Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym options Castlebar area

• 09-12-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

What are the different gym options available now in or around Castlebar?
    Mainly looking for a good weights section, and some cardio options.
    What are the Monthly Costs etc? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

The Movement is a great gym but its a bit expensive. I go to Barry McLoughlins gym in the Sportlann (McHale Park) He has recently upgraded the facilities and it has everything you could need at 40 per Month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

statto25 wrote: »
    The Movement is a great gym but its a bit expensive. I go to Barry McLoughlins gym in the Sportlann (McHale Park) He has recently upgraded the facilities and it has everything you could need at 40 per Month.

Would you know if they do student discounts and any idea of their opening hours?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Would you know if they do student discounts and any idea of their opening hours?

Which gym AllForIt?

Which gym AllForIt?

Oh sorry, I mean the one in McHale park...

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I mean the one in McHale park...

I'm not sure of the opening hours with the new setup in there. I've yet to return myself after it was closed for renovations. Looking at their price list I don't see student options but chat to Barry the owner or David and they will steer you right.

I'm not sure of the opening hours with the new setup in there. I've yet to return myself after it was closed for renovations. Looking at their price list I don't see student options but chat to Barry the owner or David and they will steer you right.

Okay thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I joined the movement before Xmas and went to Breaffy house about 10 times over the last few months with friends.

Neither are amazing to be honest but here’s my honest unbiased review of both, may help someone else out. I know they are not like for like, one is a hotel gym and the other has a completely different target market.

The movement; I went for the silver, €60 per month with 8 classes
    Pros - Great variety of classes. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Good music, good vibe. Good weights and plenty of room downstairs.
    Cons - The lack of cardio equipment. The facilities need improvement, the male bathroom could do with some tlc and a toilet seat, 1 shower is a bit of a joke and any sign of wind the entrance door swings open. Opening hours at the weekend are a complete joke. Costly membership.

Breaffy house, I think it’s about €40 per month.
    Pros - better cleaner facilities, showers, changing rooms etc. Good cardio equipment. Nice pool, jacuzzi etc. Opening hours. Friendly staff.
    Cons - some classes cost extra. The weights area is a disaster and really needs re design and updating, it’s a mix mash of equipment from the arena gym and bits thrown in all over the place.

All in all, I won’t be rejoining the movement. I think Andy needs another look at his business plan as only opening for 5 hours at the weekend is a joke. When queried on this I was given the reason of ‘football’, all the staff don’t play football and it’s your customers you should be considering, not the staff!!

I do need to continue training in the Castlebar area so I’ll prob stick with Breaffy for now, even with the dodgy weights section!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Yeah would agree with piobhan's review of the movement..considering the cost the facilities like changing room, bathrooms, etc leave a lot to be desired. The weekend hours arent ideal either. Very friendly staff though as mentioned and the classes are fairly decent.
    I think they should just concentrate on classes and PT sessions and almost get rid of the gym membership option only. They should use downstairs for strength based classes and upstairs for the cardio/cicruit classes that they are already doing. I'd be interested in more of strength based classes in the evening but because its open to others to use, its not possible. Im sure they have thought about that option already so may not be feesible. They should come up with a survey on facilities, classes, recommendations etc for members to fill out and adopt some of the suggestions where they can.
    Never used the gym in Breaffy, the pool is a nice option to have though. Must give it a try for a month at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Apologies for digging up an old thread.

Nearly 3 years on, is it still just the 2 options for Gym in Castlebar. Moving to the area soon and looking at gyms for when we can use them again.

Cant find any pricing on the Movement, Breaffy looks to be 45 a month or 435 for the year.
    If you join the movement can you use both facilities or just one?

Any other recommendations? Training is strength focused so not too fussed on cardio equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

etxp wrote: »

Nearly 3 years on, is it still just the 2 options for Gym in Castlebar. Moving to the area soon and looking at gyms for when we can use them again.

Cant find any pricing on the Movement, Breaffy looks to be 45 a month or 435 for the year.

Any other recommendations? Training is strength focused so not too fussed on cardio equipment.

I don't "Gym" but I thought there were more but from the little I know.
    Gym at Lough Lanagh
    Gym at bowling alley
    Gym at Andy Moran place near Mchale park.
    Breaffy house
    Barry McLaughlin had a gym also in Sportlann I THINK.

I think the prices you quoted for Breaffy are incorrect, I think it is more like 500 or 600 they are looking for now for the year..

piobhan wrote: »
    I think the prices you quoted for Breaffy are incorrect, I think it is more like 500 or 600 they are looking for now for the year..

That seems crazy money for one year membership. I might give them a call but probably no one on the phones at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That seems crazy money for one year membership. I might give them a call but probably no one on the phones at the moment.

Seems to be still 435 on their website, 390 if you have a group of 4 joining together.

https://www.breaffyhouseresort.com/gym-membership-castlebar.html

Can't remember the last time I was in a gym but as a general observation of people I know that go there... the swimming pool, sauna etc would be the main selling point for them more so than the gym.

How the call go? What they say to you

piobhan wrote: »
    How the call go? What they say to you

Didnt get around to calling them yet.

Advertisement