in government are the worst, they dont even care!
    All I need is a little help to get me on my feet, a job and a bed. But for the last 6-8 years im being denied this, which accumulated my homlessness.
    I probably die on the streets, but i'll die knowing people in government and council knew my situation and did f... all about it.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Opportunity/employment. The last recession hit me at a vulnreable time in my life. During that time it was college course after course. And years of no employment.
    I go out of my way to find work, but have never been giving the opportunity to work since about 21 years of age. I do c.v handouts daily its all I have to do to pass my time, I do whatever I can to find employment, maybe its the stigma of homelessness, I dont know.
    If i'd a job I wouldn't be homeless, i'd be able to afford to rent, to live.
    I would rather not live on the streets and possibly freeze to death on a state payment of 191eur a week. But because of the way this country was/is iv no other option.

So you want the government to give you a job.

I hate to tell you this but that's not what governments are for.

It's hard but that is life sadly but you seem to have good friends if they are letting you stay with them that is a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

example here :

https://www.dubsimon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2016-Finances.pdf

Grants : 7,503,000

Residents contributions : 1,127,000

O644j0y.png

q6nU9P4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Some of you are so brainwashed, you haven't got a clue.
    I'm homeless, and I'm in my late 20s.
    I'm not an addict or an alcoholic, infact I don't drink or take drugs.
    I'm lucky i'v a friend who's putting me up through this cold weather snap. If it wasn't for them i'd be dieing on the streets.
    I'v stayed in alot of the hostels in the city centre,
    The Bru, Merchants quay, cedar house, Portobello house, Little Britain to name but a few, you can't blame the staff(well some of them) but you wouldn't let a dog live in them.
    Try being sober and homeless, and share a mat on a floor with 30 others, mostly addicts, Gearing up in front of you, leaving needles beside you, defecating and vomiting where you sleep, needle bins in showers and the bathrooms. The little valubles you have are been robbed on a daily basis. Mentally your been put through it by the minute.
    You get no help from the local authority, just the usual, "apply for the HAP". I have done and its literally impossible to find a place.
    Id rather take my chances on the streets than hostels, I feel safer. They need certain hostels for different types of people. Addicts/alcoholics/mental health and people who are just homeless needs to be seperated into different hostels.
    Im homeless because of circumstances , I cant get a job because its been so long since my last one(recession, i was completely unemployed for 6 years), that noone even replys to my CVS. I do cv drops daily, and the looks I get from from some potential employers would leave you not wanting to go again.
    If I cant get a job I cant afford somewhere to live. This is modern day Ireland, and its a joke. Those in government are the worst, they dont even care!
    All I need is a little help to get me on my feet, a job and a bed. But for the last 6-8 years im being denied this, which accumulated my homlessness.
    I probably die on the streets, but i'll die knowing people in government and council knew my situation and did f... all about it.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Mother of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno about Dublin.

But in Galway the charities which the council contracts to provide homeless services do provide sleeping bags and tents if they are the best option for an individual.

But the people we see in doorways here don't want to move out of them to less lucative locations.

The truly desperate people aren't in shop doorways in the public eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Where do you think the majority of funding for homeless charities come from?

It comes from the government who fund them as they the homeless charities are the best qualified to deal with the homeless issue.

Simon, Peter McVerry, SVP, DePaul, Merchants Quay etc majority funding comes from councils & the HSE ie the government.
    Not forgetting the ceo of Peter mcverry is on 100k a year.

Why would you solve the crisis when you could do yourself out of that salary???

gctest50 wrote: »
    example here :

https://www.dubsimon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2016-Finances.pdf

Grants : 7,503,000

Residents contributions : 1,127,000

O644j0y.png

q6nU9P4.png

They do some great work , I know a good few of their staff.
    Passionate and dedicated.

Their detox and respite care is second to none along with their efforts to house individuals.

• Advertisement

Irish charity sector is being drained by duplication

Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland and Focus Ireland received a total of €33.6 million in grants from State agencies in 2014, but spent €35.8 million on staff costs for on the 875 people they employed in 2014 (the last year for which complete figures are available for all).

In Dublin there are eight organisations involved with the homeless, Dublin Simon, the Peter McVerry Trust, Depaul Ireland, Focus Ireland, Novas, the Salvation Army, Crosscare, and the YMCA.

Each has its own management team, its own chief executive/directors, policy teams, buildings managers, health and counselling teams, and training programmes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/irish-charity-sector-is-being-drained-by-duplication-1.2717375

All the duplication n that - there's a scam in there irish stylee

Charities for homeless are 'not value for money' - report

The report - undertaken by consultancy firm Mazer, and carried out on behalf of Environment Minister Alan Kelly - found more than 75 organisations received €95.9m in funding in 2014. And based on an average of 5,000 people currently without homes, this means the State spends almost €20,000 per homeless person every year.

However, this does not take into account the amount of money raised by agencies through donations, charity shops and other investments, which brings the sector's total income to almost a quarter of a billion euros.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/charities-for-homeless-are-not-value-for-money-report-34349696.html

quarter of a billion euros

hmmm

€ 250,000,000 / 5000 = €50,000

You could just give each of the 5000 homeless 960 Euro per week and save all the hassle of running all these homeless charities

gctest50 wrote: »
    All the duplication n that - there's a scam in there irish stylee

Charities for homeless are 'not value for money' - report

The report - undertaken by consultancy firm Mazer, and carried out on behalf of Environment Minister Alan Kelly - found more than 75 organisations received €95.9m in funding in 2014. And based on an average of 5,000 people currently without homes, this means the State spends almost €20,000 per homeless person every year.

However, this does not take into account the amount of money raised by agencies through donations, charity shops and other investments, which brings the sector's total income to almost a quarter of a billion euros.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/charities-for-homeless-are-not-value-for-money-report-34349696.html

quarter of a billion euros

hmmm

€ 250,000,000 / 5000 = €50,000

You could just give each of the 5000 homeless 960 Euro per week and save all the hassle of running all these homeless charities

Be careful or you'll **** yourself unconscious.

What are you being denied for 6-8 years?

Is it the government's fault you are being denied a job and a bed.

I'm sure you get social welfare, rent allowance a medical card what more do you want the government to do for you?

i dont suppose you care less but i find your answers very callous towards Shazzler77998 and wonder what your beef is with this particular person or people such as in his prediciment and would like to ask if you have ever found yourself in a homeless position or in a position such as his and why can you no cut him a bit of slack and show a bit of compassion to his plight?

is there still this thing in hostels whereby there are rules about bringing in drink and drugs in the hostels and shelters or shown to have poseesion on you and you are asked to get rid of them but if you dont you are refused a bed for the night or turfed out?

That would be a nit of a nightmare situation , they are looking for a bed on a cold frosty night but they cannot just come off drinks and drugs to order just like that ... so they are just turfed back out on the streets again? -

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.
    No, they should provide them with a bed, roof, and heating

can you even get state allowance/benefit if your homeless? - it used to be the case years ago that you couldnt receive benefit if you couldnt provide a permanant fixed address - viscious circle , cant get accomodation because you cannot get benefit and cannot get bebefit because you are homeless and cannot provide an address!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We need a Tent feasibility study with a highly paid consultant carrying it out which will take a year. We also need a planning team to work out the best place to erect tents. An interdepartmental team is also needed to correlate the findings of the other teams and consultants. This will be then all scrapped in 2019 after being found to be unfeasible after the entire budget of €40 million was wasted on fees.

In the good old days you'd just get some graduate to do all that while they're on a job bridge.

ted1 wrote: »

but until they can?....

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In the good old days you'd just get some graduate to do all that while they're on a job bridge.

thats the 'idea' where you worked for nothing isnt it for 'the experience' - that job bridge still aint going today is it? ... which government thought that up anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people in my experience can sort out some kind of address if they have to to access social welfare/etc.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Ideally, what kind of help would you like right now.

didnt he just ask what kind of help he would like right now?

All I need is a little help to get me on my feet, a job and a bed

at least he is asking for help (good man) and not afraid to ask for help, there are a lot out there who feel they cannot ask for help for one reason or another or are too proud to ask for help or are trying to go it alone without help/charity...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ted1 wrote: »

It looks like somebody got in before the thread took wings...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/woman-raises-almost-4k-to-buy-hundreds-of-sleeping-bags-for-the-homeless-i-cant-change-the-world-but-i-can-make-a-difference-36393722.html
    Grace said that she got them at a discounted rate from Dublin retailers Trespass, Base Camp and the Outdoor Adventure Store; she said that she has also bought homeless people sleeping mats and hand warmers.

Grace, who works for an accountancy company, said she plans to spend any leftover money on necessities like hats, gloves and scarves for homeless people.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shazzler77998

can you even get state allowance/benefit if your homeless? - it used to be the case years ago that you couldnt receive benefit if you couldnt provide a permanant fixed address - viscious circle , cant get accomodation because you cannot get benefit and cannot get bebefit because you are homeless and cannot provide an address!
    In my case, i'm on basic supplementry allowance. 191 weekly.
    You go to parkgate and register as homeless,
    Your put on the CPS (Central placement service) system. An you fill out the housing Application, who then give you a letter for the homeless department of social welfare in north Cumberland st.
    They usually need proof of a hostel your staying at, they've access to the CPS so they can see where you've been staying.
    But because I myself,wont use the hostel system, after numerous bad experiences.(i dont belive in addicts and non addicts been in the same place) Iv been left without payment on a few occasions.(id never resort to begging) id rather starve.
    Then I had to show the rough sleepers crowd where I stay(on the streets)and they visited me a few times, after that, they gave me a letter for the social.
    And i'd to get a letter from Br.lukes place to say I use there facilities to eat/wash.
    I get called in by the social every couple of weeks for proof i'm homeless(letters from the above named charities), just because I refuse to use the hostels. (Its not right asking a normal homeless person, to stay amongst addicts and alcoholics).
    If I don't have proof, you don't get paid.
    There proof being, being visited by the rough sleepers crowd and getting a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In my case, i'm on basic supplementry allowance. 191 weekly.
    You go to parkgate and register as homeless,
    Your put on the CPS (Central placement service) system. An you fill out the housing Application, who then give you a letter for the homeless department of social welfare in north Cumberland st.
    They usually need proof of a hostel your staying at, they've access to the CPS so they can see where you've been staying.
    But because I myself,wont use the hostel system, after numerous bad experiences.(i dont belive in addicts and non addicts been in the same place) Iv been left without payment on a few occasions.(id never resort to begging) id rather starve.
    Then I had to show the rough sleepers crowd where I stay(on the streets)and they visited me a few times, after that, they gave me a letter for the social.
    And i'd to get a letter from Br.lukes place to say I use there facilities to eat/wash.
    I get called in by the social every couple of weeks for proof i'm homeless(letters from the above named charities), just because I refuse to use the hostels. (Its not right asking a normal homeless person, to stay amongst addicts and alcoholics).
    If I don't have proof, you don't get paid.
    There proof being, being visited by the rough sleepers crowd and getting a letter.

Have you been estranged from your family all this time or only recently?

AlekSmart wrote: »

How many of the sleeping bags are still being used? What did they do with the old ones? Is she a registered charity? What regulation is there over the funds she raised? Why the need for a photographer to accompany her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Yes you can if you actually read the post properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jonathan Corrie died from an overdose having earlier refused support from an outreach who would attempted to place him in a one night only bed.

We need to get away from the " he had two houses " statement , he was an addict living rough when he died .
    You're correct , nothing to do with the government.

Someone should tell the Alphabets, they continually try to make political capital from deaths in doorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jonathan Corrie died from an overdose having earlier refused support from an outreach who would attempted to place him in a one night only bed.

We need to get away from the " he had two houses " statement , he was an addict living rough when he died .
    You're correct , nothing to do with the government.

Someone should tell the Alphabets, they continually try to make political capital from deaths in doorways.
    It appears Fr. Mcverry has been seduced by their populist guff. I heard him on radio recently calling for the seizure of privately owned property.

Advertisement