Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaggia Classic repairs

• 09-12-2017 7:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,

I have a Gaggia Classic for the last two or so years and recently the power button has been giving me trouble (it’s one of the newer models with a ‘push in’ button rather than a switch; the power is coming on when I push the button in but goes off again the minute I let go).

I’m wondering where would be best to send it to get fixed - and whether I can expect a decent bill in the process.

I’m Dublin-based if that makes any odds.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

flogen wrote: »
    Hey there,

I have a Gaggia Classic for the last two or so years and recently the power button has been giving me trouble (it’s one of the newer models with a ‘push in’ button rather than a switch; the power is coming on when I push the button in but goes off again the minute I let go).

I’m wondering where would be best to send it to get fixed - and whether I can expect a decent bill in the process.

I’m Dublin-based if that makes any odds.

Thanks in advance

Kenilworth Electric in Harold's Cross are yer only man. Very sound guys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Slaphead07 wrote: »

I don't doubt that they are but they also know how to charge.

As someone who recently changed a Ulka pump, rubber gasket and gave my machine a general clean as I took different parts apart and then back together again I'd suggest open it up and have a look yourself.

It may be something obvious that you can fix yourself. Put a few pictures up here with a description of the problem and someone might be able to diagnose the problem.

When I had the leak problem someone on here correctly diagnosed a clogged Ukea which cost me about €15 for the part and a couple of hours to figure out how to fit it whilst putting everything back together again.

Maybe you won't be able to fix it but no harm in trying in the interest of learning about your machine for future issues and obviously making a big cost saving.

There's a full breakdown video of the old gaggia Classic machine on YouTube. I'm very tempted to do it. Might buy an old "broken" machine online to try it on before doing my own. Lol.

https://youtu.be/N9i-EH7qXOc

I know yours is the newer model but for other things in the future and others her might be interested in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

They're not cheap but I was given a full breakdown of the costs involved in getting an old Gaggia Classic going again. It's working better now than when new.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

As someone who recently changed a Ulka pump, rubber gasket and gave my machine a general clean as I took different parts apart and then back together again I'd suggest open it up and have a look yourself.

It may be something obvious that you can fix yourself. Put a few pictures up here with a description of the problem and someone might be able to diagnose the problem.

When I had the leak problem someone on here correctly diagnosed a clogged Ukea which cost me about €15 for the part and a couple of hours to figure out how to fit it whilst putting everything back together again.

Maybe you won't be able to fix it but no harm in trying in the interest of learning about your machine for future issues and obviously making a big cost saving.

There's a full breakdown video of the old gaggia Classic machine on YouTube. I'm very tempted to do it. Might buy an old "broken" machine online to try it on before doing my own. Lol.

https://youtu.be/N9i-EH7qXOc

I know yours is the newer model but for other things in the future and others her might be interested in it

I’d normally be willing to crack things open and have a look but was a bit anxious about doing it here. Might watch that video and see what’s involved - if it’s handy and relatively risk-free to open up I might give it a go. Thanks

They're not cheap but I was given a full breakdown of the costs involved in getting an old Gaggia Classic going again. It's working better now than when new.

Again not saying here bad. All I'm saying is as someone who was terrified of opening this (or any) machine open I saved a bucket of money for was ulutmately not a big job.

• Advertisement

flogen wrote: »
    I’d normally be willing to crack things open and have a look but was a bit anxious about doing it here. Might watch that video and see what’s involved - if it’s handy and relatively risk-free to open up I might give it a go. Thanks

Believe me when I say I am not a tech or machine guy. It terrified me opening but I did and read up on it, watched YouTube videos and asked on here. Eventually is enough info to give it a go. Labelling things as I went, taking photos as well. Essentially it's just a big Lego puzzle. The way I saw it was worst thing that can happen is I make it worse and then I HAVE to bring it to a shop to fix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just an update for anyone curious - I finally got around to having a look inside my Classic. Just a cursory glance to see if there was any obvious problem with the wiring or something loose etc.

I didn’t see anything that jumped out at me - bar a spark on one of the power button’s connections whenever I let go of it when trying to power it on.

Given that there’s power getting to the machine when I push the button in I’m assuming there’s a fault with the power mechanism itself... though it could be something else. I’m tempted to pick up a replacement power switch and see if that does the job (and I’m wondering if I could replace it with one of the old style ‘rocker’ buttons while I’m at it so I don’t have to deal with the stupid auto-off feature in the future).

Advertisement