Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It appears Fr. Mcverry has been seduced by their populist guff. I heard him on radio recently calling for the seizure of privately owned property.

Unfortunately Padd a lot more that the good padre have been blindsided by these people.

The poster who is homeless on the previous post is correct though, you cannot continue ‘sheltering’ addicts together with non addicts.

That should be one of the pillars of the ‘homelessness industry’.

Not being disparaging calling it that as there are many genuine cases, but also many wasters and chancers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It appears Fr. Mcverry has been seduced by their populist guff. I heard him on radio recently calling for the seizure of privately owned property.

Plenty of empty churches around Ireland only used for a couple of hours a day.

You would think a priest would call on his fellow priests to open them up to all the homeless and rough sleepers instead of wanting the State to steal privately owned property.

That’s not very Christian of him as a priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You would think a priest would call on his fellow priests to open them up to all the homeless and rough sleepers instead of wanting the State to steal privately owned property.

so now you're blaming the church for the local authorities not bothering to build social housing for the past 25 years?

ara here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    so now you're blaming the church for the local authorities not bothering to build social housing for the past 25 years?

ara here.

But we had homeless people 25 years ago??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.
    Hard to pitch a tent in a hotel room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ara here.

Where in any of my post did I blame the church or local authorities?

A priest who earns a €100k a year wants the State to steal privately own property before calling on his fellow priests to the Christian thing and open the churches first while the State tries to deal with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My mother is a daily communicant for 35 years. Where will the rough sleepers go to the toilet? Where will they eat? Where will my mother sit when she arrives for mass? Will the homeless children burn themselves on the candles? Should the candles be removed just in case? Should the 8am mass be cancelled for fear of waking sleeping bodies? Should the Carol Service be cancelled as it’s very packed ditto Christmas Eve night mass?
    What about funerals ? The coffin is most frequently left overnight in the church. Would that not be a bit grim for the rough sleepers all night in a church with a coffin? (There’s around 3 funerals per week).
    Maybe the church should stop having Catholic funerals for the Catholics who go, yes that’s best.
    The Catholics can just piss off out of the church that they maintain themselves and let rough sleepers and homeless people in.
    They should also be allowed into the swimming pool you bring your children too. And the gym you go to. And the school your children go to. And the library you bring them too. All these places are warm and dry and you will be delighted to share them with your less fortunate brothers and sisters.

splinter65 wrote: »
    My mother is a daily communicant for 35 years. Where will the rough sleepers go to the toilet? Where will they eat? Where will my mother sit when she arrives for mass? Will the homeless children burn themselves on the candles? Should the candles be removed just in case? Should the 8am mass be cancelled for fear of waking sleeping bodies? Should the Carol Service be cancelled as it’s very packed ditto Christmas Eve night mass?
    What about funerals ? The coffin is most frequently left overnight in the church. Would that not be a bit grim for the rough sleepers all night in a church with a coffin? (There’s around 3 funerals per week).
    Maybe the church should stop having Catholic funerals for the Catholics who go, yes that’s best.
    The Catholics can just piss off out of the church that they maintain themselves and let rough sleepers and homeless people in.
    They should also be allowed into the swimming pool you bring your children too. And the gym you go to. And the school your children go to. And the library you bring them too. All these places are warm and dry and you will be delighted to share them with your less fortunate brothers and sisters.

Good lad, someone sees the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

ara here.

Where in any of my post did I blame the church or local authorities?

A priest who earns a €100k a year wants the State to steal privately own property before calling on his fellow priests to the Christian thing and open the churches first while the State tries to deal with the issue.

Peter McVerry retired years ago , it's known as the Peter McVerry Trust now and has a CEO and board of directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Unfortunately Padd a lot more that the good padre have been blindsided by these people.

The poster who is homeless on the previous post is correct though, you cannot continue ‘sheltering’ addicts together with non addicts.

That should be one of the pillars of the ‘homelessness industry’.

Not being disparaging calling it that as there are many genuine cases, but also many wasters and chancers too.
    Absolutely, I noticed a poster earlier suggested the possibility of them becoming self-sufficient.
    A perfectly reasonable long term aspiration for anyone to hope for, I'm sure you'll agree.

Could you imagine the outcry not from just the sizable cohort of lifelong "claim and complain" merchants, but also from their cheerleaders-Coppinger would have steam coming out her ears from the outrage at such right-wing rhetoric!

• Advertisement

Absolutely, I noticed a poster earlier suggested the possibility of them becoming self-sufficient.
    A perfectly reasonable long term aspiration for anyone to hope for, I'm sure you'll agree.

Could you imagine the outcry not from just the sizable cohort of lifelong "claim and complain" merchants, but also from their cheerleaders-Coppinger would have steam coming out her ears from the outrage at such right-wing rhetoric!

Unfortunately Padd you are correct.

You see, it’s all very well and fine to embrace the concept of ‘ back to education’ and ‘going to college’ after years of substance abuse and it does work for some in fairness.

But for the majority the train has left the station and events have passed them out.

That’s not a nice thing to say but I’m afraid it’s true.

They say you get one chance in life, best make the most of it as taking the wrong turn can leave one roaring and shouting in a hostel with nobody but political opportunists and those blind to reality and the vested interests,to ‘support ‘ you.

Difficult pill to swallow for some but must be taken, I’m afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

hello - excuse the niave post and I am most probably come up with an idea thats come up before or its just not feasible.

but , you know there are a lot of people sleeping in shop doorways and some ofd them might not want accomodation (though why they wouldnt especially in freezing cold weather like this I will never know) But why dont the local authorities get some waterproof tents set up in a town centre location with waterproof sleeping bags rather than see homedless end up sleeping in doorways?

what have I missed here? - be more shelter from the winds and rain and snow and warmer for them.

I know, right. Why aren’t local authorities encouraging homelessness, it’s a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A complete waste of money and resources ,
    But what they need to do it's set up one government agency to help people living on the streets not this disjointed anyone can set themselves up as charity raising money and working with vulnerable people with no vetting or training .

That kind of learned helplessness is the trademark of the current govt. Ah shur what can you do only throw your hands in the air?

Yes we should follow the example of other countries that have solved their homeless problem. Can you name one??

That's not true , I work in a homeless hostel.

Yes. But can we take you seriously without knowing your shoe size.

Unfortunately Padd you are correct.

You see, it’s all very well and fine to embrace the concept of ‘ back to education’ and ‘going to college’ after years of substance abuse and it does work for some in fairness.

But for the majority the train has left the station and events have passed them out.

That’s not a nice thing to say but I’m afraid it’s true.

They say you get one chance in life, best make the most of it as taking the wrong turn can leave one roaring and shouting in a hostel with nobody but political opportunists and those blind to reality and the vested interests,to ‘support ‘ you.

Difficult pill to swallow for some but must be taken, I’m afraid.
    I wouldn't fully agree to be honest.

There's always hope that someone in good health can find their niche in the workforce if they show willing. Yes, returning to education is simply not an option for many but you don't have to be homeless to be cut off from that avenue.

You're 100% correct about who has the ear of the homeless. We're never going to see progress of any sort when you hear student politics guff about bans on evictions and housing being a human right etc etc.

Can I stop servicing my 340k mortgage and drop anchor chez Murphy???
    My human right innit??

Opportunity/employment. The last recession hit me at a vulnreable time in my life. During that time it was college course after course. And years of no employment.
    I go out of my way to find work, but have never been giving the opportunity to work since about 21 years of age. I do c.v handouts daily its all I have to do to pass my time, I do whatever I can to find employment, maybe its the stigma of homelessness, I dont know.
    If i'd a job I wouldn't be homeless, i'd be able to afford to rent, to live.
    I would rather not live on the streets and possibly freeze to death on a state payment of 191eur a week. But because of the way this country was/is iv no other option.

Sounds like it’s always someone else’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That's not true , I work in a homeless hostel.

Yes. But can we take you seriously without knowing your shoe size.

At this stage , after some of the posts in this thread , I'm starting to doubt myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Where would you put them? NIMBYs would be in uproar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where would you put them? NIMBYs would be in uproar.

Inside a an empty warehouse might be an idea easier to up keep and heat

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If our government funded the little houses above certain campaigners/td's would be saying that they are an insult to the homeless telling them that's all there worth!

and simply allow people to die in the street? Surely the few quid could be found somewhere to protect the people who now need help the most, many of them women and children.

I refer to this article from the Irish Times, May 2012.
    €650 million spent on unrealised projects

€30m

Children’s hospital

Some €30 million has been spent by the hospital board – mainly in fees to architects, engineers and other consultants or experts – in progressing its plans. The Government says a revised plan will be produced in the coming months.

€42m

Dart Underground

Plans and land acquisition for the Dart Underground have cost millions, but the project has been delayed indefinitely under the new capital spending plans.

€50m

Media Lab Europe

The high-technology “seed bed”, based in Dublin’s Liberties, was run jointly by the government and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Founded in 2000, it went into liquidation a few years later, with consultants describing its output as “dismal”, “surprisingly weak” and “mediocre”.

€130m

PPARS

The HSE’s information technology project started small, at an estimated cost of €9 million in 1997, and ballooned to a cost of €130 million in 2004, before being put on hold by the Health Service Executive in 2007.

€55m

E-voting

Martin Cullen ordered more than 700 of the machines at a cost of €51 million, only to have them placed in storage in 2004 when security concerns emerged. Attempts to sell them have so far been unsuccessful.

€1.5m

Hospital co-location

Almost €1.5 million was paid in legal and financial costs associated with the now abandoned plans to develop co-located private hospitals. Project agreements for each of these hospitals expired in March 2011.

€44m

Decentralisation

Millions have been spent on acquiring sites for the Government’s decentralisation programme in locations where plans to transfer public service offices and State agencies have been either postponed or axed.

€18m
    Metro West

Millions has been spent on the design of this section of the Metro. It, too, has been shelved indefinitely as a result of cutbacks to capital spending plans.

€150m
    Metro North

The decision not to proceed with the Metro North rail project as part of the 2012-2016 capital investment programme will cost the State more than €150 millionincluding compensation to the project bidders.

€100m

Bertie Bowl

Millions were spent on consultancy fees and the clearances of the Abbotstown development in preparation for a national stadium. Political opposition from Fianna Fáil’s coalition partners, the PDs, ultimately scuppered the project, although the FAI went on to relocate its headquarters at the site.

€42m

Thornton Hall

The Government spent €30 million acquiring land for the Thornton Hall “superprison”, which has been delayed indefinitely. A further €12 million has been spent on original plans for the prison and the Central Mental Hospital. Both designs have since been scrapped. Plans for a scaled-down version of the prison have also been long-fingered.

And that list does not include what has been wasted since 2012.

and simply allow people to die in the street? Surely the few quid could be found somewhere to protect the people who now need help the most, many of them women and children.

There are no children sleeping rough on the streets Mrs Lovejoy.

Beds and food are available to all that needs 5hem. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/safe-shelter-and-food-available-for-homeless-people-amid-significant-snowfall-and-plummeting-temperatures-36393228.html Have you a link to where children are sleeping rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

When you have a minister for housing who is so posh and upper class that its hard at times to even understand what he is saying what hope is there? Eoghan Murphy certainly has never had to experience sleeping rough, facing eviction etc, Nor has any of his family. We have totally unsuitable people as ministers. There is no compassion from any of them. If Leo has a heart attack, you can be sure he gets cardiac care immediately. If Covenys kid got knocked down you can be sure there would be an overnight change in the law with regards drink driving. Nobody in the Dail gives a flying fcuk about people.

If our government funded the little houses above certain campaigners/td's would be saying that they are an insult to the homeless telling them that's all there worth!

We've already seen that reaction from the usual suspects re. modular housing.

When you have a minister for housing who is so posh and upper class that its hard at times to even understand what he is saying what hope is there? Eoghan Murphy certainly has never had to experience sleeping rough, facing eviction etc, Nor has any of his family. We have totally unsuitable people as ministers. There is no compassion from any of them. If Leo has a heart attack, you can be sure he gets cardiac care immediately. If Covenys kid got knocked down you can be sure there would be an overnight change in the law with regards drink driving. Nobody in the Dail gives a flying fcuk about people.

More rubbish and generalizations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

More rubbish and generalizations.

What part was rubbush exactly your post wasn't long enough to specify?

Lets start at the first part- am I wrong when I said Eoghan Murphy is upper class and cant relate to homelessness?

• Advertisement

There are no children sleeping rough on the streets Mrs Lovejoy.

I never said there was buddy. I said the money needs to be found to help the people who need it the most, many of them women and children, and I agree, my post read a bit like that there were children rough sleeping, which I didn't mean. I apologise.

Advertisement