Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

and simply allow people to die in the street? Surely the few quid could be found somewhere to protect the people who now need help the most, many of them women and children.

I refer to this article from the Irish Times, May 2012.

And that list does not include what has been wasted since 2012.

why prioritize? all people needs are the same , you need sleep, warm place, roof over your head and regular meals to survive in this world whether your a 20/30/40/50/60+ year old whether you be male or a woman or a child

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

When you have a minister for housing who is so posh and upper class that its hard at times to even understand what he is saying what hope is there? Eoghan Murphy certainly has never had to experience sleeping rough, facing eviction etc, Nor has any of his family. We have totally unsuitable people as ministers. There is no compassion from any of them. If Leo has a heart attack, you can be sure he gets cardiac care immediately. If Covenys kid got knocked down you can be sure there would be an overnight change in the law with regards drink driving. Nobody in the Dail gives a flying fcuk about people.

it would indeed be a fantastic world if we had people in power who have actually gone through what they are in power for - so Housing minister that has indeed spent an amount of time in his life homeless - a mental health expert who has had mental health issues, people who deal in child abuse being abused as a child and people giving information about drugs who used to be addicts etc... at least they would know what they are talking about and would have experienced such things

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

hmm wheras at the moment with the people sleeping in shop doorways and the government turning a blind eye most of the time and letting it continue without a concrete plan of getting everyone off the streets is not saying that they are worthless and their lives/welfare doesnt matter?
    My point is for example,
    When the government introduced modular housing it wasn't good enough for some people to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

it would indeed be a fantastic world if we had people in power who have actually gone through what they are in power for - so Housing minister that has indeed spent an amount of time in his life homeless - a mental health expert who has had mental health issues, people who deal in child abuse being abused as a child and people giving information about drugs who used to be addicts etc... at least they would know what they are talking about and would have experienced such things

Although well intentioned, I'm sure, has no basis in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Sure we had a minister for Finance who had no bank account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I'm not sure when he last did a night shift , but like I said they're not for the faint hearted but lockers are provided for valubles.

Again it's worth investigating the different types of hostels.

They vary from one night only , rolling beds , Short term accommodation, temporary emergency , private emergency and so on.

I've worked in quite a few a never felt threatened or been attacked.

Yes but can you get a good night's sleep in them or are you all grouped together in a hall and the lights are left on and some people just talk/make noise all night?

splinter65 wrote: »
    No I think the many many well wishers and concerned citizens who think that something like “a tent city in every town center” is what’s needed will be happy to keep the encampments tidy and safe and clean on a kind of a rota basis. No?
    There shouldn’t be much cleaning up though. It’s not as if any of the rough sleepers have substance abuse issues or anger management issues, is it?

You sound like a very bitter and unpleasant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Chrongen wrote: »
    I'm not sure when he last did a night shift , but like I said they're not for the faint hearted but lockers are provided for valubles.

Again it's worth investigating the different types of hostels.

They vary from one night only , rolling beds , Short term accommodation, temporary emergency , private emergency and so on.

I've worked in quite a few a never felt threatened or been attacked.

Yes but can you get a good night's sleep in them or are you all grouped together in a hall and the lights are left on and some people just talk/make noise all night?

They vary , some the ONO hostels are dormitories, others are two three and four bed rooms and more again are single rooms.

There's different types of hostels , some are "one night only " , others are six month placements.

I've worked nights and they can be as peaceful ,other times they can busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

hmm wheras at the moment with the people sleeping in shop doorways and the government turning a blind eye most of the time and letting it continue without a concrete plan of getting everyone off the streets is not saying that they are worthless and their lives/welfare doesnt matter?
    Are you proposing that rough sleepers not be allowed the autonomy they have at the moment to decide not to avail of the shelter being offered to them?
    What exactly are your suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

why prioritize? all people needs are the same , you need sleep, warm place, roof over your head and regular meals to survive in this world whether your a 20/30/40/50/60+ year old whether you be male or a woman or a child

Ok, fair enough

My point is for example,
    When the government introduced modular housing it wasn't good enough for some people to the best of my knowledge.

Too bad about them, fk the begrudgers, as the saying goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'm social care worker in homeless services , hostels are not for the faint hearted but what you're saying about them not being safe and that there is little being done to make them safe is just not true.
    There's quite a few different types of accommodation provided , it's worth investigating what's there before posting like that.

A friend of mine wss homeless. He's stayed in hostels all over the city centre. They arnt safe, addicts shooting up heroine needles left all over the toilets, people cramped onto rooms. People so out of their head their shouting in their sleep. Not to forget people being robbed. He has had 3 pairs of runners robbed on him over the last 2 yrs. He just ended up sleeping with them on and tied tightly.
    It sounds like a holocost in then hostels but don't pretend they are safe when they are definitely not.

Forgot to mention his last night in a hostel the one beside thst fancy hotel just accross from hueston station, one a guy got stabbed over a cigarette. But you wnt find that in the news...

Ok so give us the answer that will end homeless here in Ireland right now.

No Country has ever solved homelessness.

Try Cuba

We need to follow the model of the country who has no homeless.

Oh wait, there is none....

See above

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Chrongen wrote: »
    See above

Your advocating Cuba as a welfare state?

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I'm social care worker in homeless services , hostels are not for the faint hearted but what you're saying about them not being safe and that there is little being done to make them safe is just not true.
    There's quite a few different types of accommodation provided , it's worth investigating what's there before posting like that.

A friend of mine wss homeless. He's stayed in hostels all over the city centre. They arnt safe, addicts shooting up heroine needles left all over the toilets, people cramped onto rooms. People so out of their head their shouting in their sleep. Not to forget people being robbed. He has had 3 pairs of runners robbed on him over the last 2 yrs. He just ended up sleeping with them on and tied tightly.
    It sounds like a holocost in then hostels but don't pretend they are safe when they are definitely not.

Forgot to mention his last night in a hostel the one beside thst fancy hotel just accross from hueston station, one a guy got stabbed over a cigarette. But you wnt find that in the news...

You're correct , I'm a horticulturalist in the Botanic gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ah the holocaust, when Hitler stole all the jews runners. Sad times.

Ah the holocaust, when Hitler stole all the jews runners. Sad times.

Would ya ever fcuk off ya headbanger..I'll after nearly pissing myself laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So there was no homeless when the government built social housing???

Liar!

Lying dramatic lefties, like the poor, will always be with us.

• Advertisement

How Ireland could solve its homelessness crisis

This Newstalk article is from over 1 year ago, so this situation may have changed for the better since then (would anyone know?)

Homeless here does not refer totally to rough sleepers, it is people in emergency accommodation as they have been made homeless.

There are over 5,000 people in Ireland today that are classified as ‘officially homeless’, living in emergency homeless accommodation.

This figure is increasing every year and last year it increased by of 48%. Over 1’000 of these are children with their families.

This is the highest level of family homelessness since records began. According to Focus Ireland family homelessness is largely due to “constriction in the private rental market" which both causes homelessness in the majority of cases and makes it very difficult for families to find a way out.

It is evident from continued research carried out by Focus Ireland that the majority of families currently living in emergency accommodation have "no previous experience of homelessness" and do not have "psycho-social problems" which are typically associated with homelessness, they simply need a place to live.

The official rough sleeping count for last month in Dublin was 184

source: http://www.homelessdublin.ie/rough-sleeping-count

How Ireland could solve its homelessness crisis

This Newstalk article is from over 1 year ago, so this situation may have changed for the better since then (would anyone know?)

Homeless here does not refer totally to rough sleepers, it is people in emergency accommodation as they have been made homeless.

The official rough sleeping count for last month in Dublin was 184

source: http://www.homelessdublin.ie/rough-sleeping-count

From what I can see online, Finland currently has a homeless rate of 0.13% (7200) of its population. Ireland has a homeless rate of 0.17%(8271) of the population. They're hardly miles ahead of us.

From what I can see online, Finland currently has a homeless rate of 0.13% (7200) of its population. Ireland has a homeless rate of 0.17%(8271) of the population. They're hardly miles ahead of us.

I wasn't claiming that Finlad were ahead of us, it was just an article I found on how another country was trying to tackle its homeless issue.

so back to the point I was trying to make yesterday, would it be that difficult to build 200 of these, and find a suitable location to have them.

nicevillage.jpg

If your friend is accessing hostels for at least the two years that you say , the issue is with him.

He's either not engaging with staff to access rolling beds and the assertive engagement programs suggesting he is not looking for a bed consistently or his behaviour is a problem.

He should by now be placed on six month placement.

Don't bother your hole giving me anecdotal comments about people being stabbed over cigarettes.

I wasn't claiming that Finlad were ahead of us, it was just an article I found on how another country was trying to tackle its homeless issue.

You posted a link stating Finland and nothing else. Which I had been replying to. You seem to have ninja edited it. Hence my reply.

so back to the point I was trying to make yesterday, would it be that difficult to build 200 of these, and find a suitable location to have them.

nicevillage.jpg

what about this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It would probably be difficult this winter. Didn't Jonathan Corrie have two houses bought for him by his family and still died on the streets. It's a very complex issue to deal with than just building houses.

It would probably be difficult this winter. Didn't Jonathan Corrie have two houses bought for him by his family and still died on the streets. It's a very complex issue to deal with than just building houses.

yes, I was thinking about him, and I think there was another similar case, there will always be the exceptions.

I know it would be a very short timeline to build this type of accomm for this winter, although if I thought that a project like this was being planned, I would be interested in volunteering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Seeing as modular homes/rapid builds attracted the opprobrium of the perpetual whingers as being offensive to the dignity of the homeless, I can only imagine their response if you attempted to house them in what appears to be a garden shed.

Advertisement