Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless - should local authorities supply tents & sleeping bags?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

yes, I was thinking about him, and I think there was another similar case, there will always be the exceptions.

I know it would be a very short timeline to build this type of accomm for this winter, although if I thought that a project like this was being planned, I would be interested in volunteering.

I think it's a good idea but I think a major issue is addictions and if people had bad addictions to drug/alcohol would they be allowed to stay in these places in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Seeing as modular homes/rapid builds attracted the opprobrium of the perpetual whingers as being offensive to the dignity of the homeless, I can only imagine their response if you attempted to house them in what appears to be a garden shed.

I'm guessing that some politicians in the opposition had issues with government plans to build modular homes?

yes, I was thinking about him, and I think there was another similar case, there will always be the exceptions.

I know it would be a very short timeline to build this type of accomm for this winter, although if I thought that a project like this was being planned, I would be interested in volunteering.

Where would you envision this project being located?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think it's a good idea but I think a major issue is addictions and if people had bad addictions to drug/alcohol would they be allowed to stay in these places in the first place?

It's worth having a look at Housing First , it's either American or Canadian .
    The idea is that your placed in your own flat or apartment and then whatever supports you need are put in place.
    It is actually here in Ireland and is having some success.

They work with more or less anyone and even if you lose your place they'll start again with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Seen At least 6 doorways that had pillows,quilts,and blankets in them in Cork city centre this morning, that was in less than 50 yards and all on the main thoroughfare.

First time i've seen it that bad during the day, it was disturbing to see.

Heard one of them giving out that the council won't do anything for them while begging.

• Advertisement

It's worth having a look at Housing First , it's either American or Canadian .
    The idea is that your placed in your own flat or apartment and then whatever supports you need are put in place.
    It is actually here in Ireland and is having some success.

They work with more or less anyone and even if you lose your place they'll start again with you.

I was reading an article on it earlier, it's Canadian and they tried it first in Medicine Hat in Alberta. It's a good idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Mr Corrie died of his addiction issues not homelessness. All of those rough sleepers who are sadly found dead on the street die as a result of a combination of substance abuse and or untreated mental health problems.
    All of them once had a family some of whom at least cared about them and continue to care for them.
    A lot of them at one stage had the same opportunities as we all had but found themselves on the road to disaster which it’s so hard to get off.
    A lot would have a long tangled housing history which involved a lot of missed opportunities.
    If it was as simple as giving someone with a combination of any of these issues a key to a place then we could build some very nice trailer parks complete with trees and shrubs and post boxes but it’s just not.

That would have to be looked into. Well away from the city centre, but close enough to public transport access. I'm sure there are sites suitable somewhere.

That would have to be looked into. Well away from the city centre, but close enough to public transport access. I'm sure there are sites suitable somewhere.

What timeframe have you in mind, bearing in mind cost of land and planning?

What timeframe have you in mind, bearing in mind cost of land and planning?

Again, I wouldn't know from the top of my head. There is nothing new about this idea, communities like this exist all over the USA. I will find a link later when I'm in front of a PC.

*Something along the lines of Money, except on a smaller scale.

• Advertisement

You really have to be careful housing people in envoiroments like that.
    What's happening now is that housing associations and some homeless charities are trying to house and support people in existing communities.

If you house large groups of homeless people with addictions or any of the myriad of issues they present with you risk creating a subsection within society.

Integrate back into the community with supports.

What's happening now is that housing associations and some homeless charities are trying to house and support people in existing communities.

If you house large groups of homeless people with addictions or any of the myriad of issues they present with you risk creating a subsection within society.

Maybe these communities in the States don't allow addicts.

Maybe these communities in the States don't allow addicts.

Possibility, I don't know.

I do know it's possible here once your stable on methadone , pass assessments and are open to engaging with supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

And you've to be careful with that :(

Background checks ?

The man – who went by a number of aliases but was named locally as Stephen “Jack” Watson – had been sleeping rough on Suffolk Street in the south inner city.
    Homeless man found dead in Dublin city centre was convicted paedophile who wilfully passed HIV to a woman”

Homeless paedophile found dead on Dublin street was kicked out of Australia after violent charges for gruesome three-hour assault

The former chef, whose death on the streets sparked outrage before the Irish Sun detailed his vile past, brutalised the other man during a three-
    hour ordeal.

Watson and a pal had invited the victim back to his flat for a drink. But after the man mentioned his conviction, Watson — who had been jailed nine years before for sexually abusing two young girls — called him a “woman-beating ****”.

Watson then locked the door of his flat, picked up a axe and ordered the man to take off his clothes.

He then went to the kitchen, picked up a knife, gave it to his accomplice and told him to cut the man’s hand off.

The man began to saw into the victim’s wrist but stopped after inflicting a cut a 3cm-deep cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Chrongen wrote: »
    Try Cuba

Bs Cuba has plenty of homeless people ,they just lock them up when Vips are visiting the country ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so back to the point I was trying to make yesterday, would it be that difficult to build 200 of these, and find a suitable location to have them.

nicevillage.jpg

looks like a butlins holiday camp with chalets I used to frequent as a youth every summer .... (bar the funfair rides!)

gctest50 wrote: »

And you've to be careful with that :(

Background checks ?

The man – who went by a number of aliases but was named locally as Stephen “Jack” Watson – had been sleeping rough on Suffolk Street in the south inner city.
    Homeless man found dead in Dublin city centre was convicted paedophile who wilfully passed HIV to a woman”

Homeless paedophile found dead on Dublin street was kicked out of Australia after violent charges for gruesome three-hour assault

The former chef, whose death on the streets sparked outrage before the Irish Sun detailed his vile past, brutalised the other man during a three-
    hour ordeal.

Watson and a pal had invited the victim back to his flat for a drink. But after the man mentioned his conviction, Watson — who had been jailed nine years before for sexually abusing two young girls — called him a “woman-beating ****”.

Watson then locked the door of his flat, picked up a axe and ordered the man to take off his clothes.

He then went to the kitchen, picked up a knife, gave it to his accomplice and told him to cut the man’s hand off.

The man began to saw into the victim’s wrist but stopped after inflicting a cut a 3cm-deep cut.

Estate management checks the equivalent of background checks are done by local authorities on potential residents .

looks like a butlins holiday camp with chalets I used to frequent as a youth every summer .... (bar the funfair rides!)

I was thinking of Mosney alright, and what they have done there to facititate the asylum seekers, and the posability of the same thing being done to facilitate the homeless on our streets, at a similar location somewhere. This particular architectural rendering is plans for a similar one in New York I was reading online, I'll have a dig through my browsing history and try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

so back to the point I was trying to make yesterday, would it be that difficult to build 200 of these, and find a suitable location to have them.

nicevillage.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5215485/The-return-prefabs-28-new-pre-built-council-homes.html

47978F1400000578-5215485-image-a-95_1514393090584.jpg

£70,000 each for those 2 bed houses with parking,play area etc.

No doubt we'd need years of faffing about here and they'd cost 3 times the price.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5215485/The-return-prefabs-28-new-pre-built-council-homes.html

No doubt we'd need years of faffing about here and they'd cost 3 times the price.

That's forward thinking by Reading council, also provides employment for the people that build them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The majority of Irish homeless would flat out refuse to live in them as they aren't 3 bed semi forever homes..

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The majority of Irish homeless would flat out refuse to live in them as they aren't 3 bed semi forever homes..

You could place one of those near the mammy's house for them.

On a serious note,one of my relations who lives in Dublin told me today that near him the Corporation have 3 flats left vacant for over 6 months,they are in good nick and pretty much ready for occupation as they are yet sit idle as people live out of hotel rooms within a stones throw.

Give them to the minority so

Are you sure bout that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the Corporation have 3 flats left vacant for over 6 months,they are in good nick and pretty much ready for occupation as they are yet sit idle as people live out of hotel rooms within a stones throw.

How does he know they're in good nick? Could easily have non visible problems with electrics or heating that would stop them being safe to let, but are expensive to fix.

How does he know they're in good nick? Could easily have non visible problems with electrics or heating that would stop them being safe to let, but are expensive to fix.

It's an area that had long term tenants,not scrotes who wreck a gaff then get moved on so the flats aren't kips.Even if there were a few problems surely it's cheaper to fix them rather than pay for hotel rooms for possible tenants. Hotels aren't charities and it's costing local authorities a fortune to put people up in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hibernia Gardens

no

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

When you have a minister for housing who is so posh and upper class that its hard at times to even understand what he is saying what hope is there? Eoghan Murphy certainly has never had to experience sleeping rough, facing eviction etc, Nor has any of his family. We have totally unsuitable people as ministers. There is no compassion from any of them. If Leo has a heart attack, you can be sure he gets cardiac care immediately. If Covenys kid got knocked down you can be sure there would be an overnight change in the law with regards drink driving. Nobody in the Dail gives a flying fcuk about people.

At last someone gets to the root of the problem, it's the Minister's accent that causes homelessness, how come no one else ever realised this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

accountable to what?

Loitering within tent

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Loitering within tent

Loitering within the Galway tent... (sorry, cheep laugh)

anyways, I saw this tonight, and I thought it was relevant to this thread

Hundreds of rough sleepers in Scotland to be offered homes

Link
    This radical model places the most entrenched rough sleepers in permanent housing before they have dealt with their addiction, mental illness or other challenges. It works on the assumption that people make most progress when based in a stable home rather than a hostel or shared temporary accommodation.

Advertisement